Concerning Chickens

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
CycloneSP

Concerning Chickens

Post by CycloneSP »

So, after finally hooking together a bunch of small machines together I have created my first(in my current world that is) factory. What I did was make a small auto hemp farm string the out put seeds to my chicken feeder for my egg farm and hooked the egg output to my hatcher to send the chicks to a very sharp(yet delayed) death.

Now, after doing all that I knew before hand that FC removed the ability for eggs to be turned into tallow, but I must have missed the part about chicken not being able to be rendered down into tallow. So I'm left asking myself, what is the whole point? Sure, if I leave my machine running long enough I'll get a handy supply of feathers, but other than that what good is the remaining output of my auto chicken farm? I currently have 4 stacks of poached eggs(not letting the raw eggs despawn on me, what btw automator would I be if I did that?) and a stack of raw/cooked chicken(it's cooking as I post this). I now pretty much no longer have to worry about food, but I forsee the excess of my farm piling up rapidly in the near future.

Does anyone know of any uses for the soon to be excess? Are there any other uses to eggs I am not aware of?

While we are on the topic of chicken farms, what style of farm do you guys usually use? If I ever get around to it, I'll see if I can't grab some screen shots of mine for ya'll.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Concerning Chickens

Post by FlowerChild »

Feathers? I guess you could start building yourself a padded room for when you realize your chicken farm doesn't have very many uses :)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Could feed the chickens to your wolves, I guess. I'm stumped as far as the eggs go, though.
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

Raw chickens can be exchanged for emeralds.

Don't know what to do with eggs either.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote:Could feed the chickens to your wolves, I guess. I'm stumped as far as the eggs go, though.
Fling them to make more chickens?
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

FlowerChild wrote: Fling them to make more chickens?

err... we're talking about raw eggs, are we not?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

mc_dunedin wrote: err... we're talking about raw eggs, are we not?
Oh. Fling them to make a mess?
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

You can do that with live chickens too...no? ;)
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
ThePuzzleMasher

Post by ThePuzzleMasher »

You could use eggs to make pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie is useful because it uses no wheat so it won't slow down your cow/pig farm and just uses the output from your pumpkin, sugar and egg farms to make a food item that fills as much as bread. personally this is my only use for my pumpkin and sugar farms especially once I upgrade my chicken feeder into a pumpkin farm.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability for Vases to blow up if they are broken while containing Blasting Oil.
Gunnerman21 wrote:This will also make Link from the Zelda series cower in fear
Which I bet all those pottery making families will love
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

hmm, yes well that padded room idea doesn't sound too bad... especially considering the fact that I decided to do a little afk play while I slept and woke up to find my steve was turned into a pincushin... I had lost 12 soul urns 2 stacks of hellfire dust and all my clay I was carrying... ;_;

Toyi

Post by Toyi »

ThePuzzleMasher wrote:You could use eggs to make pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie is useful because it uses no wheat so it won't slow down your cow/pig farm and just uses the output from your pumpkin, sugar and egg farms to make a food item that fills as much as bread. personally this is my only use for my pumpkin and sugar farms especially once I upgrade my chicken feeder into a pumpkin farm.
Not really, the pumpkin pie is made with eggs, not raw eggs (which is what we are hoarding), and in fact, unless it was nerfed by mojang at some point, the pumpkin pie fills as much as cooked meat.
dawnraider wrote: Ah, yes. I always love gathering info through violence ;) Anyways, nice job on starting this up!
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Toyi wrote:
ThePuzzleMasher wrote:You could use eggs to make pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie is useful because it uses no wheat so it won't slow down your cow/pig farm and just uses the output from your pumpkin, sugar and egg farms to make a food item that fills as much as bread. personally this is my only use for my pumpkin and sugar farms especially once I upgrade my chicken feeder into a pumpkin farm.
Not really, the pumpkin pie is made with eggs, not raw eggs (which is what we are hoarding), and in fact, unless it was nerfed by mojang at some point, the pumpkin pie fills as much as cooked meat.
FC changed the recipe for this as far as I recall. I'm not certain though.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Toyi

Post by Toyi »

Detritus wrote:FC changed the recipe for this as far as I recall. I'm not certain though.
No, the vanilla recipes that use eggs stand (I just checked). FC said he wanted to change it during the wrapping up process, but recently someone at the MCF suggested a revision of the hunger values of different kind of food, and new dishes like meat stews combining ingredients for better stats (Towns-like), so he considered worth of some thought. It's likely we will have to keep those stacks of raw eggs in the chest a bit more, till "Hardcore Cooking" is ready :D
dawnraider wrote: Ah, yes. I always love gathering info through violence ;) Anyways, nice job on starting this up!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Excess eggs should always be disposed of in the nether ;-)
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Make a fancy ass auto deleter with some block dispensers, it's actually pretty fun.

That'll teach those stupid eggs to be so stupid :T
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Remember, while you may have an excess of eggs, this is a game of houses. Obviously, your excess is a perfect opportunity to go out with friends and paint every house on the server yellow-white express your opinions!

Disclaimer: Phoenixian is not liable for server bans, fights, or broken friendships, resulting from following his advice.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I lol'd at phoenixian. But sadly my chicken farm is stuck in my ssp world. I find it hard to motivate myself to work on the server at times cuz I'm still stuck in the pseudo stone age while on my ssp world I have steel. XD

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fried egg storage block?

EDIT: Ooooo! That can be placed in a specific configuration to create an egg golem!
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Egg golem?

Man you could work at mojang with those kinds of awesome sounding ideas!
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote:Egg golem?

Man you could work at mojang with those kinds of awesome sounding ideas!
Thanks man. Note how I didn't include the option to make a block or golem out of *poached* eggs...cause that would just be silly.

And of course, I'd have the design sense to include a pumpkin in the recipe. Goes without saying.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Seems a little bit cheap though, shouldn't you introduce some sort of rare chicken head drop to make these things?

But anyways, eggs would probably be good to put in HCSpawn huts, not-so-valuable food that will still get the job done.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote:Seems a little bit cheap though, shouldn't you introduce some sort of rare chicken head drop to make these things?
Nah man. Such artificial balance mechanisms are for noobs. Instead, I'll require a bunch of iron blocks in the recipe so no one can call it OP.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oooo! Oooo! No, wait! I can put bats in the recipe to give them a use!

Fried Egg & Bat golem. Hells yeah!
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Hahahahahaha, good times.

Just reminds me more and more of how bad I want those bat changes ;)

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote: Just reminds me more and more of how bad I want those bat changes ;)
Still working out the details of that one. I know where we are, and I know where I'm going, but the bits in between are a little fuzzy. When that happens, I usually just work on other stuff and wait for the lightning bolt to trigger my super powers.

And my apologies to the OP for the off-topic tangent. Honestly, I didn't see the many and varied uses of eggs going very far without a little levity ;)