Witch Farms

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gdnite

Witch Farms

Post by Gdnite »

I was just wonder how do people do their witch farm, as Im having issues getting anything to spawn in the one I made.
Kazuya Mishima

Re: Witch Farms

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Gdnite wrote:I was just wonder how do people do their witch farm, as Im having issues getting anything to spawn in the one I made.
It's my understanding you need to get pretty extreme with lighting every surface as you have little control over the spawning area which is very small. Because of the size you have to work with you basically have to light up everything underground to maximize efficiency so you cannot simply build a massive mob trap.

This is what Docm did in his video
Spoiler
Show
but he used an editor to fill in the subterranean to do it. Needless to say this is a project that will likely take you days to do, months if you get really bored looking for caves in the underworld. Once you have that set it should be actually easier to funnel or control the witch mobs as you are dealing with smaller dimensions to collect from.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

In my experience with a manual farm they spawn quickly enough. During the day, I would walk away, wait a few minutes, come back, and there'd be one to three witches spawned. Obviously lighting everything would improve it but making a farm without it is certainly viable. I, personally, only use their drops to make fire resistance potions so I really need two-three drops per trip to the nether and my farm has sufficed.
ion

Post by ion »

you can only have 2 spawning pads where only witches can spawn in it and that surface is limited. you really need to light up caves around. if the hut is in a lake even better, else you need to light up the above ground too.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I can confirm lighting being critical. I set up a spawner building for them all dark standard vine traps, water flowing to a central 1x1 drop trap. It wasn't until I'd spent half a dozen real life hours at least lighting up the surface and the underground areas that I started seeing an output. Now the farm seems to produce at a rate of 1wart/min. I intend to do more lighting to improve it when I run out of my current supply.

Edit: Also I don't recommend a drop trap for these guys. They have more hp than other mobs and it takes nearly twice the fall distance to kill them.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I've been able to kill witches with a 23 block drop, so its not too bad - About the same as zombies really. But the main challenge, as has been pointed out, is lighting. The one I've been experimenting on only started spawning witches after I had gone through 4 stacks of torches, and even then, it was a pretty abysmal rate.