New Release! (BTW 4.69)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.69)

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote:What makes me a little bit sad is that in a week you've largely fixed the performance issues that have plagued minecraft for years, and yet Mojang can't even produce a half assed feature in 4 months of dev time.
Actually, it was more like 4-5 days, I'd say most of the improvements occurred in the first 2-3, and I also did a fair amount of bug-fixing work on the mod in that time as well ;)

And yeah man, my own disappointment at seeing the code in 1.5 was what mainly inspired me to do this optimization pass. It's way outside of the stuff I normally choose to work on, as you guys know that I am primarily interested in gameplay (I have plenty of technical and optimization background mind you), but seriously...enough was enough. Prior to 1.5 they were saying their code would be somehow "better than Optifine", and then we got whatever that was instead, where they had to put out a patch just to bring performance back up to previous levels.

Anyways, one way or another, I'd finally had enough of their willy-nilly code additions to the inner rendering loop, especially given the time when they said they'd provide improvements had come and gone with no discernible difference, and frankly, with the rendering code looking even worse than it had previously (like that ridiculous string-compare nonsense).
retep998

Post by retep998 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Wibbles wrote:it's the smoothness! Not entirely sure how you can measure it.
Well...you can't really. Frame rate figures are largely irrelevant other than for benchmarking. Either it feels good, or it doesn't. It's all well and good if a change gives you a couple of hundred FPS per second, but if you're stuttering here and there, that'll have far more impact on your play experience.
I'd have to disagree with you here. It actually is possible to measure the smoothness of a game using something called frame time analysis. I know FRAPS can measure frame times and many benchmark/review sites are adding frame time analyses.
Spoiler
Show
If only FC knew that bunny for my avatar was from My Little Pony :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

retep998 wrote:I'd have to disagree with you here. It actually is possible to measure the smoothness of a game using something called frame time analysis. I know FRAPS can measure frame times and many benchmark/review sites are adding frame time analyses.
Fair enough. Can't say I care, but fair enough :)
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

SterlingRed wrote: What makes me a little bit sad is that in a week you've largely fixed the performance issues that have plagued minecraft for years, and yet Mojang can't even produce a half assed feature in 4 months of dev time.
One man working on limited donations/ vs. /Company worth $240 million. Who wins in terms gameplay value and development time and efficiency?

FlowerChild does.

Thanks again for the new release! I just visited the Nether, and 4.69 is definitely significantly faster there than 4.68 in terms of both smoothness and fps (15-20 or so in 4.68 vs. 18-23 in 4.69).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote: Thanks again for the new release! I just visited the Nether, and 4.69 is definitely significantly faster there than 4.68 in terms of both smoothness and fps (15-20 or so in 4.68 vs. 18-23 in 4.69).
Coolness. Out of curiosity, do you have a lot of Groth in your nether? Trying to narrow down the change that caused your increase.
retep998

Post by retep998 »

I decided to do some frametime analysis of chunk loading and world generation between BTW 4.67 and 4.69. Here are my results.
I created a creative world with the seed "Bench". As soon as the world was created I started recording the frametimes with FRAPS and flew in a straight direction for 60 seconds.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 805 2.5 GHz
4x 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM
2 TB 7200 RPM HDD
AMD Radeon 4890

MC settings:
Far view distance
Fancy graphics
Advanced OpenGL off
All particles
Vsync disabled
Balanced performance
Fullscreen at 1080p

Average FPS
4.67: 51.433
4.69: 52.717

Frametime percentiles
Above 10ms
4.67: 99.35%
4.69: 99.16%
Above 20ms
4.67: 26.02%
4.69: 27.90%
Above 30ms
4.67: 6.11%
4.69: 6.19%
Above 40ms
4.67: 1.54%
4.69: 1.87%
Above 50ms
4.67: 0.83%
4.69: 0.95%

Conclusion: BTW 4.69 has little to no effect on smoothness for me.
Further conclusions: I sound like a twat.
Last edited by retep998 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler
Show
If only FC knew that bunny for my avatar was from My Little Pony :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

retep998 wrote:Conclusion: BTW 4.69 has little to no effect on smoothness for me.
Conclusion: you sound like a twat when you adopt that kind of official tone :)

Thanks for the figures though.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

FlowerChild wrote: Coolness. Out of curiosity, do you have a lot of Groth in your nether? Trying to narrow down the change that caused your increase.
Not in the section that I was in at that point. I just ran back to the area where I have quite a bit of groth, and it did slow down a bit (possibly 1-3 fps), but not much. In case it helps, there is also a good number of other mod blocks at that base.

Further Notes: The area I was in originally had some large lava seas nearby and, I just checked, was actually in render range of my nether grothed region, but NOT most of my buildings. Based on this, it would seem that it was either the fluid improvements or the nether groth ones or both.
Last edited by Vexalor on Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

I said I was going to pull out an old laptop to test things on.. But I think the Centrino with 2GB of ram is a bit too old for a good test.. But overall it was less of a slideshow on 4.69.

I'll try to get my hands on a slightly better machine for the next tests.

Edit: At some point someone put Windows 7 on this thing.. It was designed for XP.. so i'm sure that didn't help the performance..
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

FC, that's it, you've done it. Quit now before you take it too far.

The Nether is playable......and Far.........and fancy graphics! Woohoo!

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awesome :)

And yes, as I mentioned in my dev diary, I'm largely done with optimizations for now, and have moved back onto gameplay.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Thank you so much :D I updated from 4.67 to 4.69b and my FPS went from 20-40 to 90-130. I don't know why my increase is so much more drastic than everyone else's, but I'm happy the game finally runs smoothly. Maybe it's because I play on OSX instead of Windows, or because I'm playing SMP. I don't know, but it's great! Thank you.
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

FlowerChild wrote:
ThatOneDude wrote:I've noticed a performance drop ever since 4.69. The last version of BTW I used was 4.66, (I just got around to updating my client/localhost.) In 4.66, while I was in a Skype call and running my localhost, I could play on normal and fast and get 28–30 FPS. However, I can't get anything above 20 with 4.69.
Errrr...that would be exceedingly surprising man, and benchmarking while running Skype is not really a reasonable thing to do.
Alright, I tested it again, this time only running my localhost with fast graphics and normal render distance.
I'm still experiencing less FPS than I've had in previous versions, though. I'm getting around 25, when usually I get 30.
Here are my system specs:
OSX 10.8.3
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
Quality comes before quantity.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sargunster wrote:Thank you so much :D I updated from 4.67 to 4.69b and my FPS went from 20-40 to 90-130. I don't know why my increase is so much more drastic than everyone else's, but I'm happy the game finally runs smoothly. Maybe it's because I play on OSX instead of Windows, or because I'm playing SMP. I don't know, but it's great! Thank you.
My pleasure man!

There were a few people on MCF that experienced crazy FPS gains as well. If I could hazard a guess, it would be that your CPU is likely the dominant bottle-neck on your system, as that is what my optimizations focus on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ThatOneDude wrote: Alright, I tested it again, this time only running my localhost with fast graphics and normal render distance.
I'm still experiencing less FPS than I've had in previous versions, though. I'm getting around 25, when usually I get 30.
Here are my system specs:
Sorry man, but I've heard nothing remotely similar from anyone else, and what you're saying just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so as per usual in those cases, I will assume user error is at play.

Maybe you have a background task running that you didn't used to, maybe you have a virus. Whatever it is, I doubt it's the mod.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Just wanted to pipe in and say I've finally been able to update minecraft/btw and tried out the new optimizations with a little experiment. Something that always dragged my game to a halt was chicken pits - specifically walking towards and away from them.

I made a little chicken hole with ~60 chickens, all bouncing in water. Without BTW, walking to and fro brought my game down to literally 0 FPS. Game froze for about half a minute before working again and placing me a few steps away. With BTW, not only did the game not freeze, but the FPS never dropped below 20. I don't even use this type of chicken farming anymore, but with those kinds of results, I don't see any animal farms ever giving me trouble again.

Besides that miraculous improvement, overall the game is so much more smoother now! Thanks for all the work you put into this, FC!