New Release! (BTW V4.35)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Samorost

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.35)

Post by Samorost »

FlowerChild wrote:Let the giant flaming sword construction commence! ;)
:D

Thank you for everything FlowerChild I think your mod never ceases to amuse me: o)
Czech Republic :)
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

-Added the ability to grow sugar cane diagonally bordering on water, because I've always found it annoying that you couldn't, and I am a take-no-prisoners-certified-base-class-modifying-maniac.
Any chance of the changes getting reflected in the world gen?
-Fixed vanilla bug that caused particles (especially torch flames) to flash all over the screen in an exceedingly annoying fashion.
Just so you know, this was supposedly fixed in 1.4.5 pre... They failed. (source)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

AAH they just keep coming, there is no end to this madness!!

Now to build somewhat, but not entirely unlike, sword-like flaming structures.
basalte

Post by basalte »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Added the ability to grow sugar cane diagonally bordering on water, because I've always found it annoying that you couldn't, and I am a take-no-prisoners-certified-base-class-modifying-maniac. Fear my wrath puny sugar canes! FEAR ME!!!!

Just thank you FC ^^
Spoiler
Show
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:Man, emergency patches while I'm shit-faced are not my idea of a good time, but I can get the job done :)
You are an inspiration to us all :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:Man, emergency patches while I'm shit-faced are not my idea of a good time, but I can get the job done :)
But it makes the best bug report ever :p

Thanks for the release bro :)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Magnavode wrote:
-Fixed vanilla bug that caused particles (especially torch flames) to flash all over the screen in an exceedingly annoying fashion.
Just so you know, this was supposedly fixed in 1.4.5 pre... They failed. (source)
From what I understand, it failed because Mojang copy/pasted the code offered in the bug report, which had the MCP names of variables and methods instead of rewriting it using the names that Mojang uses internally. FC implemented the concept behind the fix rather than just copying it in.

On-topic: Great to see you've updated! Always good to see bugfixes that don't break other things.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh good...nothing seems to have exploded with that drunken bug patch.

Yikes. Can't believe I pulled that off. Last time I did anything like that I was much younger and crazier ;)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Thanks for the update! Looks good and burning hellfire blocks are fun! I'm contemplating ways to work them into my mob trap to take care of a small oversight that gets a spider stuck every now and then. Also thanks for correcting the visual location of fire, that is actually helpful in me builds as it makes determining the true burn radius more accurate.

And one last thing, from a previous release you separated slime from glue. Thank you so much for this! That's always been one thing that's bothered me, I never saw slime as having the same properties as glue and I didn't like them being interchangeable. I'm glad you isolated their usage.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: And one last thing, from a previous release you separated slime from glue. Thank you so much for this! That's always been one thing that's bothered me, I never saw slime as having the same properties as glue and I didn't like them being interchangeable. I'm glad you isolated their usage.
Well, that all came from sticky pistons (so Mojang were the ones that decided the glue-like properties of slime) and water wheels. I originally introduced glue as a mod-specific way of making them, as at the time, slimes were exceedingly hard to come by.

But yes, since then it's kinda evolved into something else entirely, so I think it was the right time for a split :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Nice work on the drunken patch.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Nice work on the drunken patch.
Hehe...thanks man. That was a relatively rare bender for me (I've been taking it easy as of late), so as luck would have it, I would of course have a release explode on me when that happens.

New rule for me: don't drink on nights where I release an update to a new version of MC. The addition of SMP to the mod, and my lack of ability to effectively test it locally, just makes it too likely I'll have to patch post release.

Yes, I can do what I did last night if push comes to shove, but it's an entirely unpleasant experience, and I was also lucky in that it was a relatively simple bug to fix.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

FlowerChild wrote:I was also lucky in that it was a relatively simple bug to fix.
Hey, even if it wasn't and you'd have been way to shit faced to handle it last night, I'm certain most of us would have no problem waiting until morning for you get to fixing it. However, I love that you are dedicated enough to this mod, and the quality of it, to go out of your way to patch a bug while you're trying to enjoy your Friday night.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thordan Ssoa wrote: Hey, even if it wasn't and you'd have been way to shit faced to handle it last night, I'm certain most of us would have no problem waiting until morning for you get to fixing it. However, I love that you are dedicated enough to this mod, and the quality of it, to go out of your way to patch a bug while you're trying to enjoy your Friday night.
Yeah, it's just that server crashes really aren't cool IMO. It's one thing if you're playing a game locally and you know doing something specific will crash your game. It's another if any player can bring down a server through their actions.

I hate crashes in general, but server crashes are particularly evil.

Anyways, I know people don't expect it of me, it's more a matter of it seriously aggravating my sense of professionalism to have a crash bug in a version I've released to the public. I don't have a professional testing team at my disposal anymore or what have you, but still, with the years I spent in the industry, I developed a strong distaste for releasing anything that crashes. and tend to take it very much to heart when it does happen.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Cool, thanks for the update, FC.

It must be frustrating spending most of your time these days fixing the base game instead of working on your own ideas. Thanks for soldiering on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RezDev wrote: It must be frustrating spending most of your time these days fixing the base game instead of working on your own ideas.
Well, yes and no. I enjoy "fixing" the base-game design wise like with a lot of the recent hardcore tweaks. I find it very satisfying, and I think it has maximum impact in terms of bang for the buck.

But yeah, I'm not so keen on chasing a moving target in that regard, and that part is indeed frustrating.

HOWEVER, the plans I have for Beacons are now so hela-cool, that I think it made the past couple of months of nightmarish updating all worthwhile. They're probably not something I would have included myself, but Mojang doing so in a fairly broken state acted as a source of inspiration that triggered ideas I might not have had otherwise.

So, no complaints :)
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Ooh, I like this change to the fire rendering :)
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, yes and no. I enjoy "fixing" the base-game design wise like with a lot of the recent hardcore tweaks. I find it very satisfying, and I think it has maximum impact in terms of bang for the buck.
Well, as long as you're still having fun with it it's cool then. I'll keep playing it, as it's fun to be a (small) part of an ever-evolving project.
HOWEVER, the plans I have for Beacons are now so hela-cool, that I think it made the past couple of months of nightmarish updating all worthwhile.
You're such a tease... :)

It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Again, thanks for the mod, the diaries, the forums...it's all way cool. :)
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Yesss... Time to mess with the texture files and make hellfire blocks look like diamond blocks 'cause its time to make a diamond sword enchanted with Fire Aspect II...
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Minecraftgeek70

Post by Minecraftgeek70 »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.35 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
You sire are a god, not necessarily a benevolent deity.. but more one of those gods from the elder pantheons of gods.. ones with more arms and teeth and swords than feasibly possible and with a penchant for scorched flesh sacrifices and demanding unwavering devotion from their followers.

but heck! A god NONE THE LESS!

thanks.. as I've already donated to the cause (and therefore given you my unwavering devotion) all I can say is... "The scorched flesh sacrifice is in the post"

;)
HardCandy

Post by HardCandy »

finnaly i was able to register here on this forum <3
first of all, Awesome mod, great job with "fixing" vanilla for us.
I've been using your mod for quite time, and with last release ive noticed that zombies behave weird when stepping down from blocks when they are on "atack mode" towards one.
Is it just me or there is something wrong with pathing maybe?
KittenToaster

Post by KittenToaster »

Hats off again FC, nice one!

One thing ...
Going back a few versions to 4.22 changes as it's taken a while to filter through I suppose as we only play this map if most of us are online, but the decision you took in switching the hibachi to require elements instead of filaments and thus require blaze powder was spot on. Moving onto the pottery tier is now actually a challenge instead of a "meah" moment that gives no real sense of accomplishment. Subtle and calculated tweaks such as the above really do make the mod shine and slows the ability to jump through tiers in the early game, which I certainly approve of.

Thanks man ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

KittenToaster wrote: Going back a few versions to 4.22 changes as it's taken a while to filter through I suppose as we only play this map if most of us are online, but the decision you took in switching the hibachi to require elements instead of filaments and thus require blaze powder was spot on. Moving onto the pottery tier is now actually a challenge instead of a "meah" moment that gives no real sense of accomplishment. Subtle and calculated tweaks such as the above really do make the mod shine and slows the ability to jump through tiers in the early game, which I certainly approve of.
Oh! Thanks man! Yeah, that change went almost unnoticed, so thanks for taking the time to comment on it :)

That was actually what I was talking about awhile ago when I asked about whether map size impacted server performance, as I was considering making that change, but wanted to make sure that people looking for Nether Strongholds wouldn't start to bog a server down.

But yes, it's a small change but one that puts a lot more emphasis on the nether within the tech tree.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Thanks for my feeding my continued addiction with another release. I actually don't even patch until you've updated any more.

Back to the previous comment on the elements addition, since I started a new world in 1.4.2 I've yet to reach pottery (can't find a bloody Netherhold). Prior to that change I could power to steal in under 8 (usually 6) hours. When I finally find that Netherhold I'll be jumping with joy ;)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Hmm not entirely sure about this but 'baked' potatoes can be made in a cauldron..?
Never say no to Panda.