The Vampire plotting begins...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Panda

The Vampire plotting begins...

Post by Panda »

Been plotting out a possible project for a mod, but i want feedback, heres what i got so far:

Vampire addon:

-Obviously you burn to death in sunlight, sparkles are for pussies
-testificions always run from you
-normal food poisons you
-right clicking empty handed drains blood of mobs and does damage
-blood particle effect of course
-if you blood bar is fuller than 3 you can run faster and jump higher
-testificions replenish 5 hearts, animals 2
-you have a blood bar instead of a hunger bar simple enough
-later on a mechanical blood extractor and bottler
Never say no to Panda.
The_Ender_lord

Re: The Vampire plotting begins...

Post by The_Ender_lord »

YES. Yes yes yes yes yes fucking hell YES. MASSIVE WANT.
You get the idea
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Sounds good. Maybe add in a hat for daywalking purposes...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Horizon wrote:Sounds good. Maybe add in a hat for daywalking purposes...
nope
Never say no to Panda.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Pretty cool idea.

One issue: this would necessitate editing of the EntitiyPlayer class, which BTW edits; it will be incompatible.
Kind of a problem when it is intended to be an addon.

EDIT: Is this a BTW addon? If so, the above applies, if not, it cannot be discussed on these forums. You should make that clearer.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Panda

Post by Panda »

its a addon
Never say no to Panda.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Here's my question: how will standard hostile mobs react to you?
Since you're being somewhat restricted to going out at night, there's obviously increased difficulties with hostile mobs. This is part of the challenge, surely, but it might be interesting if zombies and skeletons start out neutral to you, like pigmen in the nether. After all, you are fellow undead.

Also, I think it's obvious that a vampire won't be using the bed. A new item, the coffin, could be something that lets you sleep through the day.

Finally, a few other decorative blocks to let you get the appropriate horror film set might be nice. Perhaps even an easy recipe for cobwebs.

I like it and would totally start a new world to play vampiric overlord in.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Panda

Post by Panda »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Here's my question: how will standard hostile mobs react to you?
Since you're being somewhat restricted to going out at night, there's obviously increased difficulties with hostile mobs. This is part of the challenge, surely, but it might be interesting if zombies and skeletons start out neutral to you, like pigmen in the nether. After all, you are fellow undead.

Also, I think it's obvious that a vampire won't be using the bed. A new item, the coffin, could be something that lets you sleep through the day.

Finally, a few other decorative blocks to let you get the appropriate horror film set might be nice. Perhaps even an easy recipe for cobwebs.

I like it and would totally start a new world to play vampiric overlord in.
Whats wrong with our current decorational blocks? i thought about replacing the bed texture with a coffin texture, and making it so you can lay in it anytime, but it does nothing.... except you lay in it.
Lets face it its a hard life as a vampire, why should creeper skellies and zombies be nice..?
Never say no to Panda.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Or disallow the character from using beds all together, adding the coffin as a bed-like item that allows sleep during daytime.

I do like the idea though, I'd give it a go. Dracula's castle with windmills, what up.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

I wonder, would a potion of fire resistance protect you from the sun at all?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Horizon wrote:I wonder, would a potion of fire resistance protect you from the sun at all?
You could try throwing a fire resist splash potion on a zombie and see if it can survive in sunlight.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

It does. Until the potion wears off, and he goes back to being bbq'd
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

No reason a coffin shouldn't let you skip the daylight if it took panels and an anvil to craft one. Most of the reason I use a bed at all is to skip the night when there's nothing much to do outside.
Better is the enemy of Good
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Sounds great! I would love to play it :)

On a side note, is there an issue with using a version of the code for mobs burning in daylight for the player? Or are there problems with that?

There was a challenge mode that also had the player limited to night time, and that was the only thing that kept me in vMC until I found BTW. I was thinking of putting it into code recently, but I have a very limited experience with java and even less with nodding minecraft, so I was just wondering if a simple copy/paste is possible.

This isn't an advertisement by the way. That would be rude, and I don't even know if I could do it anyways, so I don't really have a plan for releasing whatever sloppy coding job I could come up with
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Panda wrote: Whats wrong with our current decorational blocks? i thought about replacing the bed texture with a coffin texture, and making it so you can lay in it anytime, but it does nothing.... except you lay in it.
Lets face it its a hard life as a vampire, why should creeper skellies and zombies be nice..?
The coffin at the very least. And I was just thinking of a few horror movie set pieces like a tombstone.

The suggested changes in mob behavior were to make things a little simpler, but also to give a slightly different gameplay feel to the mobs. Having the zombies and skellies not attack unless you makes the night feel different, gives you a sense of belonging. And it's still dangerous, as the creepers and spiders still attack.

But really, I think the only necessary thing is a coffin that works like a day-bed. For style.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

This mod sounds like it could be lots of fun. I am very curious about it.
  • Will the player take damage from potions of regeneration and potions of healing? Will the player be healed by potions of poison and potions of harming?
    What effect will the Spider's poison ability have on the player?
    Will the player be able to drown?
    What special powers does the player possess?
    Will the player be able to shapeshift into a bat?
    Will fire do extra damage to the player?
    Will the player have a shadow?
    Can the player die from an empty blood bar?
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Spoiler
Show
jecowa wrote:This mod sounds like it could be lots of fun. I am very curious about it.
  • Will the player take damage from potions of regeneration and potions of healing? Will the player be healed by potions of poison and potions of harming?
I like your thinking :D I also had an image of a vampire spider jockey... but that's just a bit of silliness, really :p

I have a similar list, but mostly SMP related:
- will it be SMP compatible?
- if so, how do you "become" a vampire or is it the default?
- is there a cure?
- what weapons will Human Steves have against their Vampiric neighbours? (Crucifix Crossbow, Van Helsing style? ;D Holy Water?)
- will any Wolves really REALLY hate them?

This one is more of a long shot, but I had an image of the seat of the vampires' power somehow corrupting the nearby landscape...
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

jecowa wrote:This mod sounds like it could be lots of fun. I am very curious about it.

Don' know much about coding but logicwise "Will the player be able to shapeshift into a bat?" sounds impossible
and "Will the player have a shadow?" is only asthetics.

BTW zombes and skellis are undead and drown ;)

But I like the Idea of fantasy especially the blood thing and the new coming challenge.
Try getting cows about 500 blocks if you are attacked by enemys :D
Good Idea Panda.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Panda

Post by Panda »

• Will the player take damage from potions of regeneration and potions of healing? in the future yes. Will the player be healed by potions of poison and potions of harming? nope
    What effect will the Spider's poison ability have on the player? same
    Will the player be able to drown? yes
    What special powers does the player possess? burning in sunlight
    Will the player be able to shapeshift into a bat? ...why?
    Will fire do extra damage to the player? nope
    Will the player have a shadow? .....does it mater?
    Can the player die from an empty blood bar? yep
I think alot of people are taking the idea and going; 'ok well your a vampire and have negitives so lets give you some more positives and make it a equally easy and essentially the flip flop of being human'.
I really wanna make you think about avoiding the sun, the onle reason im giving him a physical boost is to give you a chance to escape the sun in certain situations.
Never say no to Panda.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

With wolves being essential to BTW, if wolves were to dislike vampires that would be a huge negative :p but there should be a way to overcome this... perhaps a whip? Or chains? I dunno, something that actively oppresses the wolves that hate you so.
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

I just read through Vampire: The Masquerade again, and I've had a few ideas. None of them are any good, however, and I just felt like mentioning Vampire: The Masquerade, in case it would give you ideas as well.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

In the game Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, a vampire doesn't need blood to live, but his health won't regenerate if his blood bar is empty. Conversely, when his blood bar is full, he regenerates health over time, but he isn't able to use his undead vampire powers.

The reasoning they give is that vampires are sort of between living and dead. Drinking blood makes them more alive. And a lack of blood makes them more undead. Corresponding to this, In some works drinking blood makes the vampire more youthful in appearance.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

jecowa wrote:In the game Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, a vampire doesn't need blood to live, but his health won't regenerate if his blood bar is empty. Conversely, when his blood bar is full, he regenerates health over time, but he isn't able to use his undead vampire powers.

The reasoning they give is that vampires are sort of between living and dead. Drinking blood makes them more alive. And a lack of blood makes them more undead. Corresponding to this, In some works drinking blood makes the vampire more youthful in appearance.
Can you tell me where the difference between this and the foodbar is ?
Its like oonly using new textre for it so :D
I like pandas orignial idea hat you die if you don't drink

Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Just like with the foodbar on Hard mode, or what?
I would make it so: If the Bloodbar is down, every lightsource will hurt you.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Elevatator wrote:Just like with the foodbar on Hard mode, or what?
I would make it so: If the Bloodbar is down, every lightsource will hurt you.
I like the point, so nobody tries to light up whole areas out there