Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland - CLOSED / Deep Freeze

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Benanov

Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland - CLOSED / Deep Freeze

Post by Benanov »

Server is closed. We can't get BWR to build with 4.61 and the amount of redesign to re-work the tech tree with the changes to village golems is going to require more time than we have at the moment. (You can't bootstrap iron right now, and that's a serious problem.)

The world is not being deleted - I don't delete old worlds. You can still get a world download through git, and the map will work perfectly with the latest version of BTW as we didn't add any blocks or items. The 3D builds (such as the clay farm and any unlit cash portals, and plant xb setups) will not produce anything, but they won't hurt anything by being there. (This *was* one of the goals of BWR. It succeeds admirably.)

Original post follows in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
Show
Oh hell no. This is not what you expected. When you get your hands on your travel agent, you're going to strangle them, then feed the pieces into a millstone. Twice.

Instead of the lush forests, tropical beaches, deep oceans, and tall mountains you were promised...what lies before you is an inhospitable wasteland.

Running BTW 4.56 and BWR 0.26.0456 pre-release
Ignore the pre-release stuff.

Server address: broam.dyndns.biz:25568

Difficulty: Normal (may shift it to Hard if everyone asks nicely; see poll).
Land composition: 1x bedrock, 2x sandstone, 1x sand.
Additional stuff: Villages, Strongholds (3x), desert temples, desert wells, decorations.
Biome: Desert biome. That's the second bone you got thrown (no rain/snow).
Lava lakes are on too, but those apparently do not occur in deserts, so it's a sort of useless option, here because I like verbosity.
Hardcore options: all except player names, and spawn. Water is scarce - did you think I was going to let you move it? Spawn was disabled because it makes the game unfairly penalize player death (no redstone means no compass.)
Admins: Warr1024, Benanov, DaveYanakov

Decorations are the third bone I've thrown you here - there's plenty of cactus to make a wall, and you'll want additional plant diversity for plant cross-breeding. Strategy will come in the follow-up post.

White-list is on, and you may join us in IRC - #bwr on espernet. nuWastey will funnel your chats on the server into the channel, and vice versa. Feel free to visit!

Please note: this is on my home internet connection. The server will withstand a decent level interest, about 10 players at a time. It's fairly beefy as far as servers go (AMD triple-core running a really minimal Debian install) but it will fall over if you hammer it. Try not to, it would make me sad.

This is not an anarchy server. You don't have to share (we do, just ask), just don't wreck others' builds, nor steal other people's work, or loot their bases. This server is meant to be an extraordinarily challenging experience...and not from fellow players. I don't like herding cats; don't make me.

Update 2: I will not respond with posts if you are whitelisted, unless you ask a question that I think needs to be responded to publicly. Check your PM's.

Update 3: new players, upon request, get a one-time "bus ticket" to Benanov's Oasis village. You die, you're on your own. Try not to use the bus ticket right away.

Update 8: Bumped to 4.41. If you are using Uristqwerty's CraftGuide mod, you should get BWR recipes in your list. Snazzy.

Update A: 0.25 Release. You can drug wolves, construct blazes, and renew diamonds.

Update E: We can tell if you're trying to log in without being on the white-list. I will start adding names of people who've tried. :)

Update F: The server wrapper we use ("nucraftd") now broadcasts death messages into the IRC channel, so people who are spectating, or who are playing on the federated servers can see how you took your dirt nap.

Update 10: I removed useless updates, so there will be some holes.

Update 12: Bump to 4.54; disabled HC spawn due to player request & executive fiat.

Update 13: Updated to 4.56. You are so screwed. Bring plenty of food if you are going to cross the wastes; otherwise you will starve. We will be building roads, expanding tunnels, et cetera.
Last edited by Benanov on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 am, edited 31 times in total.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Benanov

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.42 / BWR 0.25)

Post by Benanov »

Basic strategy

If you log on at night: dig a hole, build a fort, and pray for day.

Your first goal is saplings. These only are found in blacksmith chests and other people's tree farms. As of this writing, there are no tree farms, so good luck with that. If you do use another player's tree farm, at least be an adult and replant. Since you're all hardcore independent folk, no one actually uses anyone else's tree farms, or dies before they find a village they like, so this entire section is moot, but I'm leaving it in here because.

You also need a village. Find one, and wall in what you can, probably with cactus. Try to find one with a blacksmith reasonably close to water - guess what, that's your cobblegen. You may wish to seal a couple of villagers inside a lit house, because they're stupid and will throw themselves against your cactus wall. (I recommend the library, as that's the only place you're going to find a crafting table.)

Dirt is *very* rare on this map. BWR makes it renewable but it's pretty far up the tech tree. A few houses will have some inside, but the butcher's shop has the most - that little fenced in yard is your biggest source of dirt. Creepers blowing up your dirt is very damaging.

Once you have wood, you can finish your wall - and the helpful blacksmith's furnaces will get you charcoal...and later smooth stone.

You'll need a mill stone & hand crank, so get those next.

Try to find 10 ingots. You'll need 3 for the bucket and 7 for the cauldron. Don't be stupid and make armor or tools. That's what wood's for, as well as finding it in the chests.

After that, it's time to declare death to skeletons and start cross-breeding plants.

Plant crossbreeding is a very fun mini-game. You need at least two kinds of plants. I've seen the following plants in my village:

Tall Grass
Roses
Cactus
Wheat
Potatoes
Carrots
Oak Saplings (note: only saplings work for crossbreeding, not mature trees.)

Since you need at least two species to cross breed (any two will do), this should be plenty - plus you'll want to start at a few places on the tech tree. Get yourself a hoe, grind up some bonemeal, and start farming. Cross-breeds do not mutate existing plants...they make new ones.
Spoiler
Show
Instead, make nice fertile hydrated farmland spots, and surround it with plants that you think are similar to want you want to obtain. Given enough luck, you'll get the plant's "descendant" (rarest), its ancestor, or a clone of the plant itself, or just a weed (tall grass).

The result must be able to grow on the land. (Lilypads and vines have some weird requirements, but they ARE obtainable later in the tech trees) I will not stress this enough: Ferns are not useless weeds; you should be celebrating getting them, as they're on the longest branch of the cross-breeding tree.

Plants are related. Cactus, being a tripartite plant, is going to be obviously related to other sorts of plants that are similar to it - like hemp & sugarcane.
Wheat's a foodstuff, it's going to be related to carrots & potatoes. (It's a stretch, I know).
Dandelions & roses are related.
Lilypads are a mutation of ferns.
Saplings are related.
Melons & pumpkins are related.

You can, with enough work, get all the plants. Vines & Cocoa are hardest. Cactus is hard too but you got that for free.

Fungus has its own rules, but you can't get soul sand yet.
You'll want to at least get most of the saplings before seriously diving into animal crossbreeding.

Update: You can attract animals by placing out some food on a sun-light patch of tall grass. To make tall grass, you need grass blocks. To get grass blocks, you need to have "failed" at plant crossbreeding and gotten a weed. That gets you tall grass with a free grass block underneath.

You can also at this point build up a village. Villagers sell a few fewer things in BWR. You want melons? You'll have to raise them. You should, at the least, buy flint & steel and shears. Shears are indispensable for crossbreeding (as you can't move certain plants without shears) and Flint & Steel is your only way to the Nether.

Speaking of the Nether...there's an alternate way to build a portal. You'll need some money, though. About 90 emeralds should do, plus expenses.
Last edited by Benanov on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

thygrrr

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.37 / BWR 0.22)

Post by thygrrr »

Ign: thygrrr

Interested because:
I am a great fan of a server called Arglyx Wasteland / Desert, though I think they pamper their players too much early on with public feeders and free chicken eggs, and they don't have BTW. Thus I am delighted to see this one come up. Looking forward to having to eat Rotten Flesh to survive. :)

While I prefer true anarchy (but not vandalism), I also think in this world, cooperation is the most rewarding strategy (kind of like in the snowdrift dilemma, google it). Meaning it's even closer to the actual strategies that are part of a truly gripping survival experience. In other words, I'll play by the rules.

Also interested because:
Been looking into running a server at home like this and want to see how the dynamics between players are in yours. Also, I wonder what you did to the World generator or of this is all parameters.

Would be awesome to be whitelisted :)
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

thygrrr wrote:Been looking into running a server at home like this and want to see how the dynamics between players are in yours. Also, I wonder what you did to the World generator or of this is all parameters.
Whitelisted.

Hardcore spawn is on, so right now there's not much player interaction :) The server has been up for about 12 hours.

The world is just generator parameters.

I've run a superflat server before, and there was no hardcore spawn. I found a village near spawn (that had saplings) I put down camp & left it open to the public...what followed was a rollercoaster: It was awesome to wake up and see a new building...it was horrible waking up and finding that yet again someone did not replant the farms, took valuable crap, or squandered some resource I had been saving in my personal chest.

I finally found saplings (6-7 villages later) so now it's just a matter of "get the wall up" and "don't die"

Bazgracz

Post by Bazgracz »

Hello,

Well I applied for another server but that another server is more casual. I'm applying for this server because it looks hard and I like things like that. Yes I'm new to this forum but I try my best to do as much as I can to post things. I just like to have variation. When one server will start to bore me a little I will change and go to another to play there. Well There is Casual, here is Hardcore. Two different ways to play. Anarchy style is also another way to play.
My ign: Bazgracz
I hope you will respond fast :)

Sincerely, Bazgracz.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I would love to be whitelisted for this. IGN: istp4lmrs
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

This looks very hard. That is good by me. Co-op player interaction will also be quite interesting.
IGN: danielngtiger
I would request a white-list, this looks like lots of Fun.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
thygrrr

Post by thygrrr »

It's difficult, but not hard. Visibility is great and there's no endless mining. I hope we'll get Animals somehow.

The server itself is geared to make the most out of BWR, which is an interesting experience!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The whole idea of having to mutate wheat into a grass in order to have any grass blocks at all on a server is a fun concept. As is the fact that you end up hoarding the fertile loam of dirt blocks as if it was worth its weight in diamonds. Living in fear that creepers will blow up your dirt reserves is a whole new experience.

This sort of thing can be done as a sort of "Hardcore Anarchy" with the hardcore spawn features of BTW but this is set up in part as a public test server to find kinks in the system.
Better is the enemy of Good
LiveInPain

Post by LiveInPain »

IGN:LiveInPain

It really looks like an interesting and challenging idea i've only played BTW for a month and i woud like to try BWR, and I like to play with other people. I respect other and don't break rules.

I really would like to be whitelisted.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Also, one thing I am looking forward to in this is that I have absolutely NO idea how any of BWR works, so I'll be figuring it out on my own. I haven't had a chance to get on yet, but will be on most likely in the next few days.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

dawnraider wrote:Also, one thing I am looking forward to in this is that I have absolutely NO idea how any of BWR works, so I'll be figuring it out on my own. I haven't had a chance to get on yet, but will be on most likely in the next few days.
This is true of me as well, and was a big part of the appeal of the server.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

ign: Ribky

I haven't really played in a couple of weeks due to a lot of things going on irl, but this has me intrigued. I'd love to try this out if you'd be so kind.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Shinxy

Post by Shinxy »

IGN: Malatose

I'd love to try one of these servers out. Been doing a single-player world based on a similar concept, and I'd love to join a server to try out not only this with other players, but BWR too. And it's a plus that it's non-anarchy. Nothing against it, just not my cup of tea.
Woo challenge!
:V
Benanov

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.37b / BWR 0.22)

Post by Benanov »

As I stated in the latest update to the post, we are stuck on 4.37b for the time being. I'm sorry if that impacts your ability to play.

We're still narrowing down the cause of the bug that breaks the build on 4.38.

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Bazgracz and Benanov have successfully torn the fabric of reality asunder and opened the very gates of hell!
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
aeper

Post by aeper »

Would love to try this. Maybe do a LP for it?
Benanov

Hardcore Spawn

Post by Benanov »

I have Hardcore Spawn on, however, it does not work on worlds where most of the places you will spawn are below "sea level" - which is pretty much the entire world, since y=5 for most of the world.

Because of FC's policy of not discussing code & mods on the forums, we will not be entertaining discussion in this thread. Just know that you will most likely show up at regular spawn. If you manage to show up on top of a desert temple, send me a screenshot.

Just know we know about it.

Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Updated to 4.40 / BWR 0.23.0440.

kylejames99

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.40 / BWR 0.23)

Post by kylejames99 »

i would like to join the wasteland server, i am a big fan of better than wolves but cant find a good server will you please whitelist me

IGN: kylejames99

Reason for joining: i want to play on a fun better than wolves server
Rumbler308

Post by Rumbler308 »

Relatively new to online play. Have played a lot of BTW solo but I really wanna play with more people for obvious reasons. Pleasssse whitelist me :)

IGN: Rumbler117
classicsam

Post by classicsam »

I would like to join this server it looks like alot of fun

IGN: ClassicSam1

Specialty: Builder

This looks like a really fun server can you please whitelist me
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Considering I just banned kylejames99 from the forums due to him PMing me to try and get me to convince you to reverse his server ban, I just wanted to say that I think you made entirely the right choice there :)
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Thanks! I hope we taught him a valuable lesson about not being an entitled brat.

TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I'd like to give it a shot. :) I feel like I need a challenge after puttering around in single-player for months. I'm very curious to see what this map offers.
Username: TaterBoy

See you all in the desert hopefully. :D
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.