Pumpkin Lore

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Detritus

Pumpkin Lore

Post by Detritus »

Okay, so I'm curious about how pumpkins fit into the BTW and vanilla Minecraft lore. When placed on top of a stack of iron blocks, or a stack of snow, they come alive. Also, endermen are scared of them... Why?
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Pumpkin Lore

Post by FlowerChild »

I can tell you they DON'T fit into the BTW lore. I hate that shit :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Yeah, I know. It makes no sense. As much as I like them as a decorative item, the uses for them are crazy-stupid.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:I can tell you they DON'T fit into the BTW lore. I hate that shit :)
Don't lie. I know you're all about the hardcore pumpkin pie ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Don't lie. I know you're all about the hardcore pumpkin pie ;)
Well yes...that part I like :)

Creating "life" by placing a pumpkin on a couple of blocks? Not so much.

If I actually liked golems, it would probably be something I'd want to give "the treatment" to ;)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

"Hardcore Golemancy"?
:P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:"Hardcore Golemancy"?
:P
Yeah, pretty much. The golems in MC strike me as "we want golems, but haven't developed our game enough that we can have a creation method that makes some sense within the context of the game, so let's just stick a pumpkin on it".

The BTW tech-tree would actually be much better suited to integrating something like that given all the soul action going on.

Anyways, like I said, I don't particularly like the current golems, so I wouldn't be motivated to do something like that unless I had my own take on them planned.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Yeah :)
I love the concept of a magically controlled slave who can perform simple tasks, or can be set up as a mob sentry or any such thing.
In vMC as they are though, they are ridiculously easy to create, and do not function in a sensible way...
Anyway, yeah.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:Yeah :)
I love the concept of a magically controlled slave who can perform simple tasks, or can be set up as a mob sentry or any such thing.
In vMC as they are though, they are ridiculously easy to create, and do not function in a sensible way...
Anyway, yeah.
Yup, exactly, but given that they're fairly useless anyways, and can easily be ignored, I haven't really considered them to be a priority ;)

I've definitely got other plans that I want to get done before addressing those kinds of relatively benign issues.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Yeah, don't think I was making a suggestion, just expressing a desire. It may eventually fit the mod to have golems redone in a fun and interesting way, and it may eventually fit in your schedule to overhaul them, but I can definitely wait.
:)
Six

Post by Six »

I think trying to reason vanilla minecraft lore runs into an interesting situation with the upcoming update. Steve place place a pumpkin on snow blocks, it turns into a snow golem. Steve place a pumpkin on iron blocks, it becomes an iron golem. Steve combine a pumpkin with milk and sugar and eats it, ???
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

personally I think the villagers should be able to defend themselves instead of spawning iron golems.

EDIT : This isnt a suggestion just an opinion how it should have been done
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

I do rather like how they implemented building the wither, and in a way it kinda fits into BTW lore (to me at least). If the utility golems were somewhat similar, I'd enjoy them quite a bit more. Who wouldn't want to stick a severed Testificate head onto a pile of iron blocks? It'd still need a reason behind how it actually comes to "life" though.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Lets not turn this into a "how to fix golems" thread. Because that's dangerously close to being a suggestion.

Instead, we can try to figure out WHY pumpkins have this mysterious power.

Obviously, it is because they aren't pumpkins in the sense that you and I think. They have faces. Endermen leave them alone. They're obviously plant monsters.

The pumpkin is a parasite. In it's larval stage, it grows on a vine in the shape of a head with a face. Then it waits for something to come by and lay still long enough. It will then attach itself over the poor victim's head, and will take over. It doesn't even have to be a living thing: anything with the appropriate shape will do. Unfortunately for the pumpkin, all it's former victim pool is currently zombie and thus already possessed. Steve is the only "person" around, and they can't take him over because he's pure evil. Testificates can't get taken over because their nose sticks out and prevents a good fit. Nope. Only statues crafted specifically for them now allow them to proceed from their larval form to their adult "Golem" state. The testificates have learned this and can create their own golems. Steve learns they same way he learns everything else: via maddeningly painful bursts of possibly psychic, definitely psychotic inspiration.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Lets not turn this into a "how to fix golems" thread. Because that's dangerously close to being a suggestion.

Instead, we can try to figure out WHY pumpkins have this mysterious power.

-Snip-
This was more what I was aiming for :)
I like your idea, too.
Cuchonchuir

Post by Cuchonchuir »

Perhaps they have some strange attraction to souls; the souls of the dead, seeing the faces on the pumpkins, but not quite of sound thinking ability, fly into the pumpkins thinking they're real heads.

This is what gives the pumpkins their orange color - they're beginning to take on a more red-hued tone like the nether. This does make you think 'why don't they explode?'

Well, if these soul-filled pumpkins have the capability of animating things that are normally not animate, and if they are not harvested soon enough - they ANIMATE THEMSELVES AND THEIR STALKS AND BECOME CREEPERS.

O
M
G
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Pumpkins as larval creepers! Awesome!
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Cuchonchuir wrote:Perhaps they have some strange attraction to souls; the souls of the dead, seeing the faces on the pumpkins, but not quite of sound thinking ability, fly into the pumpkins thinking they're real heads.

This is what gives the pumpkins their orange color - they're beginning to take on a more red-hued tone like the nether. This does make you think 'why don't they explode?'

Well, if these soul-filled pumpkins have the capability of animating things that are normally not animate, and if they are not harvested soon enough - they ANIMATE THEMSELVES AND THEIR STALKS AND BECOME CREEPERS.

O
M
G
+1
Six

Post by Six »

I support the concept of pumpkins acting as soul antennas.