New Release! (Version 2.91!)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
finite8

Re: New Release! (Version 2.91!)

Post by finite8 »

Kiln eh? Plotting method to Automate as i type.... curse you work! Why do i always have to do you when there is more fun stuff to do at home!

Can a piston push unfinished pottery without breaking it (i.e: reverting back into an item)?
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Fracture wrote:
TheGuy wrote: No candle recipe yet. I wonder if we're going to be using it as lubricant later on.
Refer to the "The Endermen Come" thread in the off-topic section for details. ;D
... Brain, broke... omg! lol

But to answer the question, I think tallow is still slated for a later release. Probably something in conjunction with the steel we are making stockpiles of. Might also be combined with some of the pottery for some lovely decoration.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

finite8 wrote:Kiln eh? Plotting method to Automate as i type.... curse you work! Why do i always have to do you when there is more fun stuff to do at home!

Can a piston push unfinished pottery without breaking it (i.e: reverting back into an item)?
Furthermore, do BDs place pots or expel them?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

TheGuy wrote:Nope. Nothing about rolling steel in that post.
You seem to have completely missed the point.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Fracture wrote:
finite8 wrote:Kiln eh? Plotting method to Automate as i type.... curse you work! Why do i always have to do you when there is more fun stuff to do at home!

Furthermore, do BDs place pots or expel them?
We seem to be on the same wavelength :)
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

Looking forward to using the repair system, seems quite elegant!
Urian

Post by Urian »

BDs place unfinished pottery, pistons can't push them. As for an automated kiln, remember that the kiln needs bricks on all sides but the opening for it to work. If using BDs then you'll need two. The first place the second BD and switches it to a brick when the kiln should start heating. The second BD is placed by the first BD, needs to get one pottery from a hopper and place it, then get sucked back into the first BD.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm starting to regret starting a new world for 2.90 :| need to tech up soon instead of just making things look pretty.

But I'm thinking about the BD placing a BD idea, and sticking it on a turntable - pick up unfired pottery on one side, turn and place in kiln, replace BD with brick, fire pottery, replace brick with BD and pick up fired pottery, turn and place pottery for another BD to swallow and store.

Sounds complicated, but with the B-flip flop and counters gaining popularity, the circuitry should be simpler than it used to be. Might be an idea to start hoarding mossy cobble guys :/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I do have an idea for an automated kiln. The First BD, at the same level that the pot will be in the kiln, will place the clay block onto a turntable, which will be powered from underneath. When the clay is sufficiently turned into a pot, a second BD will replace the turntable with a brick block, the axel and gearbox powering the turntable will be retracted by sticky pistons, and a hibachi will be put into the Gear box's place, that will be powered from the side. Through all of this, a bellows will be going to get stoked fire when the hibachi pops up. After the pot is done, it will turn into an item, at which point the hibachi and brick block will retract, dropping the pot into a hole, where a water flow will take it to a hopper-chest. And the most annoying part of trying to build this is that the hibachi sets the first hopper on fire.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

As far as the railway problem goes... You may need a new item to melt individual rails to. Iron blanks or wafers, maybe? Anyway, smelting or crafting 3 of them together would make a Iron Ingot, so smelting and crafting 16 rails would make 5 and 1/3 iron ingots... Not ideal, but a decent solution.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Blame notch for fitting 6 iron ingots into 16 rails
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Triskelli wrote:As far as the railway problem goes... You may need a new item to melt individual rails to. Iron blanks or wafers, maybe? Anyway, smelting or crafting 3 of them together would make a Iron Ingot, so smelting and crafting 16 rails would make 5 and 1/3 iron ingots... Not ideal, but a decent solution.
Yeah, it makes it kind of difficult to have a simple solution when we're using 3/8 of an iron ignot per rail =.=
finite8

Post by finite8 »

With the kiln... does one side need to be open, or does it just require that at least 5 out of the total 6 sides is brick? i.e: Can i have 5 sides as brick with a BD on the other side?
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Yes, you can.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Fracture wrote:Yeah, it makes it kind of difficult to have a simple solution when we're using 3/8 of an iron ignot per rail =.=
Then again, looking at the glue, it seems it's quite possible to add a quantity requirement. So it's not really a problem.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

finite8 wrote:Can i have 5 sides as brick with a BD on the other side?
Should be able to, I think I had cobble on one side when I made my first kiln. I would say bd on the front for easy refills and then a set of sticky pistons flanking left and right. One moves brick out of the way the other pushes . Bet er yet both lower for a water stream to flow through.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Question for FC here:

I'm seeing designs of the Kiln where the 5 sides are NOT being encased in Brick. i.e: the top, bottom, back and left are brick, but the right is a Block Detector and the front is air. Based on the current specifications of "Must have 5 sides of brick", the provided example would seem to violate that. Instead, it seems to imply that being encased in brick is unessential.

I haven't been able to make a kiln yet, so i just want to know what the EXACT requirements are to get a kiln to function. Is this current implementation with one of the 5 sides being a non-brick block a bug/exploit to be fixed, or is the kiln being encased in brick NOT a requirement (i.e: can be encased in any type of non-transparent, non-flammable and non-gravity block)?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote: I haven't been able to make a kiln yet, so i just want to know what the EXACT requirements are to get a kiln to function. Is this current implementation with one of the 5 sides being a non-brick block a bug/exploit to be fixed, or is the kiln being encased in brick NOT a requirement (i.e: can be encased in any type of non-transparent, non-flammable and non-gravity block)?
You do realize I've refused to provide instructions for this release right?
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

In other words, try it finite, see what works xD
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

All I know is the back can't be a piston, because it didn't work when I tried that.
IGN: Camerinthus
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Fracture wrote:In other words, try it finite, see what works xD
lol. yeah, i got that. I guess my main question is that if it DOES work with anything less than bricks, is that intentional or is it a bug.

I will give it a go when i can and see. Will post results in a new thread.
Yin

Post by Yin »

Awesome work FC!!

I have just a small suggestion for the Crucible.
-The ability to swallow items similar to a Hopper\Cauldron.

Thanks!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yin wrote:Awesome work FC!!

I have just a small suggestion for the Crucible.
-The ability to swallow items similar to a Hopper\Cauldron.

Thanks!
Yeah, I'll be doing that for sure. Always planned to, just haven't gotten to it yet :)
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Pretty nice :)

Pottery, didn't expect that one.

Tested it out quickly; seems nice to be able to repair iron tools now :)

Still feels iffy to have the Steel Tools be better then Diamond tools atm although i love the speed up :p^

I did have a good laugh about the vase being included though after you went on about where to place such items in the interview :)

Intrigued what the reason was/is :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
screally

Post by screally »

I just want to start out by saying I really enjoy the updates, and am really greatful for the people involved in this (especially FC).

However, with this recent update, I just have a feeling that steel is too easy to make to be better than diamond. While I like that there is an improvement over diamond (finally), I think perhaps implementing diamond directly in steel's construction process would legitamise (if thats a word) it's power; perhaps lining the inside of the crucible with obsidian or diamond itself to withstand the high temperatures? Or perhaps steel tools themselves requiring a diamond inset in their construction.

Currently its not extremely difficult to make steel, especially if you find slimes (since then water wheels are very easy to make), as lava buckets can be used to craft portals for netherrack (thus diamond is not currently neccessary).