Hardcore talking distance

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
SilverWraith

Hardcore talking distance

Post by SilverWraith »

People more than a certain number of blocks from you can't see your messages in the chat.

Good because:
-Make chat readable on big servers
-Allow secret meetings and spying
-Makes the game harder

Bad because:
-Confusing for new users
-Lots of people will not want it
CrafterOfMines57

Re: Hardcore talking distance

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

SilverWraith wrote:Bad because:
-Confusing for new users
-Lots of people will not want it
I think the point of a suggestion is to sell people on how you have a good feature they will like...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nah man, this is going too far, and will just result in people using external chat programs. It winds up becoming a weird mashup of meta-game and in-game.

I'd love to see this kind of thing eventually enforced in games in general with voice chat (kinda like DayZ is starting to do), but there are all kinds of problems with it in ensuring everyone is playing by the same rules, which is next to impossible as long as you don't know that players aren't on Skype, the telephone, or even sitting in the same room, therefore giving them an unfair advantage over everyone else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CrafterOfMines57 wrote: I think the point of a suggestion is to sell people on how you have a good feature they will like...
No...the point is to communicate an idea to me so I can make a call on whether it's worth including. If you' need to "sell" me on anything, then your idea is likely bad, and if you're trying to sell it to other players, then you're wasting your time as they're not the ones that need to be convinced.