New Release! (BTW V4.30)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.30)

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed problem with nether wart growing at an extremely reduced rate.
For those who haven't visited their netherwart farm since this release. This is a DRASTIC change. My 9x18 netherwart farm seemed just barely big enough before, now I'm collecting stacks of netherwart easily.
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

Vertical windmills... Is it me or did something happen to FlowerChild? If anyone suggested this, he/she would've gotten banned within seconds. I mean they are really sweet looking, but that's really unlike FlowerChild to add aesthetic features to the mod. Anyone have an explanation for this?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

mazer246 wrote:Vertical windmills... Is it me or did something happen to FlowerChild? If anyone suggested this, he/she would've gotten banned within seconds. I mean they are really sweet looking, but that's really unlike FlowerChild to add aesthetic features to the mod. Anyone have an explanation for this?
It's pretty straightforward if you dig around a bit man...especially in the RP MCF thread.
Six

Post by Six »

mazer246 wrote:Vertical windmills... Is it me or did something happen to FlowerChild? If anyone suggested this, he/she would've gotten banned within seconds. I mean they are really sweet looking, but that's really unlike FlowerChild to add aesthetic features to the mod. Anyone have an explanation for this?
It's also not purely aesthetic, they are now the only way to get mechanical power in the Nether. Now we have 3 distinct methods of generating mechanical power:
  • The normal windmill, which only works in the Overworld.
  • The vertical windmill which works in the Nether and Overworld and is twice the costs of the normal windmill.
  • The waterwheel which works in the End and Overworld and requires a saw + water flow.
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

Well I looked around, but couldn't find anything to explain it. I mean, the vertical windmill looks really awesome, but it is really unusual for FlowerChild to add features that just serve an aesthetic purpose. I know that now its the only source of power in the nether, but the ordinary windmill served that role quite well. All I found was that RedPower introduced a vertical windmill, but what does RedPower have to do with BetterThanWolves?

:Reworded post.
Last edited by mazer246 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

mazer246 wrote:Well there might be a reason, but I couldn't find it. That is why I posted here. I was sort of looking for an explanation. All I could find was that RedPower implemented a vertical windmill. And six, what was wrong with the ordinary windmill? Why did FlowerChild feel the need to add a vertical windmill? The only explanation I can come up with is: He was trying to implement something really awesome, but finds it difficult. So he just makes something a bit easier to implement. However that sound like FlowerChild at all.
Why would you assume that implementing a feature means he couldn't implement a feature? That doesn't make any sense. What's this "something really awesome" you're guessing he wanted to make?

It looks cool and probably wasn't all that hard to put in place, who cares why it was done?
Charzy

Post by Charzy »

I believe it's more to do with Eloraam blatantly copying Flowerchild's sails, so Flowerchild counter-copied her vertical windmill.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

mazer246 wrote:Well there might be a reason, but I couldn't find it. That is why I posted here. I was sort of looking for an explanation. All I could find was that RedPower implemented a vertical windmill. And six, what was wrong with the ordinary windmill? Why did FlowerChild feel the need to add a vertical windmill? The only explanation I can come up with is: He was trying to implement something really awesome, but finds it difficult. So he just makes something a bit easier to implement. However that sound like FlowerChild at all.
First of all, what I choose to spend my time implementing, and what other people *suggest* I spend my time implementing, are two entirely different things. I implement aesthetic features from time to time, but hate requests for them.

If I'm in a whimsical mood and decide to implement something funny or decorative with my time, then obviously if I do so. If someone suggests I do so however, I'll tell them to fuck off. Pretty simple.

Secondly, the short version is Eloraam and I have a long history, largely revolving around her continually ripping off features from other mods. In fact, that was the main reason I left the Forge around a year ago.

She decided this time to implement a Wind Mill, and did so in a way that imitated the precise physical dimensions of the blades of the one already in the mod, obviously in an attempt to troll me. I decided to respond with my own vertical Wind Mill as a middle-finger towards such behavior.

The vertical design was actually suggested by RenEvo months ago during one of his streams as fitting more with the concept of convection driving a Wind Mill within the Nether (heat rises). At the time, I didn't want to implement it, because it didn't seem worth the day or so of work it would take for something that was largely an aesthetic change, even if it did make more sense, but I did take mental note of the idea.

However, combine the visual variety, it making more sense AND me being able to say "fuck off" to Eloraam in such an amusing fashion at the same time, and suddenly it becomes worth my time. Players benefit through having a new aesthetic feature and functionality that better fits the nether, and I benefit from having a good laugh...everybody wins.
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

Oh ok, thanks for the reply. It is really the first time I saw you do something of this sort, and it seemed to violate your coding standards. But you are right, there is a difference between what you want to do and what other people want you to do.