Steam Sales

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rugaard

Re: Steam Sales

Post by Rugaard »

im going to miss most of the sales, hate going on vacation into a near internet-less area
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Rugaard wrote:im going to miss most of the sales, hate going on vacation into a near internet-less area
If you're here, you can get your hands on them for now ;-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

Gormador wrote:
Rugaard wrote:im going to miss most of the sales, hate going on vacation into a near internet-less area
If you're here, you can get your hands on them for now ;-)
was talking about the daily deals
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, the daily deals and flash sales are pretty insidious. They have made booting up Steam a regular part of my morning ritual when I power on my system :)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, the daily deals and flash sales are pretty insidious. They have made booting up Steam a regular part of my morning ritual when I power on my system :)
Man today I was like a drug addict : couldn't stop checking, even though I knew when the next ones were coming (several hours after :p)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Double posting to announce to potentially interested people that Legend Of Grimrock is 75% off on steam for the next 12 hours.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

guys THQ bundle was probably the most awesome and sad purchase i have ever done.

got around 12 games for 40 reais (about $20) and thats awesome, but that wont get them out of bankruptcy =(
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:guys THQ bundle was probably the most awesome and sad purchase i have ever done.

got around 12 games for 40 reais (about $20) and thats awesome, but that wont get them out of bankruptcy =(
Holy shit. That's insane. I didn't even notice the bundle and its exceedingly low price.

Yikes. Guess I'm going to own a copy of Space Marine in the end after all :)
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

FlowerChild wrote: Holy shit. That's insane. I didn't even notice the bundle and its exceedingly low price.

Yikes. Guess I'm going to own a copy of Space Marine in the end after all :)
Some fucking good games in there man, Dawn of War II, Company of Heroes, Darksiders 1 and 2, Supreme Comander, Metro 2033, Homefront, Red faction 1,2 and 3, Saints Row 2 and 3 Titans Quest and Nexuiz (thats the only meh game in there.)

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

Wafflewaffle wrote:guys THQ bundle was probably the most awesome and sad purchase i have ever done.

I picked that up as well, cracking deal for those games. As for THQ, read this link from Kotaku. It's a post from THQ's President that fully explains why filing for bankruptcy was the best thing to do and has been done by a lot of the major players in many more industries than game dev.

On Topic: Today I've bought Orcs Must Die! 2, Torchlight II, Darksiders II (may regret that one, not sure..) and ended up buying Wargame: European Escalation for something a bit different.

Still waiting on a flash sale/daily deal for XCOM and I'll be getting SpaceChem and FTL as advised :) I've asked for a couple of Steam cards for Christmas so I'll be picking up Far Cry 3 at some point and I'm pondering Borderlands 2 at the moment. I never really got in to the first one as I joined my mates pretty late and they had outlevelled me to the point where it wasn't fun anymore but I've heard nothing but good things about them both.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ozziie wrote:
I picked that up as well, cracking deal for those games.
I already own around half the games on that list, but given that the entire bundle is cheaper than the regular cost of Saints Row 3 (which I've wanted for awhile), and that I wouldn't mind giving the other games a try, I still consider it an excellent deal.

That really is a crazy price for an ass-load of gaming goodness.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

34 minutes till another round of flash sales.. I'm sure I canWOAH HOW IS IT 4AM!?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Witcher 2 or even the first one btw? I remember reading a review basically saying that the second one was a good game but there was an obvious point at which development sped up to meet a deadline and the game suffered.

EDIT: The above was a little exaggerated and the actual quote from the review is in spoilers below:
Spoiler
Show
as if The Witcher 2 suddenly looked at its watch, and went ‘Whoa, is that the time?’. Things are resolved… mostly… but in the most cack-handed ways. Plot threads are unceremoniously dumped, characters sidelined and forgotten, a couple of final quests rushed through as quickly as possible, and then the word ‘Epilogue’ appears like a slap in the face. Huge, world-changing events happen, but get no time to breathe or explore the consequences that were the whole damn point of making those big choices in the first place. It’s as if there’s a whole concluding chapter simply missing. Ending the story like this isn’t just disappointing. It’s a betrayal.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Ozziie wrote:34 minutes till another round of flash sales.. I'm sure I canWOAH HOW IS IT 4AM!?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Witcher 2 or even the first one btw? I remember reading a review basically saying that the second one was a good game but there was an obvious point at which development sped up to meet a deadline and the game suffered.

EDIT: The above was a little exaggerated and the actual quote from the review is in spoilers below:
Spoiler
Show
as if The Witcher 2 suddenly looked at its watch, and went ‘Whoa, is that the time?’. Things are resolved… mostly… but in the most cack-handed ways. Plot threads are unceremoniously dumped, characters sidelined and forgotten, a couple of final quests rushed through as quickly as possible, and then the word ‘Epilogue’ appears like a slap in the face. Huge, world-changing events happen, but get no time to breathe or explore the consequences that were the whole damn point of making those big choices in the first place. It’s as if there’s a whole concluding chapter simply missing. Ending the story like this isn’t just disappointing. It’s a betrayal.
Man, The Witcher 1 is one of the greatest game I've ever played. Maybe a bit too much of running around, but great anyway. The Witcher 2 is better than the first one, but a bit different in that the combat system have been change to a more dynamic one (which is good IMO). The second one is as of now, the most beautiful game I've played. And even though I haven't finished it yet, I can assure you this is a buy you won't regret.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

If I didn't have only 30 seconds, I could type lots of good comments about my experience with Witcher 1, but if you're looking to buy the second game, honestly Gog is the place to check. The other day, the Witcher 2 was a mere 7 bucks with a super sale and today... 12$ with an okay sale. Time's up, bye!
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

You've awaited it, and now it's there.
XCOM Enemy Unknown is on a 33% off sale on steam for the next 12 hours.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Some deals that I've seen are KSP is 25% off (bringing it down to a $17.25 minimum), Steam's got its Introversion pack down to $5 (4 games and 2 soundtracks, compared to $20 on Introversion's site for the same games with all the soundtracks), and GOG's got a ton of old games for less than $10 apiece, and for the next two hours, Universe Sandbox is 75% off (bringing it down to $2.50).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

"Oh no, I won't buy anything during this sale. I already have enough games anyway." -Me, naively believing this to be true at the time.

But then I randomly stumbled upon a forum thread about shooters, saw mentions of Hard Reset, watched a few videos about it and long story short, I'm 3,76$ poorer. Gotta love those crazy 75% discounts. :)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

Nexus Trimean on Page 1 wrote:Really hoping for a sale on chivalry. that game looks great, just not quite amazing enough for full price
Chivalry is -50% off for the next 47 hours or so. :)

I missed the XCOM sale because I've been playing the shit out of Torchlight II but I'm sure it'll drop again.

Finally got SpaceChem and FTL so the only games left on my Wishlist that I definitely want are Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2 and XCOM.

I am still considering The Witcher 1/2, Terraria, Ace of Spades and Crusader Kings II but they're either not on sale enough, I haven't played the demo yet or I really do have far too many games and I should probably reign it in.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Ozziie wrote: I am still considering The Witcher 1/2, Terraria, Ace of Spades and Crusader Kings II but they're either not on sale enough, I haven't played the demo yet or I really do have far too many games and I should probably reign it in.
If i may, skip Ace of Spades and buy Witcher 1\2.

Ace of Spades is aweful, really should stay away from that. If you want class based shooter, try TF2 or Mondey Night Combat.

Now Witcher is awesome, especially if you are a Lore Whore (like myself). Really classic RPG, think ahead combat with potions and what not. Witcher 2 is even better, the combat and brewing was revamped and it makes for an amazing experience.

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Not sure what the big deal with Chivalry is. Isn't it basically a multiplayer only knock-off of Mount & Blade?
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

Wafflewaffle wrote:If i may, skip Ace of Spades and buy Witcher 1\2.

Ace of Spades is aweful, really should stay away from that. If you want class based shooter, try TF2 or Mondey Night Combat.
Thanks for warning me :) There was something putting me off slightly so I might just go ahead and remove it.

BTW, If anyone wants to play Co-op/MP on any of the games mentioned you could always join the BTW Steam Group and start a new discussion with a time and a place :)
FlowerChild wrote:Not sure what the big deal with Chivalry is. Isn't it basically a multiplayer only knock-off of Mount & Blade?
EDIT: Although Chivalry is described as a first person shooter slasher, it can actually be played in third person as well, apparently. I know Chivalry doesn't involve horses or guns. It seems to have smaller maps and has game modes similar to TF2's payload and has a protect the VIP mode as well. Honestly, I've never played either but those are things that come to mind when comparing what I've seen from LPs. The steam trailer can give you quite a good idea of the difference in terms of style and gameplay.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ozziie wrote:EDIT: Chivalry can be played in third person as well, apparently. I know Chivalry doesn't involve horses or guns. It seems to have smaller maps and has game modes similar to TF2's payload game mode and has a protect the VIP mode as well. Honestly, I've never played either but those are things that come to mind when comparing what I've seen from LPs. The steam trailer can give you quite a good idea of the difference in terms of style and gameplay.
M&B: Warband doesn't involve guns, but definitely horses :)

Warband is entirely medieval in flavor, while Fire & Sword is early gunpowder, around renaissance level. The Napoleonic game is obviously full blown gunpowder-based warfare. Warband is by far my favorite of the bunch, particularly due to the depth of the single player experience.

Anyways, just seemed a little odd to me that people were getting excited over what looks like the kind of gameplay that has been around for quite awhile now. If anything, from the footage I watched there seems to be way less depth to Chivalry's combat than that in M&B. I'll grant that it's very pretty though, but that doesn't exactly draw me towards it, especially since it's MP only.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

FlowerChild wrote: If anything, from the footage I watched there seems to be way less depth to Chivalry's combat than that in M&B. I'll grant that it's very pretty though, but that doesn't exactly draw me towards it, especially since it's MP only.
That's the draw for me anyway, the fact it looks fairly easy to just jump in and carve some people up :)

I've just watched the first few episodes of a Warband LP and it looks fairly interesting. Another one to the wishlist for further consideration!

EDIT: Oh there's a demo!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Warband kicks ass. I've sunk a huge amount of time into it, and this conversation is actually making me want to give it another go :)

Fire & Sword is cool too, but they unfortunately took a bit of a step back with it IMO, in terms of the options available to the player in Warband's single player campaign, in order to opt for a more "story driven" experience. Like, you can't become a king in Fire & Sword (the factions involved are predefined so it would mess with the story going on in the background), so while I probably prefer the style of combat within it (I have a fetish for early gunpowder based weapons), it just didn't catch me in the same way Warband did.

If I remember right I think package deals on the M&B franchise pop up fairly regularly on Steam.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And speak of the devil! The entire Mount & Blade collection just went on a flash sale for 9$ for the next 12 hours :)

I highly recommend it guys. That series is one of my favorites of the past few years. As I said above, Warband in particular is a hoot (which you can also get for 5$ alone right now if that's the only part that interests you).