New Release! (BTW V4.15)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Aeslynn Winterfell

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.15)

Post by Aeslynn Winterfell »

I look forward to checking out undertow effect. Though does the change to zombie door attacks apply only to villages? I started playing with 4.15 and a zombie just started banging on my door. : / *confused*
FlowerChild wrote:
Glace1221 wrote:How does a screw play a role in role-playing on SMP servers when combined with tanned leather armor? I don't see any recipe where a screw can be combined with tanned leather armor.
<face palm>
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Aeslynn Winterfell wrote:I look forward to checking out undertow effect. Though does the change to zombie door attacks apply only to villages? I started playing with 4.15 and a zombie just started banging on my door. : / *confused*
If I understansd it correctly it only removes the mechanic that allows zombies to spawn in well lit areas for zombie sieges. IE now with adequate preparation you can defend your villages against zombies without active participation. Zombies banging down doors is something FC has always liked and is something you already have ways to defend against like piston doors or iron doors.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:Was it intentional that Bellows not push items on top of trapdoors now?
Hmmm...I rewrote large portions of the Bellows code for the variable push distances, which now includes a concept of line of sight for the blowing which is blocked by pretty much anything other than air right now (and fire I think).

I can definitely add trap-doors into the list of objects that don't block it though. It would get a tad more complicated with some other blocks with multi-orientations and such, but with the holes in the middle, trap-doors are a pretty straight-forward case.

I'll put it in my todo for next release. Sorry about that man, I wasn't aware people were building sorters that way.
Sarudak wrote: If I understansd it correctly it only removes the mechanic that allows zombies to spawn in well lit areas for zombie sieges. IE now with adequate preparation you can defend your villages against zombies without active participation. Zombies banging down doors is something FC has always liked and is something you already have ways to defend against like piston doors or iron doors.
Yup, exactly. Door banging = good. Door banging with no lasting way to defend against it = bad.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Loving all these updates! Thanks!

Quick question, why don't you use adfly? Don't get me wrong, I love that you don't--but even if you included an adfly download link in addition to the regular one, I know I would use it. I don't have a lot of extra money right now, and it would be an easy way to show some support while I otherwise can't right now.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

tom_savage wrote:Loving all these updates! Thanks!

Quick question, why don't you use adfly? Don't get me wrong, I love that you don't--but even if you included an adfly download link in addition to the regular one, I know I would use it. I don't have a lot of extra money right now, and it would be an easy way to show some support while I otherwise can't right now.
Ah, there's an old question that I haven't seen for some time.

It boils down to motivations. Good ones and bad ones.

Adfly leads down the crooked path.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Quit the off-topic in release threads guys. Both of you have received temp-bans for it.
Tropa

Post by Tropa »

Wow, you update so fast, your keeping me on my feet sir.

Good work
A Drop Of Water Can Cause A Tidalwave.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote: Hmmm...I rewrote large portions of the Bellows code for the variable push distances, which now includes a concept of line of sight for the blowing which is blocked by pretty much anything other than air right now (and fire I think).

I can definitely add trap-doors into the list of objects that don't block it though. It would get a tad more complicated with some other blocks with multi-orientations and such, but with the holes in the middle, trap-doors are a pretty straight-forward case.

I'll put it in my todo for next release. Sorry about that man, I wasn't aware people were building sorters that way.
I appreciate the consideration. I was actually pleasantly surprised when this worked, so I wasn't too shocked it ended up breaking later but I just wanted to verify, so it's not a problem, I'll just disable my mob trap and work on any of a dozen other projects I have.

Thanks again!
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Real physics in minecraft. You sir, have made both my inner and outer nerd squee with joy.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote:Real physics in minecraft. You sir, have made both my inner and outer nerd squee with joy.
Well, there's actually plenty of physics in MC already. Also, what I did for buoyancy isn't "real" by a long shot. I was actually going for a cartoony and exaggerated feel to how items behave, as that tends to suit the rest of the physics in the game.

Unless you're working on some kind of simulator, 9 times out of 10 physics in games comes down to creating the perception of things behaving realistically, rather than actually simulating how they behave in the consensus reality.

One of my favorite moments in gaming history occurred a short time after the original Jane's Apache Longbow simulator came out. I'm a bit of a helicopter nut, so I absolutely loved that game. That game was being touted as the most realistic flight simulator of its day, and everyone was totally freaking out over it.

At one point, PCGamer decided to bring in a real Apache pilot to evaluate it. After playing it for awhile, they asked him how close it was to the real thing.

His response?

"Absolutely nothing like it whatsoever."

The lesson I walked away with from that, which I've never forgotten: it's all about the perception of what people think constitutes reality, not about simulating reality itself. If it feels "real" then often times that is way better than being real.
blithen

Post by blithen »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed fucking annoying door-banging and fucking headache-inducing vanilla problem with fucking zombie sieges spawning even when fucking zombies shouldn't be able to fucking spawn somewhere (like in fucking lit up areas) because I just couldn't fucking take it anymore. BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Lost my fucking mind, holy shit. xD You're a god flower, thanks for the update. :)
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

FlowerChild wrote:-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging and fucking headache-inducing vanilla problem with fucking zombie sieges spawning even when fucking zombies shouldn't be able to fucking spawn somewhere (like in fucking lit up areas) because I just couldn't fucking take it anymore. BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
You better watch that mouth young man, the next time you say "vanilla" I'll wash your tongue with a soap block ;)
Awesome updates, I'll give them a try when I finish Monkey Island (yes, it's the first time I play it, and yes, I'm a fucking heretic and I deserve to die :D )
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The word everyone is searching for is "Verisimilitude." It's what most people mean when they say something is "realistic."
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Little bit late to the party - there's some really great stuff in here, and I add my name to list of adoring, appreciative fans of the bellows changes.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)