Lucasfilm Bought by Disney

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Cuchonchuir

Re: Lucasfilm Bought by Disney

Post by Cuchonchuir »

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:Given that Lucas has spent the years since then hiring people to make more EU, and employed (Or did until a few days ago) Leland Chee specifically to manage all this and keep conflicts down, I'd say the 11-year-old quote is kinda irrelevant. There's a lot of debate on Wookieepedia about levels of canon and so forth, and essentially that just isn't true. Canon is.
What people argue on Wookiepedia is immaterial; GL has reiterated this point multiple times, as has Chee. Now maybe it's outdated now, but it's more than just one quote from 11 years ago - I just picked one.
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:The EU is not crap. Not in any way. I have spent nine years working with this stuff. Karen Traviss did indeed stop working with Lucasfilm because the Clone Wars overrode her entire five-book series, and she didn't want to rewrite the entire thing to conform to the new canon.
It's just my opinion it's crap; you can disagree, totally fine. I was quite into it for a very long time, too, then came to dislike where it had all gone. I still love the original trilogy (I still have a lot of original figures mint in package . . .), just not the EU.

But I still remember some fondly. I think my favorite books were the Aaron Allston X-Wing books; he had a great blend of humor and drama. That and the Han Solo trilogy (the newer one, not the really old one). Actually, I thought the novelization of the Force Unleashed game was great; I feel like the author (whose name escapes me at the moment) was one of the few who had a real consistent idea of how the Force worked. Again, though, that's just my opinion.
This is what I'm afraid of. If they do this, they will effectively destroy hundreds of books, comics, and games, things that I and every other serious Star Wars fan have put thousands of hours into. That would be very, very bad, and I think it's going to happen.
I can see how it would be upsetting, but we've known for some time that it's basically another universe very much like the original. The Clone Wars show may very well be contradicting a lot of the CW-era books and comics and things - even if just because of the impossibility of these characters being in so many places over such a relatively short period of time.

C'est la vie. It doesn't make those works less good, if you like them.
There's no way they'll be as good as the originals. That's just not gonna happen.
I agree. I just wasn't phrasing it as strongly. But if they're at least competent and entertaining it will help get rid of that foul taste the prequels left in my mouth.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Caboose wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Bahahahahah, thanks for this!

Also, I don't see how Disney can screw up the series anymore than Lucas did on his own.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

For me personally, and what looks like a large number of others, I have a hell of a lot more trust in Disney then I do in George Lucas these days.

Just so long as Jar Jar Binks stays the fuck out of Disneyland I will be 100% okay with this deal.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Remember way back in 2008 and all the jokes we're hearing now were the same exact ones being told about Disney buying Marvel? Remember how Disney has been remarkably hands-off after dropping an insane amount of money on the company? You know what happened then? They brought in Joss Whedon and we got the Avengers.

How does your childhood look now? Cause mine is shiny.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Just so long as Jar Jar Binks stays the fuck out of Disneyland I will be 100% okay with this deal.
Lol! I just had this mental image of the drunken/surly South Park version of Micky Mouse kicking the crap out of Jar Jar...oh how it made me smile :)
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

DaveYanakov wrote:Remember way back in 2008 and all the jokes we're hearing now were the same exact ones being told about Disney buying Marvel? Remember how Disney has been remarkably hands-off after dropping an insane amount of money on the company? You know what happened then? They brought in Joss Whedon and we got the Avengers.

How does your childhood look now? Cause mine is shiny.
Spoiler
Show
Still so shiny? XD

Just giving you crap, I still love the Avengers, and yeah, if Disney can do that, I'm pretty sure we'll have a Star Wars sequel worth watching more than episode 1,2, or 3.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

At the very least I expect Disney to do slightly better than what is officially the film following A New hope...
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Im fully confident that Disney cant fuck StarWars into the ground more then Lucas did... But Lucas can!!! He now owns 40million shares of Disney making him the second largest non-institutional shareholder in the company. Add that with his already stablished egodriven prodution style and he may very well destroy Disney from the inside...

We can only hope he does really retires and I can finally see a Pixar animated bounty hunter adventures movie.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Cuchonchuir

Post by Cuchonchuir »

I don't think I'd worry about that. He's already said he's going to put most of this money towards philanthropic goals, like improving education.

I suspect he's just tired of doing film.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Ow my friend i so hope you are right, its just that there is a big leap between making movies and being engaged in production of the product that made you rich. I bet creative consultant is a less stressful job then director, but in Lucas hands its just as nocive. He is not letting this bone go easily you can count on that.

As a side note i'll like to redirect all the people who cant quite understand why Lucas or the Prequels are so bad

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

if you have the time these sum up all that is evil and wrong in the world... ow my sweet childhood...
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!