What mods are people still using with BTW?

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Whuppee

Re: What mods are people still using with BTW?

Post by Whuppee »

I'm running 4.65 with 1.4.7.

ModLoader, of course.

MCPatcher for HD Textures and Connected Textures, specifically, though I also leave HD Font, Custom Colors, Better Skies, and Better Glass checked.

For testing, however, even with a creative world, I like to have Single Player Commands and Too Many Items.

When updating to 4.65 (from 4.20), I dropped SPC for incompatibility. TMI seems fine, though.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I'll probably stick to using MCPatcher for stuff like random textures etc. Since the author is trying to actively keep it compatible, and I appreciate the extra eye-candy when recording, it generally works quite alright.
On top of that I use Craftguide and CameraStudio. Both of them are great help during recording, as its much quicker to look up recipes, and camera studio makes pretty timelapses :)
Wookieguy

Post by Wookieguy »

I successfully installed Convenient Inventory, and it seems to be working fine.
Ferrus.Manus wrote:Yeah, I used to use convenient inventory before it was no longer updated.
Its updated now, if not with some reports of bugs. I haven't encountered any.
Estimated airspeed velocity of an unladen European swallow: 24 mph
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

I'm using MagicLauncher.

That's it. Nothing else.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I usually run craftguide, because my memory is rubbish, and I also use risugami's more stackables, because inventory. Not enough slots. The latter kinda clashes with the later versions of btw limiting food stacks though.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

MAtmos seems to be as compatible and awesome as ever...probably the only one I'll be using though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

There are other mods?
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

MAtmos and Audiotori
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I dabble with Better or Custom ore generation from time to time.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

MCPatcher and Custom Ore Generation
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I was trying out BOD and COG for interesting ore generation until the hardcore iron update. At this point I'm afraid to mess with the balance too much so I'm not using anything.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Agrees Sarudak, COG and BOD SEVERELY impact the balance of early game after hardcore iron. Depending on your spawn/HCspawn it can make early game take a half hour less or sometimes Hours more.

I only use mcpatcher for BTW with Six's map frames. Although I occasionally dip into a WIP (forever) addon mod I've been making, but no other mods.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Six

Post by Six »

I'm just using my visual item frame mod and CraftGuide. Recipe discovery has always been unintuitive in Minecraft, and CraftGuide does a good job at mitigating this.
Thalarctia wrote: I'll probably stick to using MCPatcher for stuff like random textures etc. Since the author is trying to actively keep it compatible, and I appreciate the extra eye-candy when recording, it generally works quite alright.
I have to say of all the 'high res' texture packs, I really like the one you guys use, and the connected textures from MCPatcher make it looks really interesting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I think I have enough to go on.

Why I asked is because I'm currently considering moving away from Modloader support, and have been for awhile now.

This is for a few reasons:

-First, Modloader doesn't support SMP which has required me to maintain my own scaled down code to replace its functionality. This is also why there is no add-on support for SMP at present. In order to solve that problem, I basically need to write an SMP compatible API that has similar functionality to Modloader, and if I'm going to do that, I'd rather unify the code base and use it for both client and server. I had originally hoped back in the days of the 1.3 port that ML might eventually go SMP as well, but at this stage, it really doesn't look like that's going to happen, so my own code seems to be the way to go.

-The future of ML has been coming more and more into doubt with each release of vanilla as fewer mods support it, with FML having largely taken over its "market share", with more of its functionality assimilated into vanilla itself (like this texture thing), and with the question of how long Risu is going to want to maintain it given all of that. IMO, it's basically only a matter of time before it just isn't worthwhile for him to maintain it, and I've basically been anticipating potentially having to make this move anyways with each vanilla release.

-You may have noticed that a fair amount of confusion pops up around update time with people installing the wrong version of ML, not being able to find the download for the old version, etc. In general, moving away from ML would simplify the installation process, and in particular would make that kind of confusion go away.

-Lastly, I'm pretty tired of noobs popping up and insisting on using a minimap mod, or other balance killing mods (like treepatictor) with BTW and thus throwing the balance I've been working so hard on completely out of whack without knowing any better. While this isn't my primary motivation here, I'd really prefer if that went away and I could be fairly certain that the mod was being played as intended. Now, more than ever before, BTW is obviously intended as a standalone mod and its overall balance has become far more sensitive to these kinds of things as of late.

Obviously, such a move wouldn't affect add-ons beyond the need to switch a few calls around to use my new system instead of ML.

I haven't made any final decisions yet, but from looking over the mods you guys have listed, I think my next step will be to try and get in touch with the MCPatcher author and discuss with him whether such a change would affect compatibility there. Also, if the Craftguide author would be willing to maintain compatibility through such a change, that would also be grand, so I'll likely try to speak to him about it as well.

Anyways, thanks again for your posts on this, as it's given me a lot more info to work with.