Most Common uses for Cauldrons

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
damianthedamned

Most Common uses for Cauldrons

Post by damianthedamned »

What's the most common way people use cauldrons on here?

just got one in game and naturally -as a noob to BTW- I don't really know how to efficiently use it much besides tanning leather. I barely know what to do with it. :\

wirer

Re: Most Common uses for Cauldrons

Post by wirer »

It cooks food. and makes hellfire ingots.

Stoking it allows you to recycle bows into 2 sticks 2strings, rotten arrows into flint, arrows into some other stuff, leather products into glue, meats into tallow, wood products into potash, make kibble, soap

or you could toss hellfire/gunpowder related materials in and blow your base up
Mud

Post by Mud »

The very first thing it will do for you is cook your food without consuming your fuel sources (wood/coal).
damianthedamned

i noticed it isnt cooking flour into bread. is that normal?
damianthedamned

and it's not like I haven't read the wiki about it. I was just trying to gauge the effectiveness of the foods it cooks. i like it not using any fuel a lot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If you have a zombie in a gimp suit, the uses are self-explanatory.
Mud

Post by Mud »

damianthedamned wrote:i noticed it isnt cooking flour into bread. is that normal?
the cauldron turns flour into donuts I believe.
damianthedamned

umm.. lol i know there's a gimp suit in the mod but as a noob to it idk if you're being humorous or for real lol.
wirer

Post by wirer »

cauldrons can't cook certain foods, like bread(use a furnace), baked potates(use a furnace), fried egg(use a furnace)

donuts need flour and sugar to form in a cauldron
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

its a big vat of water and oil, it won't cook bread. Bread is for baking, but if you add sugar to the flour in the cauldron is makes doughnuts, which are not as good as bread in my opinion... But it can cook stews, look at the BTW changelog in the wiki for versions 4.60 and up, they have the recipes for the new food.

Edit: partly Ninja'd
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
damianthedamned

yeah. it makes sense when I think about it. as a cook I should have immediately realised that. I suppose notch has the idea of multi-use cooks everything easy magic block in my head lol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think we should stop going off-topic and talk more about this zombie thing.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

If you don't have a lot of meat, you won't get too much use out of a cauldron. (You can boil potatoes, though. Functionally equivalent.)

Cauldrons will collect things dropped in the top of it - use water flows to direct your millstone output to there.

You'll need a cauldron to tan leather, which is how you get a saw.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, spoilers:
Spoiler
Show
1 carrot + 1 potato + creeper oysters + zombie in gimp suit in the cauldron = ?
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

FlowerChild wrote:I think we should stop going off-topic and talk more about this zombie thing.
Well, once you get the zombie in the gimp suit, it's hard to get him into the cauldron...but once you do... well that's the ticket. Chicken fried zombie. Flour, egg, rotten flesh, creeper oysters...

Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Does the zombie's abs show as much as it's ass?

I use the cauldron for cauldron-y things. Like sacrificing chickens.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Benanov wrote: Well, once you get the zombie in the gimp suit, it's hard to get him into the cauldron...but once you do... well that's the ticket. Chicken fried zombie. Flour, egg, rotten flesh, creeper oysters...
It's easier if you tip the cauldron. You just kinda have to back him into it and tip it repeatedly until he hops in.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Other than their primary use, which is boiling live zombies of course, they can also be used for item collection.

Cauldrons are accessible pre saw, meaning they can be used in place of hoppers early game for collecting items. An expensive replacement mind you, but in a pinch it'll do.

Also cauldrons can be used to collect/store items in builds that a hopper would normally catch on fire. Like an automated kiln for example. Of course at this point you might as well use a crucible as they're much cheaper.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

FlowerChild wrote:
Benanov wrote: Well, once you get the zombie in the gimp suit, it's hard to get him into the cauldron...but once you do... well that's the ticket. Chicken fried zombie. Flour, egg, rotten flesh, creeper oysters...
It's easier if you tip the cauldron. You just kinda have to back him into it and tip it repeatedly until he hops in.
I prefer to tip my gimp-suited zombies in cash.

PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Benanov wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
I prefer to tip my gimp-suited zombies in cash.
Wat.

I don't even...
razar51

Post by razar51 »

damianthedamned wrote:What's the most common way people use cauldrons on here?

just got one in game and naturally -as a noob to BTW- I don't really know how to efficiently use it much besides tanning leather. I barely know what to do with it. :\
Before the changes to iron they were my primary item collection blocks until I made it to crucible tech. Most of my automated structures would have cauldrons at the end as the storage devices since they have more inventory space than hoppers and wouldn't output enough to warrant setting up power to place the items in chests.
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

Cauldrons used to be amazing for item collection! I remember my first semi-auto dung farm using a cauldron because I hadn't yet gotten a saw, much less a hopper.

Now the iron could be better used elsewhere, and by the time you have a good supply of iron you likely also have access to hoppers.

I'll admit, I haven't gotten to cauldron tech without dying since BTW updated to 1.5.1, however.

My most common use for cauldrons aside from low-tech item collection is for cooking and tanning leather.

It's been ages since I've gotten to the point where I can stoke a cauldron, much less a point where rendering items is a thing.
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.