New Release! (BTW V4.66) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Simurgh

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.66) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

Post by Simurgh »

Yep, gone from like 18/20 fps up to 40/42 after btw install, so it's defo not just Dave seeing this. Whatever you've done to make that difference is more than welcome :)

Thanks for all your hard work and enjoy your day off from the mod...I mean from the conversion.
Sandaman

Post by Sandaman »

Woot. Now I can get back to play BTW. Missed the chance of updating to 1.4.7 so I was without Minecraft for a while. I am really looking forward to playing with all the hardcore changes you implented.

Thanks a lot Flowerchild for the amazing mod
.. I mean Total conversion ;D.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Foxy Boxes wrote:Just a guess but maybe it was ripping out rail-avoidance?
Huh. I hadn't thought of it, but that's a distinct possibility.

Hehe...all right, I guess I'll do an optimization pass on pathfinding as well then ;)
Psion

Post by Psion »

Apologies for the off-topic, FC. ><

On topic, I'm really loving the change to the repeater recipe. I've always cursed over how much redstone they require to make, but the change to using quartz both lowers the redstone cost and makes the repeater something that requires you to go to the nether to obtain, making it feel more like you're progressing in redstone technology instead of having it all available at once! ^^
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Two thoughts.

Is the FPS jump still as dramatic in SMP? (The server's doing the mob pathfinding.)

And as far as Nether Quartz, this seems to indicate a map reset of very explored SMP servers - at least the nether, especially in the cases where the nether has been very well explored. I take your remarks on the official server about a map reset to be pretty serious - and yet it seems like this change, while good for gameplay, nearly necessitates one on older servers.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Or just explore the nether in a new direction and build a rail line. If the map has a heavily explored nether the chances of iron abundancy approach certainty.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Benanov wrote: And as far as Nether Quartz, this seems to indicate a map reset of very explored SMP servers - at least the nether, especially in the cases where the nether has been very well explored. I take your remarks on the official server about a map reset to be pretty serious - and yet it seems like this change, while good for gameplay, nearly necessitates one on older servers.
I don't really feel it does. A communal project to build a rail line out to a new nether dig site is certainly feasible even on very old servers. If anything it provides some nice incentive for such a project.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just changed the link in the OP to the 'c' version which corrects problems loading custom config files on the client.

If you don't use a config file, or if you're running a server, there's no need to redownload, as that's the only thing that has changed.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Snip -Flower
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

For fuck sake: snip -Flower
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Errr...dude, when moderators start posting spoilers in release threads clearly labeled "no spoilers", we have issues :)
Six

Post by Six »

Benanov wrote: And as far as Nether Quartz, this seems to indicate a map reset of very explored SMP servers - at least the nether, especially in the cases where the nether has been very well explored. I take your remarks on the official server about a map reset to be pretty serious - and yet it seems like this change, while good for gameplay, nearly necessitates one on older servers.
I already went and got some on the official server last night, only took a little bit of digging out from my entrance to the Nether. And once you're there the ore is very much available in abundance.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Perhaps I'm a little late, but:
Spoiler
Show
Even these aren't acceptable here. Take it to the spoiler thread.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: I already went and got some on the official server last night, only took a little bit of digging out from my entrance to the Nether. And once you're there the ore is very much available in abundance.
Yeah, Quartz really is crazy abundant. As I anticipated pre-release, I verified through testing that it's basically a "non-resource" in terms of being so readily available that it's very unlikely to ever be in short supply once you hit the nether.

From what I read, it has the exact same abundance as iron in the overworld (i.e. way too much), plus you don't have the surface cover of earth in the nether, so it's visible just about everywhere.

It's pretty sad that Mojang would include a new resource just to make it immediately irrelevant through its own oversupply, but whatever. I do like that it gives something to break up the monotony while digging through or exploring the nether, as I always thought it a shame there was nothing to do so, I just wish they hadn't designed it specifically for the A.D.D. crowd.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:as I always thought it a shame there was nothing to do so, I just wish they hadn't designed it specifically for the A.D.D. crowd.
Hey now. Don't lump me in a supporter of Mojang's design decisions!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Hey now. Don't lump me in a supporter of Mojang's design decisions!
Given your gameplay inclinations, I would be exceedingly surprised if you suffered from A.D.D. :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Then you may now count yourself exceedingly surprised. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Then you may now count yourself exceedingly surprised. ;)
Oh wow. Indeed I am. Off-topic for sure though, so let's take this elsewhere :)
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

FlowerChild wrote:
CrafterOfMines57 wrote:But I thought 1.5 would surely be the update to kill BTW, completely unlike the last 10!
I already made sure to rub that in over twitter ;)
Excellent.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Thanks very kindly FC, it's an excellent update as always. Looking forward to seeing what you've got in store now that this challenge is wrapped up.
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

OMG, I don't believe it!
Spoiler
Show
The version number! It changed! :P
Seriously though, looks like the only things from 1.5.1 to survive were the things I was looking forward to, and I especially love the first surprise I've found.

Thanks FC!
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Because I've been busy doing other things, I haven't actually played BTW since before 4.65, until a few minutes ago, when I just experienced the beginning of the new early game for the first time while playing around in a newly BTW'd installation of 1.5. Obviously I'm not going to go into any detail here, but I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for the amazing work you've done with it all. You truly are a genius when it comes to game design. The early game is actually really fun now! I had no idea just how awesome it had become! The whiners can just suck it, they don't know what they're missing!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:The whiners can just suck it
So many potential splash-screen texts, so little time ;)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

So I am grounded (only a couple months till I graduate) and I can't really play this yet, or update my server yet. And all that I have to say after looking at the spoilers is:

fuck
peanut3k

Post by peanut3k »

I just did a test on my laptop to check what the fps difference was between MC 1.5.1 without BTW 4.66 and MC 1.5.1 with BTW 4.66 and, for me, the difference between them is unnoticeable without looking at the debug info, in which case MC 1.5.1 without BTW wins by 1 frame. My average was around 58-61 without BTW and was 57-60 with BTW. This was done with FPS++ mod installed on both vanilla and BTW .jar's (single base-class edit). Regardless, I can't wait to see what the fps will be with the optimizations in the coming update.
As for the update itself, awesome work (although that really goes without saying). Although I'm kinda bummed out having to explore even more of the nether for nether quartz (went quite a significant distance in search of a nether fortress), but I can manage, especially if it means no longer having to drain redstone into the black hole that was the redstone repeater. I also enjoy finally having a high-efficiency recipe for the turntable as I was going through quite a bit of stone making them normally (in additions to the repeaters) for an automated urn maker I'm working on in my private server. The tripwire hooks in crucible for iron is also great (now I have a reason to actually get them). Also, congratulations for finally getting rid of Forge!
As always, I can't wait to see how you'll fix MC in the next update.

Question:
Spoiler
Show
I was wondering if I could make a thread for BTW compatible mods. I searched this up and couldn't find any clear answer and I didn't want to make a new thread for this in tech support just for it to get locked.