New Release! (BTW V4.14)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.14)

Post by Battosay »

Thanks !
This seems very interesting, that's definitely gonna make me play again :)
I think I'm gonna start a new world though, no way I'll have enough motivation to redo all my water streams in my world ;)
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Funny thing - I had this exact idea recently (though as simple float/doesn't float system, this is much more fleshed out) but decided not to to suggest it since it would break existing builds. But this is definitely cool, I will have to start a new world for this (and HCB always on).
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Thanks, FlowerChild!
I'm pretty sure building a Feed The Beast map now is possible using all types of filtering.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
TSA

Post by TSA »

wow! wow wow wow!

really?

that is awesome. Interesting thing indeed.

Thanks FC

Nicely done this one.
LunaticToad
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

I....thats just......SQUEEEEEEEE!!!
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

How do you...I don't even...
You are insane, sir. In a maniacal, eldritch sort of way ;)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Dude, you seriously outdid yourself again. This is brilliant!
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

By the stars, this is WONDERFUL! I'm simply speechless!
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Salmonella

Post by Salmonella »

Hardcore Buoy reminds me of the floating fish when you fish with dynamite. This is interesting, and makes me really glad that I haven't reached full automation in my main world yet!
DocHussey wrote:More phallic worship, sheep style.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Feeling glad that I haven't started making use of any filtration systems yet. Should make for some interesting sorting. Also, good to see the changes made for addons, I can see a lot of ways people could make use of this.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
TheThievingMonkey

Post by TheThievingMonkey »

This seems pretty awesome, actually. I will definetly give Hardcore Buoy a go, as I was very pleasantly suprised once I decided to give HCB a chance. Thanks for the update man, awesome stuff indeed!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wow. Glad to see such a positive reaction to this one guys. I really wasn't expecting to wake up to this :)
Salmonella wrote:Hardcore Buoy reminds me of the floating fish when you fish with dynamite.
Yup, that's exactly what it is. When I did the fish, it was kind of a proof of concept on this kind of thing, but I wimped out at the time on applying it to all items both because of the work involved (once again I had to go through every block and item in the game to assign buoyancy values to each), and because it requires me to modify a couple of very low-level base classes (item and entityItem).

Anyways, while working on the add-on hooks yesterday, I realized that if I really wanted to do them "right" (at least from a performance standpoint..."instanceof" checks are performance hogs) for the Hopper and Bellows blowing, I really should be modifying the item class, at which point I had a "fuck it" moment, and decided to return to the idea of general buoyancy.

BTW really seems to be taking its own path now from vanilla, and I can't really tip-toe around making these kind of base class changes anymore :)

I actually had a rather funny moment while working on this yesterday. I was basically going through all the items one at a time asking myself "Does this float?", "Does that float?".

When I finally got to "Does Dung Float?", I immediately just cracked up laughing about being in a position to seriously ask myself that question ;)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:I actually had a rather funny moment while working on this yesterday. I was basically going through all the items one at a time asking myself "Does this float?", "Does that float?".

When I finally got to "Does Dung Float?", I immediately just cracked up laughing about being in a position to seriously ask myself that question ;)
The BTW version of "Does it blend?", I love it! :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:
BTW really seems to be taking its own path now from vanilla, and I can't really tip-toe around making these kind of base class changes anymore :)
Oh yes! The "fuck vanilla base class" moment we've been waiting for!

I'm so excited to play with this new buoyancy feature! I can't wait until I get the time for it tomorrow!

Also, battosay it's good to see you back! Haven't seen you around in a few weeks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: Oh yes! The "fuck vanilla base class" moment we've been waiting for!
Well, I wouldn't say that's entirely the case. The one remaining aspect that makes me hesitant about base class changes is that they generate more work for me during update cycles.

So I'm still trying to be reasonable there as I don't want to bog myself down to much, but yes, my threshold for what I consider to be "reasonable" has definitely changed ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

Awesome stuff! I have a special love for physical implementations, even though I'm still a bit newbish with the filtration mechanisms... Anyway this gives me an awesome need for enhanced dung production, and also for finding my friends fountains inside their bases :)
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
finite8

Post by finite8 »

buoyancy

This is one of those "Why not Vanilla?" moments.

Sir... you are a genius. Brilliant idea.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote: This is one of those "Why not Vanilla?" moments.
Because if you think your game is all about killing monsters, then why bother? ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

From personal experience (don't ask..I've been in some beaches of rather questionable..quality.) I can testify that dung does indeed float :P

But seriously, it's so simple as an idea, but it has so much application, potential, immersion, and style points..

It might mean I have to rework most of my waterflows, but this is a feature that is worth going through all that!
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think dung floating is mostly about diet and freshness.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys. I'm really glad that people are digging this so much. I've actually got it looking and feeling even better in the version that I'm working on where the items behave in a much more intuitive fashion when submerged. The amusing part is that this largely involved greatly simplifying the code :)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:Thanks guys. I'm really glad that people are digging this so much. I've actually got it looking and feeling even better in the version that I'm working on where the items behave in a much more intuitive fashion when submerged. The amusing part is that this largely involved greatly simplifying the code :)
It's your passion for this that we love mate. You really have a nack for this. It's probably a lot easier that you HAVEN'T made this as your own game as you would spend so much time only working on all the infrastructure and core functionality code rather than getting down to the actual content. You also have a pretty dedicated audience that is pretty hard to alienate (People get into BTW for the mechanics and feel you add to it same as with Minecraft itself. I think people are feeling a bit alienated with vMC because Mojang are adding new content which is completely changing the mechanics of it without thinking if they SHOULD add it).

Keep up the good work! I'm always excited to see a new update from you.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
angra_mania

Post by angra_mania »

I must be cursed or something since this is the second time a change has broken my automatic breeding/wheat farm while i was in the process of making it. Luckily i didn't put in the water flow yet and after an hour or two trying convulated ways to get the water flows to work, I discovered I could just get rid of them all together and compress the design as well.

Probably not the intended effect. :)

Anyway, having another way to sort items is good in my book.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote:It's probably a lot easier that you HAVEN'T made this as your own game as you would spend so much time only working on all the infrastructure and core functionality code rather than getting down to the actual content.
Yup, I realized this awhile ago actually. Me modding instead of creating a game for scratch is better for everyone involved in every way except with regards to my personal finances.

I get to do more what I enjoy, because I'd rather be working on content than on infrastructure. So, I'm happier and more productive as a result.

Players are better off because it means I can give them more and better content than if I were dividing my efforts like that. The average quality is improved because whereas I am good at infrastructure coding, working on gameplay features is really what my particular skill-set excels at, because the infrastructure part does not at all tap into my skills as a game designer.

So yeah, it's unfortunate that modding isn't really recognized as any kind of professional endeavor, because it's obviously what I am best suited to, and what players get the most benefit out of.

With regards to people occasionally hoping that I create my own game: be careful what you wish for. It would probably just mean that you'd get a lot less of the kind of content that you enjoy, and I wouldn't be having as much fun either. I'd just have a bit more cash.