New Release! (Version 2.91!)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Urian

Re: New Release! (Version 2.91!)

Post by Urian »

It makes perfect sense, where do you think the expression "swords to ploughshares" comes from? :)

You can also melt blocks of gold/iron into 9 ingots, might perhaps be useful in some form of automation (since the ingots will be ejected if the crucible is already full).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Yay! Now we can recycle!

The repairing system makes sense, since even though the metal armor/tools would be dented, dull, and damaged, (alliteration ^_^) most if not all of the material would still be there, and reforging it would make it strong again. Nice! Everybody is always asking for some sort of repair system, and you've managed to pull it off better than all the crafting table methods and such. Balanced and makes sense.

Bravo on getting a bugfix update out so soon, and at the same time adding cool new features to the new additions! I've only gotten more impressed with this mod as time goes on. Thank you and keep up the good work FC!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

darahalian wrote:Yay! Now we can recycle!
Joy! I wanted some sort of recycling system for the longest time but couldn't find a balanced way to do reverse recipes. Well that took care of that. Thanks FlowerChild.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Yes... Now I will have to update.... Unfortunately for me I just used all of my iron on a new rail line to my BTW tower/underground factory :(
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I didn't had time to play with the last release yet, but from the video and the pics I saw, it looks freakin' fantastic !
The recycling system is brilliant, the pottery quite unexpected, but opens up new horizons. Theese two things now makes you able to stay and live in the Nether, since you can now grow food and repair your tools.

Finally a new ingot added with sense, requiring many steps before you can get your hand on it, and I just love the way you added that. That's a big change compared to the "Added a new RoxXxorium Ore in the World gen." we can see in other mods :)

As for the vase, it's perfect for adventure maps, I'll definitely convert all of my reward chests for vase in mine :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thalmane wrote:Yes... Now I will have to update.... Unfortunately for me I just used all of my iron on a new rail line to my BTW tower/underground factory :(
On the bright-side, you can tear up any detector rails in your network and melt them down for iron :)

Hehe...I really need to allow the melting down of regular rails too. Was just a pain considering the iron to rail ratio in the vanilla recipe. Not seriously suggesting you tear up your network, but it bugs me that it's pretty much the only iron-based item you can't melt-down at present, and bugs me some more because I have a huge stock-pile of rails in a chest ;)
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

FlowerChild wrote:
Thalmane wrote:Yes... Now I will have to update.... Unfortunately for me I just used all of my iron on a new rail line to my BTW tower/underground factory :(
On the bright-side, you can tear up any detector rails in your network and melt them down for iron :)

Hehe...I really need to allow the melting down of regular rails too. Was just a pain considering the iron to rail ratio in the vanilla recipe. Not seriously suggesting you tear up your network, but it bugs me that it's pretty much the only iron-based item you can't melt-down at present, and bugs me some more because I have a huge stock-pile of rails in a chest ;)
Why don't you require a minimum number of rails before melting them down? We already require a minimum of 3 iron before converting to steel so there is precedent. If you say that we need to put in 8 rails to get back 3 iron then I certainly won't complain.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Awsome, even the .. ugh .. unexpected pottery stuff.
At first I thought the steel tools were a bit overpowered, but after I started a new map and tried how long it took me to get there I guess its fine, even though the hardest part is the haft, once you have the machinery the steel just piles up. Which leads me to a little mistake I did: I just thought I could make armor with steel as well and smelted all my iron to steel before I realized there is no steel armor.

Out of curiosity: Are you considering adding armor in the next age made of steel or do you think steve is not yet ready to make plates out of his steel ?
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Thanks for the update, first of all. I really appreciate the effort you put in and I love the mod.

With the addition of steel and steel tools, what are your thoughts on steel armor?

EDIT: to be fair, I posted this without having seen the post before me regarding armor. sorry about that
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

I remember hearing in the interview (I think, or was it the forge thread idk) that new armor requires an API of it's own (again, I think), so unless that functionality gets added to the forge we won't be seeing steel armor.

Plus steel is a very difficult material to shape with Steve's level of technology (but then again so is iron and especially diamond)
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

grimper12341 wrote:I remember hearing in the interview (I think, or was it the forge thread idk) that new armor requires an API of it's own (again, I think), so unless that functionality gets added to the forge we won't be seeing steel armor.

Plus steel is a very difficult material to shape with Steve's level of technology (but then again so is iron and especially diamond)
From the Forge API page on the MCF:
Features

- Infinite terrain and sprite indexes
- Support two-pass rendering
- Custom redstone connection direction
- Override block replacement/deletion
- Secondary properties for block (isNormal, isReplaceable, isAir, isBurning)
- Allow an item to have the first callback on a mouse click
- Custom explosion resistances by block and direction
- Custom buckets
- Custom armors
- Modification of list of mineable objects
- Advanced configuration files
Bolded.
IGN: Camerinthus
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

grimper12341 wrote:I remember hearing in the interview (I think, or was it the forge thread idk) that new armor requires an API of it's own (again, I think), so unless that functionality gets added to the forge we won't be seeing steel armor.

You can't shape diamonds except cutting/griding(can't think of the proper word atm) them to the form you want them to be, which is impossible to do for steve (at least when we talk about armor), so we shouldn't go there..
Once you can hammer steel into a blade you can form it to anything you want, plating isn't much diffrent if at all. Maybe we are missing the underlining padding ? :P Only thing I can think of which could prevent us from doing it.

Edit: Technically speaking we are using iron with a high carbon count, which isn't hardned steel (which is an entirely diffrent process), so it shouldn't be harder than iron armor for steve. Anyway, im just curious if we can expect it in the future or if it is just something flowerchild doesn't want, which is ok by me.
Last edited by Haidaes on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Remember that Flower said that the 2.9 update has some content related to the next age. One possibility is that steel will be a central piece (I mean, think of the amount of uses a block has before Flower implements them. Do you really think that some new tools will be the only use for it?) and we have therefore only seen the first few uses for it.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Haidaes wrote:-snip-
Well at this point, we're still making leather armour from the untreated cowskins. It'd make more sense to have a treated leather armour before steve proves his superhuman strength by running around in full plate mail.

Must admit, the move to the API seems like it's going to allow for a lot of 'common sense' changes that would have just been awkward previously.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Yushatak

Post by Yushatak »

Recycling sounds iffy to me too, but for a bit of a different reason - as you use tools, break them, etc. - material is lost. You can't just resmelt the same tool hundreds of times - after a point there are diminishing returns, and you need to add more material to recreate the tool. I'm not sure that it would be feasible to implement something like that, though, unless there were always diminished returns. Personally I'd opt for that, i.e., smelt a pickaxe, get 2 ingots rather than 3, and so on - that way you still need to get more materials. I'd also suggest that (smeltable) broken items not disappear when fully broken, but instead become unusable, but still remain smeltable - either as another item, or by changing the behavior of the items at 0 durability. All that said, though, I haven't used it yet, so we'll see if it changes my mind for me - these are just my initial thoughts.
Last edited by Yushatak on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Stormweaver wrote:
Haidaes wrote:-snip-
Well at this point, we're still making leather armour from the untreated cowskins. It'd make more sense to have a treated leather armour before steve proves his superhuman strength by running around in full plate mail.

Must admit, the move to the API seems like it's going to allow for a lot of 'common sense' changes that would have just been awkward previously.
Well like flower said just in this thread, the whole tool thing was something he didn't intend to do from the start. So it isn't entirely unreasonable to assume that armor might not be on his list.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Can a turtle repost this in Durandir's thread for me? He's got the kiln way too complex. All that is required is this:
Spoiler
Show
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

You didn't look his pic close enough, it's writen that you only need that, the other are optional ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Ah ok, then that's fine :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

It was mentioned that the vase functions like a one item chest, but nothing happens when I click on mine...how do u place an item inside?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

emmasteadman wrote:It was mentioned that the vase functions like a one item chest, but nothing happens when I click on mine...how do u place an item inside?
you right click with the item in your hand and a single block will be in the vase, to reclaim it you need to break the vase
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Has anyone found/looked for a use for Tallow yet? Perhaps there isn't one yet, but I'm still wondering what magnificent task it will be used in.
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

KriiEiter wrote:Has anyone found/looked for a use for Tallow yet? Perhaps there isn't one yet, but I'm still wondering what magnificent task it will be used in.
No candle recipe yet. I wonder if we're going to be using it as lubricant later on.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

TheGuy wrote:
KriiEiter wrote:Has anyone found/looked for a use for Tallow yet? Perhaps there isn't one yet, but I'm still wondering what magnificent task it will be used in.
No candle recipe yet. I wonder if we're going to be using it as lubricant later on.
Refer to the "The Endermen Come" thread in the off-topic section for details. ;D
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Nope. Nothing about rolling steel in that post.