Thank You!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
skavenhorde

Thank You!

Post by skavenhorde »

First off. Sorry about the wall of text. I try to tone my posts down, but fail every time.

Anyways, you only really need to read this sentence if you don't like reading walls of text :D. Thank you to Flowerchild and everyone who has contributed to this mod.

I am new to Minecraft. I hopped on the MC train after playing it's 2D cousin/clone, Terraria. Before that game I thought MC was a cute idea, but not for me since my favorite games are roguelikes and SP crpgs. However I couldn't have been more wrong. After something like 80+ hours playing Terraria I am still loving digging down and adventuring in that game. So I bought Minecraft because if Terraria was that good then Minecraft must be even better. It is, but it's like comparing oranges to apples. Both are great in their own way.

I knew MC had a huge modding community, but after purchasing the game I couldn't understand this dependance on Forge. I'm no newb to modding the heck out of a game and do so with almost all of games I own (if there are any available) like Temple of Elemental Evil, Civ IV and of course The Elder Scroll Series (especially Morrowind and Skyrim), Fallout 3 and last but certainly not least Fallout: New Vegas.

The first thing you learn when modding is not everything is going to be compatible. Especially the big mods (unless someone makes them compatible), but this Forge dependance was....unusual. It's like if someone made a mod and didn't make it compatible with Forge then the people whined to high heaven or worse yet they got mad at the person who created the mod which is ludicrous. If they want it so badly then download and take out the mods that conflict with it. Forge adds nothing, but compatibility. Sorry Flowerchild I know you worked on that, but if that all it does then I'll pass and it's a disturbing trend that could scare away potential mod creators. After all there are tons of games out there that the fans won't string you up if you decide not to make your mod dependent on another mod.

However this mod is perfect. Well not perfect, but does what I look for when modding. I prefer big mods that act like an expansion pack and I do not have to go around putting mods in a load order. I can and do do that in a lot of games, but if I can find a big mod where it expands on the vision of the creators then I'd prefer to just get that.

So thank you from a newb to this game. I'm learning the basics of the original and BTWs as I go. It's a bit complicated at first, but the resources available for both vanilla and BTWs are extensive and easy to understand.

By the way, am I the only one who was surprised by how the game can scare the living hell out of you? I literally threw my headphones off the first time I heard that long wail of an Enderman/Slender man. It didn't help that I, for the first time, created a dirt tower that went as high as the game would allow me to go and then jumped off into the ocean. I then look up at the tower (at night) and I hear the most terrifying sound I have ever heard in a game. I had no clue what it was. Actually I thought it was the game P.O.ed that I dared make a tower that high :D

The graphics don't prepare you for just how this game can scare the hell out of you. I can't tell you how many times I almost jumped out of my seat when I come out of my mine, look up and a dang spider is falling right at me. God I hate those things. Zombies aren't much better, but I've gotten used to their sound now. It's those stupid spiders that still can surprise me from time to time (decent A.I. on those suckers. Flanking instead of just sitting by the front door. Don't see that much unfortunately.)
SterlingRed

Re: Thank You!

Post by SterlingRed »

Well said, welcome to the community!
I've been playing mc & btw for a long time and still some of the sound effects and mobs dropping on my head make me jump. Btw certainly adds to the fear factor and creepy sound effects quite a bit.
Looking forward to seeing you around!
Grass_Block

Post by Grass_Block »

The forge part... Well , it's just that , as you said , MC haves a huge modding community and
unfortunately one of the worst communities overall (including fanboys that are on reddit to kiss Mojang's butt 24/7 and others that get mad if they change a particle effect). Many forget that the game is minecraft , not "technic" or "Feed the beast. Most of the MCF people have over 10 mods and many modders think of game design like this:

"MOAR STUFF= PROFIT!"

Actually as vanilla minecraft took many bad decisions recently , there is a considerable amount of people that think of vMC as some kind of "base" meant to be modded. But right now , without a mod API and Mojang breaking many important aspects of the game almost every update since 1.3 most chose to use Forge (actually i have a forge world , not because i want to download the entire "Minecraft Mods" section , but for some forge mods that i like).

edit: Ortography and some weird typos.
Welcome :)
skavenhorde

Post by skavenhorde »

Thanks guys. I am just now starting to make some of tier one items now that I have a good understanding of what should be done first such as base, fields and animal pens. I'm just now trying out the millstone and other tier one objectives. THis is definetly better than wolves.

It has more in common with a roguelike than I imagined (in terms of complexity not variety of monsters.) speaking of monsters the endermen still freak me out, but spiders not so much now that I took Paulsoaresjr's advice and made some murder holes.

There are so many great tutorials on both BTWs and vanilla Minecraft on youtube. I play the tutorials on my iPhone while playing the game. Paul's Design for his cozy cottage (which was oroginally designed by someone else) has become my main base. Working on cloud tower now.

Can not believe I thought this was just a cute idea. If Black and Whites creature AI and this world were ever to combine I would buy that in a New York Minute.