Steam Sales

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Shengji

Re: Steam Sales

Post by Shengji »

O Crap, I started playing Anno not long after I made that last post.... Played the first 4 missions in the campaign (Thanks for the tip FC), looked up and it's nearly 7 in the morning! Haven't had a session like that in years. It really is a good game!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:O Crap, I started playing Anno not long after I made that last post.... Played the first 4 missions in the campaign (Thanks for the tip FC), looked up and it's nearly 7 in the morning! Haven't had a session like that in years. It really is a good game!
Hehe...welcome to the last 4 days of my life :)

The fundamentals of the game are extremely well laid out, but once you start getting into managing multiple islands producing different goods and the transport routes between them is when the real fun starts IMO. There's an almost BTW aspect to the way some of the production chains work, but at a much more abstract level mind you. Having to manage the ecology of your various islands was also a brilliant addition IMO, as it really encourages diversifying the output of various islands. Like in my current game, I have an island devoted exclusively to oil refining and heavy industry, which means it's a total wasteland, but leaves my residential and farming islands relatively pristine. This in turn of course leads to having to manage the transport of raw materials to said island, and the finished goods off of it. That in turn leads to me having to defend my convoys from pirates and such, etc. etc. etc.

It amazes me that I hardly ever use time acceleration in such a large scale game. There always seems to be something to do.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Time acceleration is for research. It takes hours to complete the high-end stuff.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Errrr...I guess, but if you're not actually interested in playing during that time, why are you bothering to do that research anyways?
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

I guess if your economy can sustain itself in the long run it's just something to do? I've not played since 2070 came out so it's a bit hard to remember much. :)
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

w00p finally farcry 3 25% off
Few other games you should consider buying if you have money left
plants vs zombies goty 75% off
anno 2070 60% off
witcher 2 75% off
Bioshock franchise, mount & blade franchise and orcs must die franchise all 75% off
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to mention that FTL is currently on sale for 5$ (50% off) if anyone has been holding off on getting it.

It's DEFINITELY worth 5$, even if just for experiencing the game design innovations it represents in terms of tactical space combat.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I've been enjoying it quite a lot! Although I still can't beat it consistently on easy... :(
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

I spent too much on the steam sales.
All I have to show for it is FTL :D. All others were meh after only a couple of hours.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Marasambala wrote:I spent too much on the steam sales.
All I have to show for it is FTL :D. All others were meh after only a couple of hours.
I find I have that response to the vast majority of games that I play now...
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Sarudak wrote:I find I have that response to the vast majority of games that I play now...
Ditto. Although, I believe I could spend a substantial amount of time with Crusader Kings II if I could just get into it. It's just a little overwhelming at first.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Sarudak wrote: I find I have that response to the vast majority of games that I play now...
It really is amazing. This is the first time of bought any games since I picked up MC a year and a half ago. Nothing's really changed other than graphics. MC really has been revolutionary.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

My Wishlist is nearly empty!
Steam Spoils
Show
Wargame: European Escalation
Natural Selection II
Orcs Must Die 2
Darksiders II
Torchlight II
FTL: Faster than Light
SpaceChem
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Mount and Blade: Warband
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Borderlands 2
Terraria
Towns
Thief II
Spec Ops: The Line
Limbo
The Witcher 2
Far Cry 3
F1 2012
Little Inferno
Anno 2070
Prior to the sale I also bought the THQ Bundle, Hotline Miami and Don't Starve so I've got plenty to go at :)

I've been having the most fun recently with the original Borderlands, Far Cry 3 and Torchlight II and I'm hoping they'll be the next games I complete. Next on my hitlist is Braid, the puzzle-platformer and Bastion. After that maybe Anno 2070 and Saints Row 3. God I have a lot of games :(
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Ozziie wrote: God I have a lot of games :(

Hah I hear you there! I bout a buch during the sales I tend to play one for a bit then get sucked back into something in Minecraft.. Currently I'm working on Dishonored when I do tear myself away from whatever project i'm working on. Played some Anno when it was on sale, the original AC's and FC's are on my list whenever I finish dishonored.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:Just wanted to mention that FTL is currently on sale for 5$ (50% off) if anyone has been holding off on getting it.

It's DEFINITELY worth 5$, even if just for experiencing the game design innovations it represents in terms of tactical space combat.
I bought it when I saw it, and have been enjoying it since. It truly is a brilliantly innovative game, and the $5 it cost me makes it so much sweeter.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...welcome to the last 4 days of my life :)

-Snip-
I got a copy of the demo of this game when it first came out with a magazine, and didn't get into it to start with. However, later I started it again, running through the campaign and really, really enjoyed it. I finished all the dome content, but didn't really want to buy it at the price it was/is. I was very tempted to buy during the holiday sale, but... Well, let's just say that I still wasn't willing to spend quite that much. Anyway, I think I might buy it next time it's on a decent special, because no matter how good it is, I don't really have spare cash of that sort.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:I got a copy of the demo of this game when it first came out with a magazine, and didn't get into it to start with. However, later I started it again, running through the campaign and really, really enjoyed it. I finished all the dome content, but didn't really want to buy it at the price it was/is. I was very tempted to buy during the holiday sale, but... Well, let's just say that I still wasn't willing to spend quite that much. Anyway, I think I might buy it next time it's on a decent special, because no matter how good it is, I don't really have spare cash of that sort.
Yeah, I'm still playing the shit out of Anno. I think I have somewhere around 120 hours into it now, and it's become my go to game at the end of my day.

I've started moving onto other games as well though, like I'm playing World of Goo through for a 2nd time (first played it on a Wii years ago, loved it then, and still love it now), tried out Ace of Spades for a little bit last night (which IMO, sucks pretty bad...I wouldn't recommend it), and am almost done with a play through of The Walking Dead (which really isn't my style of game but...zombies).

I also tried Ravaged last night for awhile as it's having a free weekend on Steam. Unfortunately with that one though, the controls prevent me having any fun, despite me having a post-apocalyptic fetish. I always use inverted y-axis mouse control in FPS games, and for some odd reason, while they have a setting for it on foot, it doesn't apply to your camera while you're in land vehicles. So, every time I hopped in one, the controls were reversing on me and it was making it nigh unplayable since the game has a heavy vehicle focus (which normally...I'd love).
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
...tried out Ace of Spades for a little bit last night (which IMO, sucks pretty bad...I wouldn't recommend it)...
I played the original AoS when it first came out, and it showed a lot of potential. It was all about trench warfare, and shaping the world around you. There weren't all these different classes and stuff, and it made a lot more sense and was a lot of fun.
Then, Jagex bought it.
It stopped being a clever little Indie full of trench warfare and building structures, and turned into a generic brown shooter with a few extra gimmicks thrown in (and not a very good one at that.) I haven't actually bought or played the game, but I've watched several videos of it, and it makes me sad to see what a large company has done to a nice little indie game. It shows that they really didn't understand what the game was supposed to achieve at all.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It seems that the original Ace of Spades is still going over at buildandshoot.com, and is still free. I played a few games of that recently, and "trench warfare" is a good way to describe it - on an island map, both teams wound up digging through the terrain and slowly pushing forwards to reach the enemy's flag, with the occasional raid by a couple of people to take the enemy by surprise. That's without the class system - you pick a team and a gun (rifle, SMG, or shotgun) and get right into the action.

However, I haven't seen any reason to use a gun other than the SMG in that version. It's meant to be the medium-range weapon, but it's still very accurate at the farthest distance you can see, and you only need one bullet to the head to kill someone; the shotgun might be powerful, but it's limited in its effective range due to the scatter, so it's very situational.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Anno is currently on sale for 50-60% off at the moment. I'll probably be buying it.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Detritus wrote:Anno is currently on sale for 50-60% off at the moment. I'll probably be buying it.
Dangit! I wanted this to happen, but was hoping it didn't :b
I think I may go with FCs recommendation on this, though. He hasn't steered me wrong yet :)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Marasambala wrote: I think I may go with FCs recommendation on this, though. He hasn't steered me wrong yet :)
I can wholeheartedly second the recommendation especially for it's value for money- 120 hours though myself and I've got so much more to do in the game! Each production line seems so simple, but getting them all working together, getting your shipping working efficiently, protecting yourself from aggressors, getting the proportions of each component just right is quite the thing!

The difference between the two factions is so subtle but makes such a huge difference too, the game is the first since civ 4 that I have played through the night and not noticed. I've seen talk of a fast forward button, I couldn't tell you where that was - if anything, I would want to slow the game down at times!!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Ugh, it's still a Ubi game though.. I want to play it but..no.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote: I can wholeheartedly second the recommendation especially for it's value for money- 120 hours though myself and I've got so much more to do in the game! Each production line seems so simple, but getting them all working together, getting your shipping working efficiently, protecting yourself from aggressors, getting the proportions of each component just right is quite the thing!
I know right? I think that's the aspect that keeps me coming back, and what I previously was referring to as being "BTW-esque" about the game. The whole thing about producing different goods on different islands, then using transport ships to get them to where you want them and assemble them into final goods is a great "assembly line" mechanic, that I haven't really seen in other games of this genre. It winds up making advanced maps feel like some kind of intricate machine where you don't fully comprehend how the whole thing works, but you know that you built each individual part to make sense :)

Anyways, after all the time I've sunk into it, I think it's definitely become my all-time favorite "city builder", with it also edging towards the top of the RTS heap as well ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Interesting, this reminds me of the Settlers II, one of my all time fav city planning and resource management games..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Interesting, this reminds me of the Settlers II, one of my all time fav city planning and resource management games..
That makes sense given it was developed by the same company :)