Modder needs food...badly

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Modder needs food...badly

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey guys,

I'm extremely reluctant to talk about donations in general for the mod. As many of you know, I was extremely reluctant to even accept donations for my work for the longest time, and I don't think I've ever entirely gotten over the weirdness I associate with receiving money out of nowhere :)

That's my own oddities at play though. I know at a logical level that I am providing a valuable service to people with all my hard work on the mod, and that receiving value in return is entirely valid...probably even more so than many regular jobs as what I receive is directly related to the value of what I provide without any "middle men" entering into the equation.

However, I will say that as the months have gone by, donations actually became a rather sizable portion of my monthly income and allowed me to devote more and more of my time to modding as a result.

What I doubt hardly anyone realized, is that when the whole BWF drama erupted, donations basically came to a grinding halt. There have been a small number since, each of which I am very grateful for, but the more or less steady flow that was coming in before almost entirely evaporated.

I can understand that. People play games for fun and what was going on in the community was decidedly non-fun and I think many lost interest in the mod as a result. That saddens me, but I also understand it entirely.

Given that drama has faded into the background however, I just wanted to post this as a reminder that if you do value the work that I'm doing, then donations are very much appreciated. The timing of all this was exceedingly unfortunate given that I was basically considering moving on to full time indie game development with RTH, and thus the income I was receiving from donations is actually of more importance than it probably has been at any other point. It's thrown an additional question mark into the mix as to whether I'm really going to be able to sustain something like that at a practical level at a time when certainty is already in short supply.

Anyways, just to say, if you feel like making a donation to thank me for my work on BTW, or perhaps to lend a helping hand in me moving on to bigger and better things, it would be particularly appreciated at this point in time.

And with that, I shall put away my tin cup and return to my usual avoidance of talking about monetary matters :)

EDIT: Ok, I'm a dufus for neglecting to include a donation button in a thread about donations ;)

AngelWithDirtyHands

Re: Modder needs food...badly

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I'd be honoured ;) thanks for everything, FC!
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

With starting indie I'd suggest checking kickstarter (I think it's called) funding wise. And now to not make this so grey area OT, donation sent... as soon as I find my wallet.
Edit: Donation sent. Less than I'd've liked but eh, it's around as much as a game so I guess it's not too bad?
Last edited by Foxy Boxes on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Foxy Boxes wrote:With starting indie I'd suggest checking kickstarter (I think it's called) funding wise. And now to not make this so grey area OT, donation sent... as soon as I find my wallet.
Yup, that's definitely something I'll be investigating once RTH kicks into production.

Already on my todo list :)
warmist

Post by warmist »

Here, have a few bucks for a great cause. I really hope you succeed in your quests (just because i wish to do the same and hope that some day will be able to do so :)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

My grandson is here at the moment, but I would be happy to contribute. Look for it later this evening.

Thanks for all you do and almost two solid years of entertainment. I don't know what everyone else's experience is, but no other game has held my attention so long, and it is thanks to your hard work.

Cheers, man.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

More than happy to contribute.

I fudged the message a little though, I meant the culprit hopper on the left. Thanks for the ghast tear and for everything these last 2 years :)
Sorry - Large Image
Show
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

So... I'm curious. For a kickstarter are you planning on doing one right away or waiting until you have something to demo?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:So... I'm curious. For a kickstarter are you planning on doing one right away or waiting until you have something to demo?
Let's not get into that, ok? I felt it was time for me to make mention of the overall donation situation, but as always, I'd really prefer not to get into extended conversations about finances :)
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Foxy Boxes wrote:With starting indie I'd suggest checking kickstarter (I think it's called) funding wise. And now to not make this so grey area OT, donation sent... as soon as I find my wallet.
Yup, that's definitely something I'll be investigating once RTH kicks into production.

Already on my todo list :)
Wait a minute i'm really lost but is RTH a mod for MC or an entirely different game?
Sorry FC i hope your situation gets better in the future.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

XboxAddict77 wrote:Wait a minute i'm really lost but is RTH a mod for MC or an entirely different game?
Sorry FC i hope your situation gets better in the future.
In a post BWF world, I'm leaning more and more towards making it a brand new game separate from MC. Honestly, at this point I think it's fairly certain that's what I'm going to do as I haven't even seriously considered any other options in weeks now.

BUT, this is rather off-topic for this thread. I think there are already several threads about where RTH is discussed, so I'd encourage you to do a search on them or ask related questions elsewhere.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Urgh... You're going to make me return to the "teenager's bedroom" that is MCF. Holding my breath.... Donation incoming!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...sorry, yes, a donation button would probably be a reasonable addition to a thread about donations :)

Here you go:

No need to sully yourself with MCF ;)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:No need to sully yourself with MCF ;)
Wow, that was quick... not quite quick enough though! Hope it helps, wish it could be more... And what is this sticky stuff I trod in while I browsed past the female follower mod? Actually don't tell me, just going to bin my socks!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:And what is this sticky stuff I trod in while I browsed past the female follower mod? Actually don't tell me, just going to bin my socks!
There's a female follower mod? Yikes :)
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Made a small donation for now. If all goes well with a potential new (and well paying) position, I'll be making another donation :)

I wonder how much a month's worth of wolf chops would cost. Hmm...
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

I thought you got by on smokes and coffee? ;)
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

also made a donation. It's not much, but there's probably more coming in the future.
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

If I were to donate to anything, it would be BTW. It's the only free thing I use that has a quality worth donating to. I wonder how Ender-goggles do on couches... Thanks FC. Will donate as soon as I can.
vaenda

Post by vaenda »

Is there any other way to donate than using paypal?
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Without you, minecraft would be unplayable. I can't without it. So accept my beer donation soon ;)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I'm broke right now, but the minute I get a few extra bucks, they're headed your way :)
Bio_Logisch

Post by Bio_Logisch »

Donzaffi wrote:Without you, minecraft would be unplayable. I can't without it. So accept my beer donation soon ;)
The same applies for me.
As a fact the 20 bucks for Minecraft where misspent money. I had enough after 2 days. With BTW i have already played more hours than in most games and i'am nowhere near the end.

Donation is already on the way. Have a nice meal or a lot of beer.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thank you FlowerChild and I hope you enjoy it! It was time to thank you that way, your mod gave me the most fun i had the last two years playing games.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Despite my usual reluctance to talk about these things, I just wanted to thank you guys for the overwhelming support you've been showing since I posted this.

Seriously...thank you. It really means the world to me and has given me an increased sense of motivation in moving forward.

Big smilies all round :) :)