Need help with a seed dispenser.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ServantOMallard

Need help with a seed dispenser.

Post by ServantOMallard »

Hi guys, I've run into a problem with a design I'm building for an automatic seed distribution system. I wanted a system hooked up to an automatic wheat harvester (2 wheat bioclocks) that would send 2 seeds back to the harvester and any extras directed to a chicken farm. The below is what I've come up with:
Spoiler
Show
The blue is where the input from the harvester will come from to say that the 2 wheat have grown and been harvested. I plan for all seeds to go into a dispenser on an ever running turntable clock. The seeds will be fired 1 by 1 in front of the detector block (in between the two green bits of wool). The block dispenser on the right is filled with 2 wool slabs (for two seeds - number can be changed to fit bigger designs) and a full block. The pistons in the center are there to block the signal from the detector block triggering the BD once the correct number of seeds have gone through until the input signal from the wheat harvester resets it. The yellow ring is a pulse limiter to stop the pistons being powered all the time. The red ring is the output signal to adjust water flow.

My problem is that the Detector isn't triggered for long enough by the falling seeds to trigger the BD counter. Any ideas?

EDIT: It looks a lot darker on here than the original screenshot, I'll get a clearer pic tomorrow
I must respectfully decline your request with massive explosions
abzu93

Re: Need help with a seed dispenser.

Post by abzu93 »

Maybe I'm a minimalist, but instead of using a wheat farm to seed the chickens, what about a hemp farm? That way you aren't forced to recycle hemp seeds. You could have a closed wheat system elsewhere.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
ServantOMallard

abzu93 wrote:Maybe I'm a minimalist, but instead of using a wheat farm to seed the chickens, what about a hemp farm? That way you aren't forced to recycle hemp seeds. You could have a closed wheat system elsewhere.
Yeah I'd thought about that but I'm in this more for the challenge than anything, my aim is to make this thing completely lossless. Plus I love my machines big and clunky :P
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

ServantOMallard wrote: My problem is that the Detector isn't triggered for long enough by the falling seeds to trigger the BD counter. Any ideas?
I had this issue with my dung farms as well since i was using the dung produced to trigger feeding. Falling in front of a detector isn't long enough. What I did is put a sticky piston extended in the spot where the dung (in your case seeds) falls so that it sits on the extended block in front of the detector. Then just run the signal produced from the detector back into the piston (delay as needed) and it will turn off (invert signal), causing the seeds to fall which turns the detector off, and then re extends the piston ready for whatever falls next. It's simple and doesn't take up much space.
ServantOMallard

I had this issue with my dung farms as well since i was using the dung produced to trigger feeding. Falling in front of a detector isn't long enough. What I did is put a sticky piston extended in the spot where the dung (in your case seeds) falls so that it sits on the extended block in front of the detector. Then just run the signal produced from the detector back into the piston (delay as needed) and it will turn off (invert signal), causing the seeds to fall which turns the detector off, and then re extends the piston ready for whatever falls next. It's simple and doesn't take up much space.
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Thanks, I'll finish this up over the weekend.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

I had the same problem with my new dung farm.
I simply used 3 repeaters in parallel on setting 1, 2 and 3. That's enough to trigger the BD reliably.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

You can also use Tripwire to detect falling items - it's very useful for that.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

I also ran into this problem in an old dung farm. I circumvented it through the use of a monostable circuit. But the piston thing sounds pretty straight-forward.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Itamarcu wrote:You can also use Tripwire to detect falling items - it's very useful for that.
Of course, why didn't I think of that? Definitely keeping this in mind for future builds! Thanks!
ServantOMallard

Itamarcu wrote:You can also use Tripwire to detect falling items - it's very useful for that.
I'll give this a try aswell, definitely handy for future builds, thanks.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

ServantOMallard wrote: --SNIP--

My problem is that the Detector isn't triggered for long enough by the falling seeds to trigger the BD counter. Any ideas?

EDIT: It looks a lot darker on here than the original screenshot, I'll get a clearer pic tomorrow
Am I the only person that when I read this thought... "So make the redstone pulse longer?"

It's a fairly trivial task to make a redstone pulse a given width required to trigger your setup properly.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redst ... e_Limiters

This should give you a basic idea of how to limit and extend redstone pulses.

As much as a simple problem could probably be circumvented (in this case with the suggested sticky piston) it's worth learning how to fix the issue, because in larger scale projects the "sticky piston" route won't always be as easy.
Sage

Post by Sage »

Like they've said, tripwires can work quite good, but can I suggest you to read on MC wiki the part about monostable circuits? They are like, the response to 90% of vanilla redstone problems :)
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.