Steam Sales

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Ozziie

Re: Steam Sales

Post by Ozziie »

FlowerChild wrote:If I remember right I think package deals on the M&B franchise pop up fairly regularly on Steam.
Are you a wizard? Literally just appeared as the next flash sale! :)
Spoiler
Show
EDIT: Not only are you a wizard, you also beat me :(
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

For anybody that enjoys a fun Tower defense game with a twist (different classes (towers), RPG element with item upgrades for yourself, and stat distribution to boost yourself/towers) - Check out Dungeon Defenders.

I really, REALLY like this game. :D And for the next 3 hours it is still 75% off. @ http://store.steampowered.com/app/65800/ If you are wondering what it is all about, check out my videos ^_^
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

dungeon defenders is a lot of fun but you defo need some friends to play it with, to many people playing with hacked gear made me quit the game a half year back. Steam logged 518 hour but a lot of that was just being afk for my own shop. still put a lot of hours into it ^^
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

FlowerChild wrote:Not sure what the big deal with Chivalry is. Isn't it basically a multiplayer only knock-off of Mount & Blade?
It's more or less an improved version of a half-life 2 mod with a similar name. The same crows developed both.

Edit: the mod was named Age of Chivalry
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17510/

Not many good games on sale today, though any self respecting RTS player should already own Company of Heroes. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a note that "Towns" is currently at 50% off (7.50$ U.S.) in a community choice sale for the next 8 hours.

I've spent a fair amount of time on this game as of late. I think it's best described as a Dwarf Fortress knock-off with a MUCH better interface, but far less depth (at the moment anyways, as it's still in development).

Anyways, for anyone that is intrigued by Dwarf Fortress but who has been put off by that game's terrible interface, IMO, it's a great way to experience a similar form of gameplay.

I personally love Dwarf Fortress, and have spent a fairly large amount of time playing it, but the UI generally holds me back from coming back for more. If I stop playing it for awhile, I find I have a very hard time motivating myself to get back into it. As such, I find Towns to be a much more pleasant experience overall.
Extreme Boyheat

Towns was certainly interesting, only problem I really had with it was that priority list. Would have preferred it to be able to designate a townie with a certain task instead of all of them doing the same thing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:Towns was certainly interesting, only problem I really had with it was that priority list. Would have preferred it to be able to designate a townie with a certain task instead of all of them doing the same thing.
Yeah, agreed. There are definitely a few problems with the current implementation, like one that really bugs me is it being a real pain in the ass to designate a group of barrels to store particular goods.

Not perfect, still very much in development, but IMO, an excellent introduction to DF style gameplay without having to go over the huge hurdle of learning DF's obtuse interface.

And even for someone like me that has played DF fairly extensively, I still am MUCH more likely to be inspired to boot up Towns than DF if I'm in the mood for that style of game, and that's entirely based on accessibility.

I know people get used to it, but really, DF's interface is just objectively terrible, and many people get turned off of it as a result before they get to the real meat of what's so much fun in there. You know it's bad when someone as hardcore as myself about his gameplay is more likely to play an imitation with far less depth as a result.

I really wish that Toady would have focused his attention on interface instead of going off on this adventure tangent he's been focusing on the last few months.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Hey, I played Towns like 6months ago, maybe a bit more :)
Seemed on a good way, but like you I was annoyed by the priority list, and how suicidal your townies were.
I'll give a look at the recent updates to see what I missed ^^
elustran

Post by elustran »

Any of you guys tried Gnomoria? It's also a DF knockoff, but it seemed to do a better job at first glance.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Sigh.. It has happened once more.. I snagged a bunch of games these past few days, and have a HUGE backlog.. and what am I playing non-stop?

Shining force for the mega-drive (genesis) for the 12th time. (actually a real number) Duh.

Good thing I grabbed Super street fighter IV Arcade edition and Street fighter x Tekken, my fingers were getting rusty :D

Also, for anyone not aware of it, GOG FINALLY added alien crossfire to Alpha Centauri. RUN and get it!

EDIT: Castle Crashers and AwesomeNauts are also on sale on steam, fun times.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Extreme Boyheat

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Also, for anyone not aware of it, GOG FINALLY added alien crossfire to Alpha Centauri. RUN and get it!
WOW, need to get this ASAP
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

and civ 4 is on sale.... looks like my wallet is going to get emptier....
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Just grabbed Arkham City (loved Asylum so I'm looking forward to giving that a whirl), a pack with all three Thief games,Cthulhu Saves the World, and a collection of games by the guy who made Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac - both of which I absolutely loved. All that came in at just under $20. Steam is the shit - never even dream of pirating games now when most can be had at such convenience and with such excellent pricing.

And just to plug it - if you haven't played Binding of Isaac go get it NOW, Humble Bundle 7 has it and you can get for a shamefully low price if you so choose. It's phenomenally fun.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

agentwiggles wrote:And just to plug it - if you haven't played Binding of Isaac go get it NOW, [...] It's phenomenally fun.
I can echo that sentiment. For those that don't know yet, Binding of Isaac can be described like this: the original Zelda + roguelike elements + dark humor = Isaac.
A mere 5$ even at full price, 63 hours spent on it and I'm still unlocking/discovering new stuff.
One advice though: Start with only the original game, play until you can run through it like it's nothing and then, add the expansion. Makes for a better experience imo.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

logorouge wrote:
agentwiggles wrote:And just to plug it - if you haven't played Binding of Isaac go get it NOW, [...] It's phenomenally fun.
I can echo that sentiment. For those that don't know yet, Binding of Isaac can be described like this: the original Zelda + roguelike elements + dark humor = Isaac.
A mere 5$ even at full price, 63 hours spent on it and I'm still unlocking/discovering new stuff.
One advice though: Start with only the original game, play until you can run through it like it's nothing and then, add the expansion. Makes for a better experience imo.
And it's on the flash sale now. This can't be a coincidence anymore, someone here must work for valve :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I have 314.0 hrs on record in Binding of Isaac. :fear:

Also I'm only a single achievement away (dark boy) from platinum god. Durrrr.
War..
War never changes.

logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Zaikantos wrote:And it's on the flash sale now.
Lady Luck has a good sense of humor it seems. :P
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

The X-series of space games went on sale today (X Superbox), and they look really interesting. Has anyone had any experience with this series? Worth buying?
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote:The X-series of space games went on sale today (X Superbox), and they look really interesting. Has anyone had any experience with this series? Worth buying?
I don't know much about them, but I've heard good things and picked them up today.

It's not just the superbox that's on sale btw. It's all X products. Myself, I decided to pickup X3: Terran Conflict + the expansion for 5$ total. Terran Conflict alone was 4$, so I decided it was worth the extra buck for the expansion just in case I really get into it.

At present, I'm still playing the shit out of Anno 2070 after picking it up when it was on sale the other day. REALLY love the game. It's an excellent combination between some of the deepest city building I've seen plus a little RTS action thrown in for good measure.

I feel slightly dirty enjoying an Ubisoft game so much, as I have a strong dislike for that company, but still...great game.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

For the next 9 hours, the Portal games are on sale for 75% off ($2.50 for Portal and $5 for Portal 2, or $6.25 for the bundle).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:At present, I'm still playing the shit out of Anno 2070 after picking it up when it was on sale the other day. REALLY love the game. It's an excellent combination between some of the deepest city building I've seen plus a little RTS action thrown in for good measure.

I feel slightly dirty enjoying an Ubisoft game so much, as I have a strong dislike for that company, but still...great game.
This bodes well, picked it up the other day in the sales and haven't played it yet. I hear they dropped the always on requirement, which is why I don't feel so bad. I can put up with their tactic of super-intrusive DRM for a few months then moderate DRM from then on - I still dislike their blatent dishonesty though.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote: This bodes well, picked it up the other day in the sales and haven't played it yet. I hear they dropped the always on requirement, which is why I don't feel so bad. I can put up with their tactic of super-intrusive DRM for a few months then moderate DRM from then on - I still dislike their blatent dishonesty though.
Same here. Ubisoft is pretty heavy duty on the corporate scumery. I do believe they've taken first place away from EA in terms of being my most hated game publisher.

But yeah, the game is seriously kick ass. Steam says I've played around 60 hours of it over the past 4 days, which seems about right, and after having completed the single player campaign I'm currently several hours into a continuous play game and I'm not even close to getting bored with it.

I decided to take a few days off of modding between Christmas and New Year's just to chill out and take a little breather after the chaos of the past few weeks. Anno was exactly what the doctor ordered there as it makes for the perfect virtual vacation.

BTW: Do yourself a favor and start with the campaign game. It doesn't clearly indicate it in-game, but it's basically an extended tutorial where most scenarios have you continuing to build up your base from a previous one, which offers a nice bit of continuity. Luckily, I read a review first that told me as much, but I suspect if you start with one of the many other options provided, the learning curve will be MUCH more steep, and it might result in the player becoming a little lost as to what it is they're supposed to be doing.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:-snip-
Man. That sounds awesome. I went and looked it over, and it looks like fun. The price is a little too rich for my blood, though. I'm sorry that I missed the sale.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: Same here. Ubisoft is pretty heavy duty on the corporate scumery. I do believe they've taken first place away from EA in terms of being my most hated game publisher.

This. I don't care if they have kickass games or if they removed the always on drm from some games. I'm still boycotting them to hell and back, I really feel the need to send them this message, I'm not going to tolerate this crap, not even a second. In fact, this boycott is going as far as even refusing to download a torrent of a cracked UBI game, with the sole intent of not adding to the buzz and traffic about their games. :P

Unfortunately one of my alltime fav series, the HoMM franchise, is under ubisoft.. This is probably the first heroes game I haven't bought the minute it came out since heroes 1, heh.

Other than that, I recently got Disciples 3: Reincarnation. Was a huge fan of disciples 2, and D3 was a bit of a letdown, but I've been hearing good things about it's third iteration (D3 renaissance, D3 resurrection, D3 reincarnation, all of them standalones afaik).

Finally, Gamersgate has Jagged alliance crossfire on sale. Being a huge fan of Ja2, I'm wondering if I should pick it up, despite all the negative things about it.
War..
War never changes.

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

You know a publisher is doing something wrong when you feel a strong need to search for a crack to apply to the game you just paid full retail price for. Every single time. People are still able to pirate games that ship with always online style DRM within a week of the street date. Can someone please explain to me why the publishers are still spending ungodly amounts of money to implement something that completely fails in its goal and only serves to alienate their customer base?

I have spent more than I can afford already, mostly on wishlist items for friends, so I'm going to have to avoid looking at the offers for the rest of this sale. I do still have a spare copy of Saints Row 3 kicking around that I can trade tho.
Better is the enemy of Good