What is an Ancient Manuscript??? [Spoilers]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Elfzhen

What is an Ancient Manuscript??? [Spoilers]

Post by Elfzhen »

I just found an item in a chest deep down in a mineshaft. It looks like a normal book only it has a red ribbon around it. Also, it glows like it is enchanted. When you mouse over the icon the name "Ancient Manuscript" is in gold lettering. When you right click the book while holding it you are prompted with the message "The language of this text is unfamiliar to you."

Does anyone know what this is? I cannot figure it out and I can't find anything on the internet about it. My apologies if I have just missed something painfully obvious.
Thalarctia

Re: What is an Ancient Manuscript???

Post by Thalarctia »

It's most likely what used to be enchanted books, but since they are useless in BTW, I would think FlowerChild changed their name to reflect that there is no use for the item, to counter all the "y my enhunted buks no work?".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmm...sounds like we may be dealing with a little something something.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Sounds like FC's newest mysterious addition then. Curious that he'd put stuff like that in a chest though. Guess he really does want us exploring more, huh?Anyhow, it's far more likely that it's an attempted april fool's joke ;).
Elfzhen

Post by Elfzhen »

Here is a picture of it http://i.imgur.com/uAV02XP.png

Sorry if some consider this spoilers or this breaks a rule. I didn't see anything concerning this is the rules though.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Try tossing it into an infernal enchanter?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I like the "The language of the text is unfamiliar to you." message in the background.
Sage

Post by Sage »

Oh, wow, if this is the beginning of the something that ties BTW to RTH I risk to rip an hole in my pants! I always loved to death when games subtly put a story through little, secondary stuff :D Something like the ruin of alpha in Pokemon GSC, looking at it now in retrospect they were nothing, but when I was little me and my sister theorized a lot about them, and I still get a chill down my spine when I hear the music. If something like that is coming to BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

I have played around with these items since the newest update come out, and short of tossing them onto one of my hibachi's, I am absolutely clueless as to what they are for. I ended up making a post about them in the release thread, but it seems no one noticed that I was talking about this item.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kaitocain wrote:I have played around with these items since the newest update come out, and short of tossing them onto one of my hibachi's, I am absolutely clueless as to what they are for. I ended up making a post about them in the release thread, but it seems no one noticed that I was talking about this item.
Spoilers are not allowed in the release threads, which is why I think people ignored you.

I was tired when I saw it, so I didn't issue a warning for it or anything, but that's likely why nobody responded.

EDIT: Warning issued and that spoiler deleted. Thanks for reminding me :)
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

You can put it in your rare books collection.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Xeo wrote:http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

http://xkcd.com/593/

It' obvious really.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Folrig wrote:
Xeo wrote:http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

http://xkcd.com/593/

It' obvious really.
Some kind of tabletop mini-game inside of BTW? For those long nights on your server...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I hate to admit it, but the villagers having played D&D while stoned one too many times does pretty much explain the entire MC world in one go :)

EDIT: Actually, it also resolves a lingering design issue for me too in terms of why you find hemp seeds scattered all over the landscape. A once proud civilization brought to its knees by excessive RPG and weed consumption! Time for a rewrite! ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Elfzhen wrote: Sorry if some consider this spoilers or this breaks a rule. I didn't see anything concerning this is the rules though.
You're not breaking any rules but I added [spoilers] to your thread title so people can avoid seeing what they don't want to.

Just don't make any suggestions and you should be fine bro. ;)
Elfzhen

Re: What is an Ancient Manuscript??? [Spoilers]

Post by Elfzhen »

Well I still haven't found any use for it. I don't an infernal enchanter to try that though and I'm miles from having steel any time soon. I just built a shrine to it just in case it is haunted.
Elfzhen

Post by Elfzhen »

Ok I don't know if what I just encountered was just the most insane case of random luck or if this is a bug. I stumbled upon another Ancient Manuscript in a new mineshaft which was very surprising since I was under the impression that they were probably very rare. Then I go down just a little further and round a corner finding a zombie dungeon with three chests. Every chest contained an Ancient Manuscript.

Is this is a bug or just dumb luck?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

From the look of it Ancient manuscript is actually just a replacement for enchanted books from vanilla which were actually fairly common to find as loot. Enchanted books had no use in BTW since the vanilla anvil doesn't work so it makes sense he would replace them with something.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Im so curious about it. Can someone who has found them and is higher up in the tech tree try something for me?
Spoiler
Show
Its a blind shot but, put on some endergoggles and try reading the damn book, maybe steve is kinda blind. I think its the necronomicon or something.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Well you can get them by enchanting books so I'm guessing they don't do anything/are valuable to priests.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Foxy Boxes wrote:Well you can get them by enchanting books so I'm guessing they don't do anything/are valuable to priests.
Wait...you can? Mother Fucker.

Ok, please don't do that until I fix it.
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

Spoiler
Show
Edit: I was wrong. Continue the search. Hrm.

Found what I was doing in a previous change log.
On topic: It makes glue. *shrugs*
Last edited by Kaitocain on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kaitocain wrote:I figured out what they are for.
If you have some evidence that's what they are for, then please present it, as you're looking at a bug.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

For anyone interested I can confirm they are part of random dungeon loot as well. Still found no use for them though.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

In reply to Wafflewaffle:
Spoiler
Show
Ender goggles do not assist in reading ancient manuscripts.
I can also confirm that ancient manuscripts are the old enchanted books because I kept all of mine instead of melting them down into glue (collection value and all that).

Ancient manuscripts do not seem to interact with infernal enchanters either (tested with a mattock and chain helm I had on hand).