New Release! (BTW V4.14)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
finite8

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.14)

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:
finite8 wrote:So yeah, it's unfortunate that modding isn't really recognized as any kind of professional endeavor, because it's obviously what I am best suited to, and what players get the most benefit out of.
Haven't you heard of DayZ? The only reason people are buying ArmaII is so they can play the Mod, and now it is being made into it's own game (i say "it's own game", but it is still essentially a Mod, but built directly into the game Engine and with support from the actual game devs).

We are entering interesting times as far as games are concerned. The balance of "What is popular" and "who can make games" is no longer in the hands the big companies like EA and is instead with Indie developers and Modders who are both developers AND consumers. Crowd sourcing is clear proof of that. I know it will bust at some point, but i am eager to see how far we go before that event occurs.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

"Bouy? Oh sweet zombie jesus, shit just got realistic." I've really got to ask where you get your ideas sometimes, because this bit of awesome came straight out of left field in my view. I never really paid attention to the floating fish mechanic, I thought they kinda spawned on top of the water... Either way, this really made my day today when I was harvesting a shore-side wheat farm and the inevitable happened, a bunch fell into the water. Imagine my surprise when they bobbed to the surface! Someone get this man a medal.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DocHussey wrote:Oh sweet zombie jesus, shit just got realistic."
Now don't go insulting me by using words like that when I'm giving out new features ;)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Redneck fishing has been near the forefront of my mind lately since it's how I pried my friend out of technic. He set up a tiny server so I could show him the tech tree in creative and he spent twenty minutes lobbing dynamite into a lake. Next morning I wake up and he has a survival server started with a small base already in place.
Better is the enemy of Good
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
DocHussey wrote:Oh sweet zombie jesus, shit just got realistic."
Now don't go insulting me by using words like that when I'm giving out new features ;)
Insults not meant, more like sincere praise! Once again, this is a feature that makes me smile and say "FlowerChild, fixing Minecraft one convoluted release number at a time!"
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Wgurgh

Post by Wgurgh »

I love the way that things you do make things harder, but make it possible to do even more with them. Like this, and like HCB with pumps. Ok, I might not be quite so excited if I hadn't been working so much on waterless designs lately, so not too much of what I have built should be adversely affected, but still...

I also like that you put the option to turn it OFF in the config, since I tend to be too lazy to mess with that. I tried from my first BTW world to follow HCB rules without them being enforced by the game, but too often found myself placing buckets to get my stuff to work.

Also, I know a few times I have (privately) questioned your decisions, but every time I decide to wait until I have tried it out before I complain. And every time I have found you knew what you were doing. Thank you again for keeping minecraft alive for me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DocHussey wrote: Insults not meant, more like sincere praise! Once again, this is a feature that makes me smile and say "FlowerChild, fixing Minecraft one convoluted release number at a time!"
No offense was taken man, I was just joking around about it because "realism" is a bit of a dirty word for me with regards to game design :)

Immersion, consistency, challenge, interesting gameplay and player decision making, and most of all, fun, are all factors in any design decision I make. Sometimes those factors happen to coincide with realism, but IMO, realism should never be the primary reason to include any feature in a game, as it can also act counter to any of those factors.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

This is very true. That's a big reason BTW is my game of choice. Immersion is just the way it plays. I spend more time planning out machines then I do planning my vacations! And challenge is the bread and butter of any game that wants to stand the test of time. You give us that in spades, and constantly up the ante in ways that require us to think insteadd of just do. There's not just one way to make a soul urn bottler, there's thousands, if not millions, and each one has its advantages. Each time you update, it makes me question myself as to how I am going to implement those changes within the worlds that I've created for myself. Sometimes, that requires me to start anew, other times it makes me tear down and rebuild. No matter how I do it, it never really seems like work so much as accomplishment. You should be proud of what you are doing here, as proud as I am to be a part of it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DocHussey wrote:You should be proud of what you are doing here, as proud as I am to be a part of it.
Thanks man :)

I observed awhile ago that creating BTW is probably the accomplishment I am most proud of in my life. That's pretty sad considering I've probably got over a dozen commercial games under my belt, but a positive thought in terms of me finally realizing what does actually make me happy ;)
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:
DocHussey wrote:You should be proud of what you are doing here, as proud as I am to be a part of it.
Thanks man :)

I observed awhile ago that creating BTW is probably the accomplishment I am most proud of in my life. That's pretty sad considering I've probably got over a dozen commercial games under my belt, but a positive thought in terms of me finally realizing what does actually make me happy ;)
quiet interesting statement, sry if I ask don't know if this falls under personal information: Have you made something with arts in your life? Because it sounds exactly like that what I said when i begun with music and photos.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I'm glad you're proud of it, FC - it's a truly amazing mod. 'Gratz, man, and here's to yet another update that makes me speechless!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

This here is some good stuff... With the recent additions in place, I really hope to see a day where HCB and HCBuoy are on by default with no option to disable. People who chicken out don't know what they're missing :)
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
shifty

Post by shifty »

Wow this is one of those small changes that has massive implications. No wonder you're excited to add this, its awesome! Thanks FC

Edit: There is something fun about watching buoyant items whiz along water flows.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Not much time to thank you but...
Thank you very much!
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

After having spent some time playing with buoyancy enabled, I have to say that even though it does make some things harder, the pros far outweigh the cons. HCB is cool too, but it's the type of thing that you might want to turn off occasionally, or choose not to use. It can be a fun, challenging, and ultimately rewarding mode of play, but imo it doesn't come close to the sheer awesomeness that is item buoyancy.
Unlike HCB, buoyancy is just so awesome that I don't really see myself ever wanting to disable it. Floating boat items, floating mob drops when you kill them in the water, more sorting and filtering capabilities, and overall just a more immersive gameplay experience, where buoyant items actually float on water, and more... there's just too much that you would lose by turning it off, and very little gain. I wouldn't be surprised if item buoyancy is the selling point of the mod for some people.
Anyway, thanks for making such a great mod, and sharing it with us. Minecraft just wouldn't be the same without it.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh man, I just started a new world just for this, and playing with HCB on, and so far I don't regret it. I'm gonna miss the old one, but I've got so many things I have to do in the new one that I don't have time to grieve ;)
Those 2 *little* changes you made, while relatively simple in their idea, is a total revolution in terms of design, everything needs to be changed, new puzzles to solve, new constraints, so new designs to find. I love it :)

And for fuck sake, could someone tell Mojang that they need a game designer, and that there's one around doing crazy amazing shit for over a year now ?!
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I remember complaining about the boat thing on the server, and you saying "Don't worry, I'll take care of that." This is way more awesome than I could ever have imagined. I love the way your best game additions always solve multiple issues at the same time, as side effects of something larger and even more awesome.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Six

Post by Six »

Yeah, I really underestimated how wonderful it is to kill a chicken or squid in the water, and not have the drops fall to unreachable depths, or to break reeds by the water and see any that fell in floating on the top. It's strange how wrong the vanilla sinking feels now.
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

Physics? In my minecraft?

But seriously FC, I'm loving this update.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for all the love guys. I posted about this in the Buoy spoiler thread, as I read it after this one after first waking up this morning, but I really appreciate the support right now.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Appreciate and deserve. It's releases like this which make it impossible to go back to vanilla, even for snapshot testing, and not simply be dumbfounded by the lack of... of... the convenient little things which BTW espouses. Like wolf fixes, like ender chests on servers, and now this. Kudos.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
orlandu84

Post by orlandu84 »

As others have said more eloquently than I, thank you, FC, for your continued work with BTW. As I was listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony and installing 4.14 this morning, I realized how much potential BTW had given Minecraft. Maybe it was the music, but I felt a sense of wonder and freedom for the work of sub-creation that BTW affords. For that you have my deep and enduring thanks.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

After playing around with it for a bit... I fucking love hardcore buoy.
Thanks FC :)
Dwarg91

Post by Dwarg91 »

While this will cause so many broken builds in my world I can say that I will enjoy the challenge of rebuilding my auto reed and hemp farm, and their subsequent processing centers.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

This looks amazing FC! Downloading it right now (that actually takes a considerable amount of time on my shit connection) but please tell me bread, apples, and cobble/gravel float, in keeping with your hint video.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.