Steam Sales

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Wafflewaffle

Re: Steam Sales

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Quick! If you dont have it grab W40k Dawn of war with all its expansions for cheap!
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This may sound odd, but:

Flight Simulator X for 5$. Been playing it the past couple of days and having a ball.

I usually fly military rather than civilian simulators, but at this price decided to make an exception here. Lots of fun stuff and "firsts" I haven't experienced in other games like landings guided by aircraft control, and water landing as well.

No idea how many other flight sim buffs are on here, but just in case :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:No idea how many other flight sim buffs are on here, but just in case :)
I saw some videos about this before, I even posted one here... I thought it looked awesome, and although I was a bit interested, I feel a bit overwhelmed. The amount of controls and just stuff in those planes, man... Feel like I would need to go to flight school before I can play this.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: I saw some videos about this before, I even posted one here... I thought it looked awesome, and although I was a bit interested, I feel a bit overwhelmed. The amount of controls and just stuff in those planes, man... Feel like I would need to go to flight school before I can play this.
Nah, don't be intimidated man. Lots of in-game tutorials, that start you off flying an ultralight and move you up from there. You can also automate a lot of the more subtle aspects of aircraft operation through the realism settings. I'd say this sim is actually really good at teaching you everything, much better than most.

I really like a lot of detail in these kinds of games, so I jacked up all the realism settings right from the start to max. But I also don't mind spending an hour wondering why my engines are quitting on me at altitude and going on an epic "wtf are cowl flaps?" learning experience as a result ;)

I'd say this is more the kind of game that will teach you a shit-ton about civil aviation rather than expect you to know it coming into the game. The one caveat I'd put on that is that unless you're already comfortable with helicopter sims, to stay away from them in FSX. I like helicopters an awful lot, but don't find that the situational awareness in this game is really up to the task. If you have a TrackIR or something then *maybe* they'd be fun to fly, but after completing all the helicopter tutorials, I basically decided that the game revolved around planes, there were much better focused helicopter sims out there that I'd rather play if I was in the mood for that, and that I'd largely be ignoring them from that point forward.

For stuff like flying a DC-3 over the rocky mountains though...this thing is cool beans ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Hum... Ok, I guess I'll try it when I have some more time.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

I remember playing one of the first versions of MS Flight Simulator on a Commodore 64 and I've had a couple of different versions since then. MS Flight Simulator X was in part responsible for inspiring me to get my pilot license in 2007. There is an amazing amount of technical detail in the game and it gave me a great head start with my real life flight lessons to boot. That coupled with the multiplayer community around FSX made the in-game experience come alive. I haven't played it for awhile but at $5 with Steam support and the influx of new players, I'm definitely picking it up again. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than polluting the skies.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abzu93 wrote:I remember playing one of the first versions of MS Flight Simulator on a Commodore 64 and I've had a couple of different versions since then. MS Flight Simulator X was in part responsible for inspiring me to get my pilot license in 2007.
That's frigging awesome man. I'm having a ball with it, and I can certainly see how it would act as inspiration.

I don't think I've ever assimilated so much information about aircraft operation in such a short period of time. Love all the missions they've included in it, like I was just instantly thrown into a cockpit of a learjet and challenged with landing it on a short runway in the rockies near Denver, having never flown it before. Quickly surveyed the instruments, figured out the basics, and brought it down perfectly with a great deal of satisfaction, especially given I have all the realism settings maxed out.

To me, that sense of satisfaction represents overall gaming goodness, regardless of subject matter.
Renegrade

Post by Renegrade »

Little FYI (a bit late, unfortunately) that South Park: The Stick of Truth is on sale for Steam's Midweek Madness (3 hours and 40 minutes left at the time of this writing).

I bought it for full price back in the day, and enjoyed it, although I didn't think it was worth the full price. Now it's about 13.59 CDN (-66% off of 40 CDN), which seems like a good deal to me.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

All three of the Endless titles (Space, Legend and Dungeon of the Endless) are both on sale for half off as well as free to play for the next 48 hours. I've run through the Endless Legend tutorial and so far I'm really liking what I see.
Better is the enemy of Good
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Pixel Piracy is currently 75% off, and apparently recently much-updated - at least according to the Terraria forums.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

The Star Wars Collection which includes:
Dark Forces
Knights of the Old Republic
The Force Unleashed
The Force Unleashed II
Battlefront II
Empire at War - Gold Pack
Dark Forces II
Jedi Academy
Mysteries of the Sith
Jedi Outcast
KOTOR 2 - The Sith Lords
Republic Commando
and Starfighter

Originally $99.99 is now $23.00 until May 7th, how ever if you were to buy each game individually it would cost $42.17.

M̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶4̶t̶h̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶!
Happy "Revenge of the 5th!"
Spoiler
Show
"Don't force your smiles and don't feed you frowns. Instead do your best to feed each others' smiles and let your negative emotions be known without trying to force frowns. This is the apex of communicating emotions."
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Distant Worlds is on sale for half off. Understand, these guys rarely ever discount like this, so grab it if you have any interest in a complex space opera. Who knows when it will discount again. They didn't for the holidays, and that's pretty much their speed.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Not steam but the entire Dawn of War series is on sale with the Humble weekly bundle alongside Company of Heroes
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Space Run is currently 75% off. I've had this one for awhile, and while I don't think it has enough extended play value to be worth full price, at less than 5$ I think it's definitely worth a go.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

FarSky is currently on sale for $3. I agree with FlowerChild here when he says it's maybe six hours of play, but it's certainly worth $3 just for the experience.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

https://www.humblebundle.com/

What is in the new bundle? Games you should have!

World of Goo
Super Meat Boy
Limbo
Braid
Risk of Rain
Antichamber

I love all of the above games, the titles speak for themselves. Problem is, they are probably already in your collection :P

Also included

Dustforce DX - never heard of this one

Dungeon Defenders Collection - Fun game but not a must have like the above ones.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:https://www.humblebundle.com/

What is in the new bundle? Games you should have!

World of Goo
Super Meat Boy
Limbo
Braid
Risk of Rain
Antichamber

I love all of the above games, the titles speak for themselves. Problem is, they are probably already in your collection :P

Also included

Dustforce DX - never heard of this one

Dungeon Defenders Collection - Fun game but not a must have like the above ones.
If anyone's wallet is running low - or you already have everything but these three - here's some codes
Spoiler
Show
Limbo 2N9AQ-HI3VK-D534M

Braid DX83E-MNGJ3-JPMY4

Risk of Rain JTZM7-YB5ER-L3XMV
And if you don't have risk of rain, get it. Seriously, it's really kinda good.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Stormweaver wrote: And if you don't have risk of rain, get it. Seriously, it's really kinda good.
I just snagged that key, been hoping to get a bit of play in that game. As for dustforce, if that's the one about the janitors in a platformer it's pretty good game to chill with. Beautiful, elegant and quick as you make it to be. Thanks for the key storm :)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Risk of rain has two things thar make it too much fucking addicting. Multiplayer and achievement unlockables attached to a % of game completion. I have over 50h clocked at this game and i love it.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

magikeh wrote:As for dustforce, if that's the one about the janitors in a platformer it's pretty good game to chill with. Beautiful, elegant and quick as you make it to be.
It is. Haven't played it myself, but it looked like a very solid platformer.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Just a heads up:

Steam Summer Sale just reduced 7 Days to Die by 60% to about $10 and Prison Architect by 85% to about $5 (!)
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote:and Prison Architect by 85% to about $5 (!)
Yikes. That feels a bit excessive. The game hasn't even come out of early access yet, and from what the devs have been saying as of late, it sounds like they are getting close to release.

Weird pricing strategy there, but yeah, definitely grab it at that price if you don't already have it :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Invisible inc is also 33% off, for me that is 13,32 euro. Not a bad price considering it is a great game, though you will get better discounts in the future for sure. Given that I do not have time to play it right now, I'll hold off, but I do think it is a good price.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Does anyone not own Transistor yet? 75% off.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Invisible inc is also 33% off, for me that is 13,32 euro. Not a bad price considering it is a great game, though you will get better discounts in the future for sure.
I know this is getting rave reviews, and as a fan of both turn based tactical games, and of Klei (due to Don't Starve), I wound up picking it up last week.

Sadly, my opinion on it is "meh". A lot of the reviews rave about depth, but I didn't really see it to any extent that would impress me. The campaign is very short, the options in the strategic metagame/world-map feel very limited, and I didn't see a whole lot of tactical diversity. I played for a handful of hours, and didn't feel compelled to boot it up again since.

So yeah, I'd recommend holding out for a better sale if you want to give it a try. It seems like a solid little game, but really nothing to rave about.