[Closed] It takes a Village [World Download]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Rianaru

Re: [4.20] [Friendly] It takes a Village

Post by Rianaru »

I'm surprised that it didn't exist before, but auto-kiln is finished and should be connected to a new auto-pottery tonight if I'm still sober enough to work on it ;)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Balavac

Post by Balavac »

We need more active players... Where is everybody???
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I was on a few times last night and over two days I've built a full auto kiln and a full auto soul urn maker. Although I've only seen two or three people on at any given time while I was on, so I get your point.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Rigaudon

Post by Rigaudon »

I'm on Frequently. At the time, I have other issues going on in my life, including work. So not many chances for me during the day. One of the good things about working for the government, Never have to work past 7:30.
Aradanwen II

Post by Aradanwen II »

hello im aradanwen i would like to join this server,

Ingame name:aradanwen
Goal for your initial contribution to the city: aethestic building/rail improvement
What would you like to see included? loads of infrastructure and public buildings
Steve learns the same way he learns everything else: via maddeningly painful bursts of possibly psychic, definitely psychotic inspiration.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Is the server down? I cannot get on, whatever I try.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Destructo

Post by Destructo »

The great randomo wrote:Is the server down? I cannot get on, whatever I try.
I can't get in too, so it is probably down
Balavac

Post by Balavac »

it's been down since yesterday...
to the people building in moonracer's town.. I made a big building (the only one with a windmill there) and I was thinking of putting all of the tech stuff there so we don't ruin the aesthetics of the town... there's mills, an anvil, stewing pot and a crucible there (bellows can be turned on and off)... feel free to add anything or build any automated stuff there =)
moonracer

Post by moonracer »

Yeah, the server will probably be back up tonight when Marasambala gets back from camping. no big deal.

Balavac (and others), that building is a little big for the town design as is (though the tech is needed). Can any future expansions and tech go underground? I've sent power to the metal smith basement for a heated stewing pot and crucible and will try to put together a pottery house next door.

There is a pretty substantial amount of underground development going on under that town so feel free to expand on that with less aesthetic/scale limitations.

If anyone is good at making nice castles? I started one in the center of the town and it looks like a big blocky blaness of suck.
Balavac

Post by Balavac »

Yeah, I rushed that one without asking... I'll try and remake it to be just a windmill, but a lot of work will go to waste..
You should check out some wall designs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdev279KkV0 ;)), then we can make it a project =D
Rigaudon

Post by Rigaudon »

Ever Since someone built a bunch of BTW stuff in the Nether, the server crashes a LOT when someone enters the nether now. I'll be removing it all later and putting it in a chest
moonracer

Post by moonracer »

Balavac wrote:Yeah, I rushed that one without asking... I'll try and remake it to be just a windmill, but a lot of work will go to waste..
You should check out some wall designs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdev279KkV0 ;)), then we can make it a project =D
I think if it has some trim and exterior polish it will be fine. I just saw the two 4 wide staircase entrances and got a little worried that it would overwhelm the area if it kept growing.

Those wall designs look great! Though you'd need a huge building to utilize them.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Aradanwen II wrote:hello im aradanwen i would like to join this server,

Ingame name:aradanwen
Goal for your initial contribution to the city: aethestic building/rail improvement
What would you like to see included? loads of infrastructure and public buildings
We do seem to be leaning more and more in the aesthetic direction. Rails appear to be an ongoing project. It will be good to have you on board.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

Ingame name: Beschaulichkeit

Goal for your initial contribution to the city: I would like to work on building up housing for the villagers and expanding the mines and quarries.

What would you like to see included? I get very excited about large-scale builds that the whole server can be involved in. I am interested in exploring options for castle walls and keeps that work to create a perimeter of safety in a very dramatic way.

The source of my interest is a frustration with my current anarchy play, and therefore an interest in getting back into co-op play, and a desire to contribute to a world with the goal to create a villager metropolis. This goal has been a point of interest for me for quite some time and, in fact, a recent SSP world I worked on was a desert village that I expanded, house by house.

It sounds like there is a serious core of players on this server and I'd like to join the ranks and see what we can build together.
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
Rigaudon

Post by Rigaudon »

StarsintheSky wrote:Ingame name: Beschaulichkeit

Goal for your initial contribution to the city: I would like to work on building up housing for the villagers and expanding the mines and quarries.

Sadat_X has that done. It's... It's amazing. But yes, I would like to see more housing, lately people keep branching off.. Suppose I could build some standardized houses.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

StarsintheSky wrote:Ingame name: Beschaulichkeit

Goal for your initial contribution to the city: I would like to work on building up housing for the villagers
I think we're finally to a point where this is starting to happen. A couple of us are still slowly improving on the spawn, and we have another city going up nearby with a little better planning.

added...
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

IGN: Odra

goal: i just like to build things that look pretty, have a purpose, or better yet, both! im all about construction, team work, and large build's. building a big town sounds right up my ally.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

odranoel wrote:IGN: Odra

goal: i just like to build things that look pretty, have a purpose, or better yet, both! im all about construction, team work, and large build's. building a big town sounds right up my ally.
I'm happy to see you say you want to incorporate both aesthetic and purpose. I'm trying to keep our focus on aesthetic and purpose. Keep in mind large town means many small buildings ;) I look forward to seeing what you can do.

Added Odra
Last edited by Marasambala on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Marasambala wrote:I'm trying to keep our focus on aesthetic and purpose. Keep in mind large town means many small buildings ;)
Just a little nudge for everyone who's active on the server. The intent of It Takes a Village was and is to develop a city incorportating BTW tech and keeping Testificates alive at the same time. Moonracer has managed to hit my vision on the head. At the same time, if you want to build BIG and super-automated bases, go ahead and move out away from our main towns.

I'm really pleased with the way the community is developing. Everyone appears to be happy sharing resources and helping each other out.

Thanks and have fun.

Edit: Latest update will happen early this evening, per usual.
Last edited by Marasambala on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonracer

Post by moonracer »

Just so everyone knows,
I've been trying to straighten up the nether a bit lately. Building very long 3 block wide paths in all four directions and placing portals at decent intervals. I've placed iron doors at each path access to help keep the main Nether room secure in case someone angers the zombie pigmen. We might think of trying to keep that area a secure location (maybe add a proper storage area also)? I've started making an upside down "L" with cobble or stone brick at crossroads to point the direction on the path back to the Spawn Town portal (so people know). I'll try to use the portals to get some idea of compass orientation in the nether and mark the doors.

Feel free to expand or branch off the nether paths and explore the portals/make new ones. I've made two so far and they both have access to mine shafts, so maybe a group adventure to mine and harvest rails in our future? Be sure to label portals with biome info for future explorers and mark paths to interesting sites.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Updated to 4.21

Have fun with the Enderjerks :D
The great randomo

Re: [4.21] [Friendly] It takes a Village

Post by The great randomo »

Since people keep asking, it was me who built the giant semi-sphere in the sky ;)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Hey guys,
Just a simple FYI on a couple of things.

- I'm going to be changing hosts this week, which means a new IP.

- I'm having issues with limited bandwidth(personal) at the moment, making SMP unplayable for me, so you probably won't see me on as much, but I'm still around.
bwyw

Post by bwyw »

IGN: smirks

goal: I'm horrible at designing pretty builds, but I love automating. Would help with some of the more esoteric farms (slimes, endermen) and provide resources for the designers!
moonracer

Post by moonracer »

Moontown is secure enough for villagers now. Marasambala, you can release them when you get your connection back in working order. I've put fences down to keep them out of trouble (town entrances and undomesticated cave areas mostly). MOB spawns seem pretty under control and there is a good amount of housing right now.