World-gen sustainable Sulfur

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
utakataJ6

World-gen sustainable Sulfur

Post by utakataJ6 »

This isn't exactly a suggestion, somewhat an "I'm going to do this in Mediate and I welcome you to implement it yourself."

In the real world, pyrite, or fool's gold, is often mistaken for gold. Currently I have edited the ore classes so that gold ore sometimes drops pyrite instead of gold. Pyrite could be smelted in a crucible for a high yield of sulfur, or at least I intend to do so just as soon as I have a proper point for sulfur.

No one's worldgen is fucked this way either, as already-existing gold blocks would suddenly drop pyrite.

Why am I posting this when BTW edits to blockOre would fuck me pretty badly? I'm a BTW player first, I guess.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
DxPanxD

Re: World-gen sustainable Sulfur

Post by DxPanxD »

Interesting, it'd make silk touch/fortune picks useful on gold blocks. He's mentioned needing a sulfur source recently as well. Although he may have other plans for it already.

FlowerChild wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:Now just hydroxylate the sodium of the guanidinium and we have a potential salt source. I think i see where this is going now based on past discussions about magic.
Actually, no, I have an entirely different source already planned for regular salt. Salt Peter is something else though, as it opens the door to player-created gunpowder, and potentially other explosives (like salt peter mixed with sugar makes a highly effective smoke bomb). All that's missing is a source of sulfur.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I think your implementation/your suggested implementation might have the same issue as flint. People would just dig up all their gold ore and stack it up and break it over and over again until they got all pyrite (if it's something they want). Not a terrible thing of course, but worth considering how players would handle this, and that it wouldn't be all that much fun. I suspect that's partly why the wicker filter splitting gravel was put in place by FC.

An alternative would be to have gold ore in world gen drop another item/block which can't be re-broken to pyrite.
johnt

Post by johnt »

You could make it so that it only turns to pyrite when smelting.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Mason11987 wrote:I think your implementation/your suggested implementation might have the same issue as flint. People would just dig up all their gold ore and stack it up and break it over and over again until they got all pyrite (if it's something they want). Not a terrible thing of course, but worth considering how players would handle this, and that it wouldn't be all that much fun. I suspect that's partly why the wicker filter splitting gravel was put in place by FC.

An alternative would be to have gold ore in world gen drop another item/block which can't be re-broken to pyrite.
Oh, wow, that's actually really easy to do in mediate, since I have those gold chunks already. I'll credit you for this idea.

However, we just left the realm of suggestion and lost usefulness for BTW, so I'm now requesting a lock.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)