Make the player marker on maps always be the dot.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Six

Make the player marker on maps always be the dot.

Post by Six »

After some rather extensive use of maps, I think this change would make maps feel a lot more interesting to use. As it stands, I stare at the map, spin till the arrow is pointing in the way I want to go, then move off. If the marker was changed to always be the directionless dot, you would have to look at the map, then look up at the sun/moon or surrounding landmarks to actually get your bearings, and then move off. I feel this would create more of connection between the map and the landscape, rather than just staring at the map like a screen pointing you where to go.
xou816

Re: Make the player marker on maps always be the dot.

Post by xou816 »

I like the idea. Seems very logic! And I love using the position of the sun to know where I am.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Make the player marker on maps always be the dot.

Post by FlowerChild »

Sorry man, I've put about as much work into maps as I'm going to. I don't like'em...don't use'em, think they're poorly designed, and would have preferred to rip them out entirely but left them in only as a very rare concession to other players, taking care of only their worst exploits.

So yeah...I'm done with them, and good riddance :)

Moral of this story: don't make suggestions about maps because it only serves to remind me how much I'd like to rip them out. They're fundamentally flawed in that they will inevitably act as a GPS and direction indicator no matter what is done to them, because a blank map which you are magically filling in as you move automatically provides that functionality. Anything beyond what I've already done just feels like a kludge on top of that, that serves the same role, but just makes it a tad more annoying to use.

Introducing error into mapping inevitably relies on the human factor, which ultimately means that it would have to be the player themselves creating the map, not the game, in order to preserve any semblance of more traditional navigation.