PvP vs. PVE

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
LupusExMachina

PvP vs. PVE

Post by LupusExMachina »

Basically... What do you enjoy more?

As for me, it is more of the PVE, something I find really lacking in Minecraft. The environment is pretty toothless as it is and I'm quiet exited about what FC will do to the endermen in the future.
I loved the world I started in, as I soon found a village with only two inhabitants in two buildings. Nicest play I had in a long time, expanding this thing while constantly fearing about the safety of my two little squidguys until I finally had a well defended village with golems in it. Fun went kinda downward from that on, as the village was safe and I had stored some of the villagers away in my arc structure, containing two of every species in case my overworld population got decimated for whatever reason.

PVP is neat as well, but not my personal favorite as it is. I'm more of a builder type and even though the suspense is quiet nice, I miss options of defending my base when I'm gone. I know traps are buildable, but they really don't do the trick for me.

So, being into building things and still enjoying threat to my creations, I am the PVE type.

What about the rest here?

PVP, PVE, peaceful altogether?
abzu93

Re: PvP vs. PVE

Post by abzu93 »

LupusExMachina wrote:Basically... What do you enjoy more? <snip> PVP, PVE, peaceful altogether?
For me, playing different genres of video games is like listening to music. Sometimes I like Devo blasting away at my eardrums, but sometimes I like Gustov Holst doing it instead. By the same token, occasionally I'll play an FPS, RPG, or RTS, or just drop those in favor of some stupid time management game.

Short answer: It's a mood thing. PVP or PVE. Dead Kennedys or Peter Gabriel.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

PvP is FAR more interesting if it weren't for the fact that MC isn't really a game built for PvP. The majority of the time it devolves into two players just clicking at each other while jumping, which is stupid.

But I have played on an anarchy server and tracked someone through the nether who knew I was following them. The excitement of knowing that if I get close enough they'll catch a broad arrow, but if I give them enough space I might fall into a trap is unlike any kind of experience you can get from a PvE situation.

The only thing I would like is for Mojang to make nametags completely invisible if you're crouching behind walls (or maybe even if you're not crouching?) so that being snuck up on and assaulted is a serious threat.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

Mason11987 wrote:The only thing I would like is for Mojang to make nametags completely invisible if you're crouching behind walls (or maybe even if you're not crouching?) so that being snuck up on and assaulted is a serious threat.
I read this the other week. Tips #14 and #15:
EDIT: Link to the article - http://minecraft.wonderhowto.com/inspir ... t-0133851/
WonderHowTo wrote:You cannot see player names through chests and signs, even if the player is not crouching.
When players are behind a wall or underground without crouching (holding the shift key), you can see their player names.
When a player crouches while behind a wall or underground, you will not be able to see their name.
There are some pictures that go with the article. Personally I always thought you could see through walls even if the player is crouching, albeit very faintly.
KittenToaster

Post by KittenToaster »

I'd lean towards PVP if the server has a decent community spirit and it's not just running around pillaging then TNTing others bases. Being able to build up some rapport with a few people really makes PvP servers shine in terms of looking out for each other and sticking together for protection.
A server I played on way back had PvE in the Overworld and PvP in Nether and The End, when the Nether & End were reset every month it was complete warfare to claim spawners etc. ;) That solution worked really well IMO.

So I'd go PVP if there is a good community and not just a bunch of random twathammers.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Minecraft is not a combat game for me. So neither. :p
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abzu93 wrote: For me, playing different genres of video games is like listening to music. Sometimes I like Devo blasting away at my eardrums, but sometimes I like Gustov Holst doing it instead. By the same token, occasionally I'll play an FPS, RPG, or RTS, or just drop those in favor of some stupid time management game.

Short answer: It's a mood thing. PVP or PVE. Dead Kennedys or Peter Gabriel.
+1. This is exactly how I feel, and why I don't really get how many seem to take it as a choice between anarchy *or* creative.

Play both as the mood suits. I certainly do.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Other players are the environment. Planning for the actions of other players is the same, conceptually, as planning for the actions of mobs, just more difficult. PvP vs PvE is really shorthand for Competitive or Cooperative. It's the difference between the servers listed as "Friendly" and the servers listed as "Anarchy." I'm being a bit of a stickler because I think sloppy communication is leading to unnecessary misunderstandings.

Now It's really well known that I'm a cooperative kinda guy, so you'd think I'd come down on the Coop side of this. You couldn't be more wrong. I might visit a friendly server to see what people are building, but I wouldn't play on one for the same reason I don't play on peaceful. Put me down for the hardest mode of all: I'm playing as a pacifist on an anarchy server.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Pacifist? Wow man... I wouldn't let that get out. It's one thing to say I support order and cooperation on an anarchy server. But pacifism is a whole nother ball of yarn...
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Dude, I've been completely open about. I intend to remain completely open about it. I'm not telling anyone else how they should play. But I stand for cooperation in an hostile environment, sharing resources, and above all refusing to be afraid of my fellow players. It's not much, but it's the best protection I can give my work. If you know, for a fact, that I will never turn hostile against you, what reason do you have to destroy my industrial capacity?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I mean I'm not intending to screw with other people's work either. But if someone starts attacking me or destroying my bases I will go to war.
TheAnarchitect wrote:If you know, for a fact, that I will never turn hostile against you, what reason do you have to destroy my industrial capacity?
I can see what you're saying. But there's thievery for one. Also there's the fact that if you're sharing that capacity openly people who are less inclined toward pacifism will be gaining a technological advantage from in. Loners like FC have a lot to fear from that.
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

TheAnarchitect wrote:If you know, for a fact, that I will never turn hostile against you, what reason do you have to destroy my industrial capacity?
Boredom.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Dude, I've been completely open about. I intend to remain completely open about it. I'm not telling anyone else how they should play. But I stand for cooperation in an hostile environment, sharing resources, and above all refusing to be afraid of my fellow players. It's not much, but it's the best protection I can give my work. If you know, for a fact, that I will never turn hostile against you, what reason do you have to destroy my industrial capacity?
I twice wiped out the industrial capacity of players on Jaded's server. My favorite was the person who built an underground base lined with wood everywhere, I just placed a few lighted netherrack and let nature take it's course.

There was also too many bases open to the surface early on. I wanted to make it clear that wasn't a valid strategy.

I also booby trapped desert temples with original traps, because players see them and if they don't see any obvious trace of players discovering them they immediately know how to disable the trap, and completely ignore their other surroundings. :D
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'm also not being entirely stupid. I have a hidden base (or two, or three) in addition to what I build above ground. Also, I'll defend myself, and I reserve the right to go nuclear on people who constantly harass me. You may argue that these last two clauses disqualify me from pacifist on technicalities. But in the immortal words of Agent J, "Don't start nothing, Won't be nothing."

But I totally disagree with your assessment of "Viable strategy," and instead of arguing it theoretically, I plan on proving it in the ring.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Mason11987 wrote:I twice wiped out the industrial capacity of players on Jaded's server. My favorite was the person who built an underground base lined with wood everywhere, I just placed a few lighted netherrack and let nature take it's course.

There was also too many bases open to the surface early on. I wanted to make it clear that wasn't a valid strategy.

I also booby trapped desert temples with original traps, because players see them and if they don't see any obvious trace of players discovering them they immediately know how to disable the trap, and completely ignore their other surroundings. :D
And you also put your nether portal in a stronghold, which I plundered and destroyed, including the zombie spawner. Don't forget to mention that bit ;)
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

HavokSCOUT wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:I twice wiped out the industrial capacity of players on Jaded's server. My favorite was the person who built an underground base lined with wood everywhere, I just placed a few lighted netherrack and let nature take it's course.

And you also put your nether portal in a stronghold, which I plundered and destroyed, including the zombie spawner. Don't forget to mention that bit ;)
Didn't notice a zombie spawner. But yeah, I tried and failed a few times to kill the dragon from that portal a few weeks ago. Being off from the main end land made it really annoying. After three sets of steel gear being lost to the void, I just abandoned the whole operation, not worth it.
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

Minecraft PvP's never held enough interest for me. Blandly clicking people until they die is too effective, making the need to set traps and whatnot considerably less useful.

I think there's a great deal of potential, but no tools to make it work. It'd be interesting to have a server where once a week at a set time, one faction tries to turn the opposing faction's fortress into rubble, but that'd get really boring really fast unless it involved siege engines, trap-filled hallways, and other fun things.

The only exception I could think of would be a server with very limited resources, either due to world generation edits or simply using something like BorderGuard to enforce a small world size.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Necromancy is generally considered taboo and frowned upon in modern society...

10 days went by, let the dead stay dead man.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her