New Release! (BTW V4.62)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.62)

Post by FlowerChild »

jakerman999 wrote:Nothing really difficult, just annoying.
jakerman999 wrote: I don't know that I'd start playing BTW from a new world if I was just introduced to it today, purely because the 'selling points' of the mod, what I'd be interested in as a player, don't show up until after sinking hours upon hours into a world with little to show in the results.
jakerman999 wrote: I think it's time to redefine what BTW brings to the table, because it isn't a tech mod anymore. It's just about at the point of total conversion.
Not sure whether to ban you or agree with you, but I do definitely agree on the last point. I plan on changing the title to be a "total conversion" once I port to 1.5.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I go to check the forums before sleep and... this... this amazing update.
Sleep is a sign of weakness. Patch the server, patch all the clients.

I have to try out these changes, especially since my current HCH-era world is more or less iron-less.
FlowerChild wrote:
darahalian wrote:But making chainmail a thing, and leather armor, too... and.. and...
As I've said previously man: wrapping up BTW means dragging vanilla kicking and screaming into being a complete game as well ;)
If this is "wrapping up" you're doing a fine job creating things to keep us busy while RTH is in the works. It's getting hard to find the "vanilla" in my minecraft.

I approve.
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

This update is amazing. Overall they look like excellent changes but the hardcore armour and iron ingot part really stand out to me.
I love the idea of wearing different armours for different situations like traveling/mining/exploring caves. Also, added incentive of mixing in leather into your armour set is very interesting.
I'm thinking at the start of the game an all leather set with a iron breastplate could be the way to go for day-to-day stuff.
The ability to create chainmail pretty much warrants a celebration in itself too!

The increasing scarcity of iron is fine by me as I felt like I had waaay too much of it within 20 minutes anyway. I also felt I had way too much coal and smelting 9x as much iron seems like that'll fix that surplus right up.

Going start from scratch in an unexplored portion of my server world with some friends to see how it feels with all the new hardcore modes. I have an unhealthy addiction to restarting...
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Wgurgh

Post by Wgurgh »

I just have to say that these last several updates have done so much to "justify" the way I have played minecraft from the beginning. I have taken a bit of ribbing over the year and a half I have been playing for using stone tools so late in the game. Iron picks are for gold, redstone, and diamond only. Anywhere I will be travelling at all often should be made to not need jumping. Staying inside at night. Getting food situation under control before starting other things.

Yes, I will admit that I get twinges of worry when I read some of these changelogs, but I have learned by now to suck it up and try it first. I also think the harder you work for something, the more you enjoy it when you have it. I also see that I will probably be building a mobtrap in the near future, as even as careful as I am with iron I tend to never have enough. This is a GOOD thing though.

I really want to check out hardcore spawn, but I have it disabled because I play with my son and my friend. In both of these cases we have limited time to play together and I don't want to have that time spent with us not being working together. I would change it for when I play solo but I am afraid I would forget to change it back.

Thank you for bringing the fear back as well, man. Been a long, long time since I have run screaming like a little girl from anything in MC. Well it had been until last night...
wirer

Post by wirer »

Armor Weight....

THIS IS AMAZING, AND I HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED IT YET.

Chain armor is finally practical. Full Iron is not as much. Leather is in style now. we should have fashion shows.

Have I told you how much I love/loath you, FC?

I might have to dig up that old texture pack that makes chain armor look more badass...
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Wow, very neat release! It seems you're releasing even more new features than previously, although you're wrapping up BTW... but I won't complain! :) Wonderful work! Thank you Flowerchild :)

Oh and about the fact that you actually spend more time in ages - I love that. In Vanilla you would be able to have everything the game has to offer in a couple of hours... So yeah, you're amazing!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Spot on with the iron change. I felt like progression was a bit jumpy with the HCH mode, but now it feels exactly right in pace. Tried the new release out for the first hour or so and everything seems to be perfect now.

I've decided I'm going to refrain from playing for now though. I want the early game feature set to stabilize a bit before doing a proper play-through.

It's weird. Before beacons, BTW always had about 6-10 hours of "prime" content for me. That's the time it took me to see most of the mod if I rushed it. I'll have to bench-mark it, but I'm pretty sure the time to fully sample the mod at rush tempo went up to at least 25-30 hours if not a lot more. Fun times :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Gilberreke wrote:Spot on with the iron change. I felt like progression was a bit jumpy with the HCH mode, but now it feels exactly right in pace. Tried the new release out for the first hour or so and everything seems to be perfect now.

I've decided I'm going to refrain from playing for now though. I want the early game feature set to stabilize a bit before doing a proper play-through.

It's weird. Before beacons, BTW always had about 6-10 hours of "prime" content for me. That's the time it took me to see most of the mod if I rushed it. I'll have to bench-mark it, but I'm pretty sure the time to fully sample the mod at rush tempo went up to at least 25-30 hours if not a lot more. Fun times :)

I'm doing the same thing :P Overall I'm giving myself a couple weeks off of gaming (getting some moving and real world stuff accomplished while fitting in a new schedule) to get some motivation and excitment back, but also because I feel like I need to play this early mode survival from start to finish. :P

but c'mon man, 25-30 hours? If I don't rush it I expect steel to take me about uhm.... wait that requires me to get to steel.... XD
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

"horripilation"

:)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

JakeZKAM wrote:but c'mon man, 25-30 hours? If I don't rush it I expect steel to take me about uhm.... wait that requires me to get to steel.... XD
Well, the trick used to be that automation actually slows you down if you do a content rush. I'm not sure if that is still a valid tactic.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Honestly, I was taken aback by the huge iron change, but I think I like it. The clock thing made gold from villager clocks virtually impossible, which is great, and I love the armour changes (I rarely wear anything other than boots, so this is great for me).
All in all, a really great, well thought out release. Beware of MCF though :P
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Roflpofl

Post by Roflpofl »

72 iron ore for one screw pump....Agony awaits me!
Well, seems like I am quite the masochist.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The crucial answer to all iron related questions:

Build a mob trap :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: It's weird. Before beacons, BTW always had about 6-10 hours of "prime" content for me. That's the time it took me to see most of the mod if I rushed it. I'll have to bench-mark it, but I'm pretty sure the time to fully sample the mod at rush tempo went up to at least 25-30 hours if not a lot more. Fun times :)
Man, I honestly have no idea how long the overall tech tree would take to play through after these changes. Definitely longer, and yeah, I get the impression it's at least doubled over the past couple of months.

I used to clock it in around 10 hours. I think 20+ is probably a conservative guess.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

FlowerChild wrote:Man, I honestly have no idea how long the overall tech tree would take to play through after these changes. Definitely longer, and yeah, I get the impression it's at least doubled over the past couple of months.
It's really interesting how much this combos well with your "no world breaking" policy - a longer tree creates more than enough reasons for us to bond with our worlds, I bet this will cure the restart world syndrome in lots of people.

Amazing release, man. Thank you.
--Who do you think you are, War?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

chaoticneutral wrote:It's really interesting how much this combos well with your "no world breaking" policy - a longer tree creates more than enough reasons for us to bond with our worlds, I bet this will cure the restart world syndrome in lots of people.

Amazing release, man. Thank you.
It's actually a real problem that has come up before. There's people that never ever played around with soulforged steel, just because they could never reach it before world reset syndrome hit them.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Finally a reason to grab all the iron you see in a cave exploration.

You know, other modders would have probably thought about just decreasing the amount of iron ore available on world generation. You made a new item, increased the value of iron tools and armor proportionally, and made a logical way and a reason to make mail armor, which was otherwise just a useless item that made no sense that was just added to regular gameplay by trading it with villagers.

Saying I <3 you is saying too little. And to think there's RTF coming makes it even more amazing.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

chaoticneutral wrote:It's really interesting how much this combos well with your "no world breaking" policy - a longer tree creates more than enough reasons for us to bond with our worlds, I bet this will cure the restart world syndrome in lots of people.
You mean other than that everyone seems to be starting new worlds just to experience the new content from the start? :P
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Dude... I don't recall reading a change log that long before.

The iron change won't affect me and my buddy on our server in the near future as we already have a huge mob trap that outputs silly amounts of iron, but this is something I'll be glad to test once we or I start a new world.
Definitely more time consuming though. Oh well.

With regards to iron consumption early game I saw you mentioning wooden buckets. Is it something you really consider?

And, oh my, all those changes to armors... That's absolutely brilliant!

Thanks a lot for the update man!
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Sounds devious....

Just a quick question. Is it only iron that smelts into nuggets or does gold too?
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Just woke up to this. Awesome update and the changes to iron has me very excited! It's a shame I've finished my water tower with pumps etc already but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll eventually start a new world to try all of this out again. :)

Overall I am very happy with what you've been doing with the mod lately FC. It certainly makes for a much richer experience! Thank you.
Shengji

!

Post by Shengji »

Another blindingly good release! With the changes you've made to iron, you've added to BTW one half of the reason that I install BOD with my game - I hated the ease of Iron, so my solution was to hide it forcing the player to organise expeditions to find it - you made it 9 times less valuable which achieves much the same thing!

Love Hard Core Armour, it's a perfect fit to the game, and honestly I had assumed it was already part of HCH which is why I already had limited myself to leather for journeys away from my home!

Just one quick question, sorry if it has been mentioned, I have reread it 3 times and can't see it but I do have a migraine, is there a way to get long grass in the game already or added by this update?

Can I give you a special thank-you for the flint and steel recipe becoming shapeless, I get that one wrong every time!

And on behalf of my son, thanks for removing hunger from creative. I'm aware some part of you was tempted to leave it in because of people using it to experiment, and I didn't write this at the time because it would have looked like I was trying to convince you to make the change, but people who are going to take shortcuts like that always will. There are plenty of us who play as intended without metagaming and the others will be impossible to stop!

Ironically you changed the hunger drain from using the handcrank, I had written a post in the ideas thread taking back my previous feedback but you locked the post in the time it took me to write it! I had started again to double test my findings and where I was much more experienced with HCH, doing things correctly I found my previous feedback was too strong! I know you didn't just take my word for it though and tested it yourself, and I see you described it as a slight change so all I can say is thankyou for taking my feedback seriously and not slamming it down, even though you probably knew in advance that it was too strong because I wasn't doing HCH quite right :)

Another great update, thank you!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
manjiBoy

Re: !

Post by manjiBoy »

Shengji wrote:Just one quick question, sorry if it has been mentioned, I have reread it 3 times and can't see it but I do have a migraine, is there a way to get long grass in the game already or added by this update?
Shears. (vanilla feature)
Shengji

Re: !

Post by Shengji »

manjiBoy wrote:
Shengji wrote:Just one quick question, sorry if it has been mentioned, I have reread it 3 times and can't see it but I do have a migraine, is there a way to get long grass in the game already or added by this update?
Shears. (vanilla feature)

Aha! Thanks!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
manjiBoy

Post by manjiBoy »

Do cows need to eat several times before you can milk them? I've been waiting around a cow farm a while now and they aren't becoming milkable. Anyway, thanks for another awesome release! If only I had enough resources to try out this new 'Mystery Meat' :D

EDit: Nevermind, I've found out for myself :)
Last edited by manjiBoy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.