New Release! (BTW V4.54)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.54)

Post by FlowerChild »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd agree except the previous method for farming blazes involved spawners...which suck as a mob trap mechanic due to the 16 block range the player must remain within.
Oh, and btw, also on this point: I wasn't the one that added the Blazes to the stronghold spawn list, that was Mojang.

Building a wither skeleton farm using the previous method results in blazes being harvested as well. I agree with it, but it's not something I actually changed.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Spent some time in the nether last night and shit man, much more dangerous! Found myself simultaneously dealing with blazes, ghasts, and wither skellies on multiple occasions. I'm working out identifying the boundaries of my fortress and choosing a location to build a trap. Having a blast!

Also with the spawn restrictions removed and you happy with fortresses, i now feel confortable destroying inconviently placed blaze spawners. Id avoided removing them before as i felt they were the only reliable source of blaze rods. Now that i am working on a trap that will include their spawns i no longer feel the need for blaze spawner based traps.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd agree except the previous method for farming blazes involved spawners...which suck as a mob trap mechanic due to the 16 block range the player must remain within.
FlowerChild wrote: Oh, and btw, also on this point: I wasn't the one that added the Blazes to the stronghold spawn list, that was Mojang.

Building a wither skeleton farm using the previous method results in blazes being harvested as well. I agree with it, but it's not something I actually changed.
This I was not aware of, I'd only ever seen them come from spawners. Probably having to do with the strict spawning limitations nether fortresses had.
brab

Post by brab »

I have a question regarding the spawning change in nether fortresses: could it make the hibachi technological step a bit steep? I was having trouble collecting a blaze rod before these changes, so I'm worried it will make it even more difficult. (I'm not a luddite, just a noob!) I really like the way BTW structures vanilla minecraft by making many things matter. It just feels like getting the first blaze rod is becoming quite challenging. So I wonder if you have found this to be the case.

(I have to say failing has been fun. I've been having hardcore spawn on since it appeared, and now my world has many sky walks in cobblestone, slowly becoming a rail network. There is a lot to do pre-hibachi, but I keep thinking of the nice tech ahead.)
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

Absolutely better than ever. I am very impressed by your long-term vision and commitment to downright excellent game design.

Thank you so much for Better than Wolves.
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

brab wrote:I have a question regarding the spawning change in nether fortresses: could it make the hibachi technological step a bit steep? I was having trouble collecting a blaze rod before these changes, so I'm worried it will make it even more difficult. (I'm not a luddite, just a noob!) I really like the way BTW structures vanilla minecraft by making many things matter. It just feels like getting the first blaze rod is becoming quite challenging. So I wonder if you have found this to be the case.
I dunno man. The entire vanilla tech-tree is at your disposal at that stage with everything from diamond equipment, to enchantments, to potions, so I really don't think it would be too difficult with a bit of preparation. If you go in "naked", sure, you are likely to get owned, but I think that's as it should be when invading a fortress in hell :)
IzBatt

Post by IzBatt »

I'm so freaking psyched about these changes, and I finally got some friends to join my BTW server. FC you are the bomb, thanks for giving me and my buddies a great game experience.
"The people who started the war are the reason. And unless you fight to get rid of the reason, nothing will ever change. I fight to get rid of the reason."-Bart
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:*snip*potions*snip*

Well, those require a blaze rod, so you don't really have them.

But come on guys, this is minecraft. There is little that cannot be solved with several stacks of cobble and a few pickaxes.

Assaulted by wither skellies? Block them and hit their legs. Blazes? You can always tunnel.

As for farming rods, I generally build a wall in the entrance of the first blaze spawner I have (only if it is enclosed and not open space), leaving only a 2 high 1 wide opening, hide behind it, and hit the blazes as they try to get me. It is extremely safe, you can sit there and farm blazes till you are too old to click your mouse.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
brab

Post by brab »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:But come on guys, this is minecraft. There is little that cannot be solved with several stacks of cobble and a few pickaxes.

Assaulted by wither skellies? Block them and hit their legs. Blazes? You can always tunnel.

As for farming rods, I generally build a wall in the entrance of the first blaze spawner I have (only if it is enclosed and not open space), leaving only a 2 high 1 wide opening, hide behind it, and hit the blazes as they try to get me. It is extremely safe, you can sit there and farm blazes till you are too old to click your mouse.
Thanks for the tips. I'll just keep trying until it works!
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

I think getting your first blaze rod has been made easier and more enjoyable with the tweaks to mob spawning because you find your first nether fortress earlier (that part could prove really boring at times). You also don't need to enter the structure, just grab a bow and snipe those blazes from a save distance.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Well i have a damn good story for this update! I play on the elodas server and i have had my nether portal in an old nether fortress since about the time they came around. Just today i was merrily riding my nether line to the server spawn when i was ambushed by a rogue bunch of wither skellys. Now let me tell you it is no easy task to recover a Smite V, Looting III, Knockback II battleaxe from a fully armored up wither skelly. Thank you Flower for successfully scaring the living shit out of me! ^_^/ Play hard man!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

mc_dunedin wrote:because you find your first nether fortress earlier

Huh? What did I miss here?
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
mc_dunedin wrote:because you find your first nether fortress earlier

Huh? What did I miss here?
I think he might be referring to the fact that blazes and wither skeletons can now spawn some distance away from the walkways, thus, if the fortress is buried, it will be possible to spot it via the mobs spawning around it.

I'm just excited about the increased spawns overall. It took us about an hour and a half to get 3 wither heads during my Let's Play (edited down to 20 mins for your viewing pleasure), with many more skeletons around, this is going to get significantly less painful. Thank you FC!