WOOT! I got out of jury duty :)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

WOOT! I got out of jury duty :)

Post by FlowerChild »

Just got a letter excusing me from jury duty. All I had to do was return the pre-paid envelope they had previously sent me, acknowledging I had received the summons and asking to be excused for reasons of conscience, along with an explanation that I could not in good conscience apply laws that I may not agree with...basically hinting that my participation risked leading to jury nullification.

So...didn't have to go to the court house or anything. They obviously wanted nothing to do with me after the above :)

Thanks again to those of you that put me on the right track with this to begin with!

<dances>
morvelaira

Re: WOOT! I got out of jury duty :)

Post by morvelaira »

Cheers! :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Huzzah!
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Congrats man!
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

I don't want to start some political, only some questions: Can everybody in the US called to jury duty ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Donzaffi wrote:I don't want to start some political, only some questions: Can everybody in the US called to jury duty ?
Everybody so long as you're: an adult, a citizen, not a felon, and have your name in a government system somewhere for some reason (drivers license, registered to vote, taxes, etc.).

Got called myself a few months back and neurotically refreshed the court date page until my jury group was canceled the day before. Phew.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Miss_Kat wrote:
Donzaffi wrote:I don't want to start some political, only some questions: Can everybody in the US called to jury duty ?
Everybody so long as you're: an adult, a citizen, not a felon, and have your name in a government system somewhere for some reason (drivers license, registered to vote, taxes, etc.).

Got called myself a few months back and neurotically refreshed the court date page until my jury group was canceled the day before. Phew.
thx :)

and congrats FC
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Jury duty isn't so bad, was called about a year ago. I can be quite entertaining trying to persuade 7 people that their verdict is based purely on biased assumptions and then to watch their arguments degrade into petty name calling and raised voices. At the end of it, it felt like I was on trial purely by my peers.
tedium

Post by tedium »

given that this has now all ended, i'd like to recommend the 1957 movie "12 Angry Men" for the viewing pleasure of all. I really enjoyed it, and it comes in at number 6 on the IMDB top 250 movies of all time, with a rating of 8.9, so don't just take my word for it :)

to put that in perspective, it actually ties 4th to 8th with Pulp Fiction, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Schindler's List, and The Dark Knight. If you haven't seen it, you probably should :)
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Both watching it and reading it are great, however, don't watch the new one. It's awful. The old one is fantastic, as is the book/play.
IGN: Camerinthus
LaserSushi

Post by LaserSushi »

As a person who gets begrudgingly thrown into legal affairs (I have been called in as an expert on a few things, and my employment contract makes refusal potentially grounds for termination ) I can say I can agree that dealing with courts is not at all fun.

Not at all.
Kudos to you man.