Timber and Stone, indie game

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
embirrim

Timber and Stone, indie game

Post by embirrim »

What is going on here, how has no one mentioned this game yet?
Picture so you get an idea
Show
Take dwarf fortress, age of empires, minecraft, and put them together. It has great focus on defense building, enemies come in raids, professions like in DF, and block-like worlds that are completely open as in minecraft.
The game's far from being completed, but there is a lot of stuff you can already do. The crafting system is quite interesting, as is the "raid" system. Every now and then you are attacked by a small group of enemies, the strength and number of them are dependant on the amount of resources of your settlement. As for raising the population, every now and then migrants will come to your village, once again based on the amount of resources available.

A few tips from what I've experienced so far:
You should immediately focus on building defenses, a few walls are always welcome. Enemies will bash through them, but it gives your archers some height advantage. Talking of archers, it's good to have a few of them, as well as infantry, ready to defend your base at all times. Or at least have an idea of who can is a high level in the military department so you can quickly deploy them to their respective positions. In terms of resources, it's pretty straightforward, and most basic things can just be toggled through an option and your guys will collect them, ie wood, food, etc.

The options section in the menu is not yet implemented, so here are a few tips for controls:
As in every game of the genre, LMB to select, RMB to move. Space opens up the unit's details. To cicle through your units, tilde (the key to open console on most games), but if you don't have an american keyboard, you'll have trouble sometimes. On mine, it will alternate between 'ç' and '\', the second one being the equivalent position for the tilde key on american keyboards. Shift moves the camera around quicker, using WASD. Holding down RMB allows you to rotate the camera, and Mouse3 (scroll wheel button usually) let's you move the camera, kind of like WASD. Scroll wheel changes zoom.

I have played it for 10 or so hours, it is still in beta and the future plans lok amazing. The amount of bugs have driven me away from the game for the moment, but many have been reported and the developer is working non-stop, from what it seems.
If you want my honest opinion, it seems slightly overpriced but still, if you like the genre and think it looks promising (which it does, take a look at his youtube videos) it is worth taking a look through.

Kickstarter
Game website
Developer youtube channel
kaos78414

Re: Timber and Stone, indie game

Post by kaos78414 »

The kickstarter had me at Ron Swanson.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

I saw this before, and I remember thinking that the dev looks organized and dedicated. It's a good looking project for sure.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Why do people have to post amazing things all the time? I'm running out of money :(
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Rianaru wrote:Why do people have to post amazing things all the time? I'm running out of money :(
This is why I don't buy games anymore. #1 I have some on my steam account that I haven't played, and #2... Every now and then you get these amazing things that you just can't pass out on. Even though, as I said in the OP, 15 dollars seems quite high-priced.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Huh, that'll be worth keeping an eye out for.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

embirrim wrote:15 dollars seems quite high-priced.
For the state that it's currently in? I agree, but if this gets much more closer to completion anytime soon then I would view 15 as quite cheap, especially since it seems to be a more polished version/combination of several games that fit on my 'best games ever' list :)

A short while later:

Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Rianaru wrote:15 dollars seems quite high-priced
It really depends on how entertaining it is.
The $ I paid for Minecraft more than paid itself off as it has provided many 100's of hours of enjoyment.
Especially since BTW has been around. BTW is the only thing I have "donated" towards, and for good reason.
It is especially disproportionate when you think how much a AAA titles can cost and the amount of entertainment it provides when you compare it with something like Minecraft + BTW.
Perhaps I might strike gold and I might enjoy this on the level I enjoy Minecraft. Probably not.
I think $15 is well worth the price to find out.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Going off of Ethinolicbob, has anyone played it enough to say if its good or not?

A short while later:

embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Rianaru wrote:Going off of Ethinolicbob, has anyone played it enough to say if its good or not?
When I said it was overpriced, I was actually talking about the 30 dollars to acess the beta. Having beta access benefits the developer greatly, so making it more expensive seems strange. Although it will limit the beta playerbase to more "hardcore" gamers, so in a way it is actually beneficial to him. I guess I didn't think about that enough.
I am enjoying the game a lot, I was a great fan of AOE when I was younger, played it every time I had the chance. It reminds me of that a bit. My DF experience consists of 2 or 3 hours at a friends house, way way long ago, and I did like it at the time. Many of the task assignments here remind me of that game. And the open world... yeah.

Here is a screenshot of my base, this is around my 3rd or so world. Currently building a moat (I don't think you can get water still, but a fisherman is planned so there will be a chance to fill it I hope) and gathering resources to expand my small castle.
Spoiler
Show
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It looks really cool. I'm glad to see another cool looking voxel based building game springing up. The potential of this genre excites me a lot and I like the kind of RTS aspect of the game. It looks to be focusing on my favorite aspects of dwarf fortress. If he added semi-realistic fluid dynamics and mechanical power/powered devices I would be all over this.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

This is just the kind of game I've been looking out for. I'm a little excited now definitely going to keep an eye on this one, thanks for bringing it in my view :).