Steam Sales

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Steam Sales

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Picked up Sunless Sea at 40% off and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.
Decided to grab this as well, and have also been enjoying it.

Not sure if it has much in the way of legs (on my 2nd character and getting a very samey feeling already), and have been wearing out the skip button on the walls of text it constantly throws at you (yeah yeah...I've read quite enough about magically intelligent rodents over the course of my life thanks), but it's definitely a fun little rogue-like if you don't let it drag you into taking itself too seriously ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Picked up Sunless Sea at 40% off and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.
Decided to grab this as well, and have also been enjoying it.

Not sure if it has much in the way of legs (on my 2nd character and getting a very samey feeling already)
I have a feeling it would have turned out to be a much better game if they hadn't gone so hard on the permadeath mechanics in the game. Sure, it fits the theme and the atmosphere, but there's not a lot of variety in what you can realistically do in the first few hours of a given run and it takes a lot of runs (or luck, luck is nice too) to get a starting situation that lets you hit the more western bits of the zee without the early game's grind.

In my opinion it's a good game for it's price (even without the discount), but I really dislike the fact that it dangles a lot of win conditions in your face at the beginning which I'll likely never see the conclusion of.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: I have a feeling it would have turned out to be a much better game if they hadn't gone so hard on the permadeath mechanics in the game.
Yeah, I was thinking something similar. There's just not enough randomization in the game to justify playing the early game repeatedly and IMO the focus on long-winded text blurbs emphasizes that sensation even more by giving you that "yada yada...I've heard all this before" feeling.

I think the lineage mechanic may feel rather off as well, because really, the world isn't acting like time is passing between characters, and functions much more like the whole thing has just been reset. Like I didn't even survive that long with my first character, but it was enough to make things feel weird on my 2nd go, especially the one time events like that mansion near London burning down and then magically being rebuilt with the same characters residing within when his offspring came along, only to have it burn down once again under mysteriously similar circumstances.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: I have a feeling it would have turned out to be a much better game if they hadn't gone so hard on the permadeath mechanics in the game.
Yeah, I was thinking something similar. There's just not enough randomization in the game to justify playing the early game repeatedly and IMO the focus on long-winded text blurbs emphasizes that sensation even more by giving you that "yada yada...I've heard all this before" feeling.

I think the lineage mechanic may feel rather off as well, because really, the world isn't acting like time is passing between characters, and functions much more like the whole thing has just been reset. Like I didn't even survive that long with my first character, but it was enough to make things feel weird on my 2nd go, especially the one time events like that mansion near London burning down and then magically being rebuilt with the same characters residing within when his offspring came along, only to have it burn down once again under mysteriously similar circumstances.
heh, I remember grinding veils so hard to try and get something out of that event. Suffice to say, the RNG enjoys shitting on you at the worst of times >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I feel what you guys are saying about repeating quests, especially the early game build up so you can have free run of the map but on the other hand I don't think I would be enjoying the game nearly as much without fear of permadeath and with save scumming being constantly dangled in front of me. Restarting really isn't so painful if you have some heirlooms so your heir can jump right into the corvette with some good equipment and a full load of fuel and supplies.

Now it's a really story content focused game so obviously once I reach the end of that content I'll be done with it but even after losing/retiring some 4-5 odd times and beating the game once (father's bones) I feel like there's enough content I haven't explored for one more play through (I really want to start my kingdom)
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Did anybody pick up Elite: Dangerous during this sale? What are your first impressions? Are there people here that played it for longer, and if so, what is your opinion of it? Katalliaan and MaxAstro talked about buying/owning it in this thread, I'd love to hear more from you.

I'm thinking about picking it up, even thou I have the impression that the players who played the game the most are the ones most critical of it, which sounds like a think I don't like... it reminds me of Cities: Skylines, which did the same thing, which left a bad taste in many mouths, mine included.

I read time and time again that the content appears to be heavily front loaded in a heroin-dealer-kinda way as in they want to sell their planned yearly updates to you. On the other hand, 50+ hours for 15 bucks still sounds kinda nice.
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

DerAlex wrote:Did anybody pick up Elite: Dangerous during this sale? What are your first impressions? Are there people here that played it for longer, and if so, what is your opinion of it? Katalliaan and MaxAstro talked about buying/owning it in this thread, I'd love to hear more from you.

I'm thinking about picking it up, even thou I have the impression that the players who played the game the most are the ones most critical of it, which sounds like a think I don't like... it reminds me of Cities: Skylines, which did the same thing, which left a bad taste in many mouths, mine included.

I read time and time again that the content appears to be heavily front loaded in a heroin-dealer-kinda way as in they want to sell their planned yearly updates to you. On the other hand, 50+ hours for 15 bucks still sounds kinda nice.
I ended up grabbing it (worst case, I can wait till future DLC is on sale, no biggie) but havn't much time in it yet to talk about gameplay. I expected Eurotruck Simulator in space, and so far it seems about right. Go to place, kill the thing, pick up the stuff, deliver it at the place, enjoy the scenary.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

I'm having fun with it. It definitely has some steep learning curve, and the combat tutorial does not teach you everything you need to know (Roll and pitch, never yaw; keep your engines in the blue zone; constantly adjust power levels...), not to mention the important non-combat stuff it doesn't even cover (how to request docking, how to plot a hyperspace course, how to make use of trade data, how to use the exploration scanner you start with, why to keep your engines in the blue zone while supercruising...). But any time I got stuck the wiki was helpful.

I like that there is no autopilot (not unless you want to buy one later, anyway, and it takes up a valuable component slot); it's fun having to navigate between systems and dock manually. Others may find that tedious. Basically it hits all the buttons I like in a space sim - ship customization, upgrading to nicer ships (could never get into the X games because of the whole only one ship thing), solid combat that isn't too twitchy. Overall it kinda reminds me of EV Nova in 3D, but without the storyline. (And like EV Nova, mining is a completely pointless endeavor...)

I can see it getting grindy/repetitive later, but I'm hopeful that the expansions will help with that. I guess my final verdict is "definitely worth $15." :)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Thanks, you too! I decided to pull the trigger
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

MaxAstro wrote:I can see it getting grindy/repetitive later, but I'm hopeful that the expansions will help with that. I guess my final verdict is "definitely worth $15." :)
I've been watching/wanting this game for a long time but I'm having a hard time purchasing it knowing there's an upcoming expansion then more. This sale could be a cheap sample to addict you before a release happens then you have to spend more or be behind. I'm having a hard time with that even if I want it.

Pls convince me more to buy it, I'm on the cusp! Or wait.. Please don't.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

~shrug~ I mostly play solo mode, or with friends, so I don't really care about "falling behind" compared to the rest of the playerbase. Means I don't feel the need to shell out for the expansion unless it promises delivers something I am actually interested in. :)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's GOG that is running the sale rather than Steam but Hard West is on sale for 25% off.
X-Com meets Deadlands

Review video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcxUtgJ6PGo
Better is the enemy of Good
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Whoever is interested in board games, Talisman Digital Edition is free with a coupon from the devs site until midnight http://nomadgames.co.uk/blog/

It is a digital board game, activates on steam, has online multi, and only the host needs the expansions, players that join only need the base game. I have all the expansions :P If you are interested grab it and add me on steam so we might play some day (id mormengil)

Personally I love the game ever since it's first appearance in games workshop's catalogs back in the early 90ties. It is great fun especially with 3-4 other human players.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

For those who are looking for a Dumb/Fun game that you can just turn off your brain and enjoy some spetacular gore and blood (but Assassins Creed just doenst cut it), i bought Shadow of Mordor pretty cheap this sale. Having a blast so far. Both the setting the combat and the presentation are stellar, and at this price with all the DLC, I highly recommend it.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I can second Mordor. It's a better Batman game than the Batman games.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I actually really enjoyed Shadows of Mordor, I really enjoyed the challenge up until you get you're "special" power. It's worth the buy!
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I need help deciding whether to pick up Mordheim this week. On the one hand, it's the best game ever to be published by Games Workshop. Well, maybe tied with Battlefleet Gothic. Anyway, the price tag is basically the difference between spending time with actual live humans when I see Deadpool on Thursday or waiting until I can borrow the disc from the library in several months.

If anyone has played this title, is the solo gameplay something that keeps you coming back? It seems like a 90% chance that I'd be doing single player exclusively if I do pick it up.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Not steam.. But..

http://www.gog.com/game/consortium_the_master_edition   -- interesting style game, kind of a choose your own adventure rpg  -- and free for another 20ish hours to go along with their kickstarter for the next sequel.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/id ... -the-tower
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Borderlands 1, 2 (and all DLC) and the Pre-Sequel currently at BundleStars for $18US atm.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/b ... nds-bundle
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

GTA V 50% off woot!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Holy crap, my wishlist looks like it was hit by a shotgun blast. That's one hell of a sale they got going on.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Doh... I had the Talos Principle on my wishlist, and Steam didn't send me a notification... Good thing I checked :) Thanks FC for reminding me

And Dying Light has 50% and it's still too fucking expensive for me :(
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

@Jorge i feel ya man. Fallout 4 and Doom are at reasonable prices with a 67% discount. Fuckers were 230 bucks before.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I just bought Doom. I was honestly expecting just another run of the mill sub par shooter but shit that game is fun as fuck.

No bullshit 30min intro cut scene and garbage story line that no-one cares about. You get thrown straight into the action with loads of guns, enemies, awesome music and levels. Has to be one of the most pure FPSs I've played in ages. Just constant run and gun. If you're considering getting it it's a steal at that price. Just be wary of the 60GB download.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Wow Citieskylines is amazing, I should have bought it st full price! This is the spiritual successor to SimCity 4 hands down, just amazing.