How BTW changes you

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Nerdasaurus_Rex

How BTW changes you

Post by Nerdasaurus_Rex »

Hey, I was wondering, how does Better than Wolves change your Minecraft mentality? I'll start:
Me when I find Diamonds: "Oh, cool."
Me when I find Clay: "Awww yeah!"
:P
At one point I thought that the world was perfect.
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
Kazuya Mishima

Re: How BTW changes you

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

When i need something like wheat or wood i feel like i'm cheating myself by MANUALLY collecting it. BTW makes me want to automate everything. There was this point between being desperate for hemp fiber and then suddenly getting an automated farm with a elevator delivery system that was producing stacks of the fiber. I was quite euphoric going from total impoverishment for 1 needed resource to the point where i leave rope blocks around because i no longer need to care about making more.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Update minecraft? Why the hell not. Look about, decide to build home, and think "Yeah, that mountain looks like a great place to start a windmill farm, and I gotta get some water moved over here, hemp time! Oh...." I come to rely on the tech tree to play minecraft, if it isn't BTW, then it just isn't right.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

Vanilla 50 block tall piston based mob grinder+BTW saws and hoppers=35 stacks of rotten flesh in 3 hours.

I drool at the sight of clay and sometimes completely ignore diamonds.
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Salmonella

Post by Salmonella »

In VMC, I get upset when I see people mindlessly killing villagers because they "look funny". It's dumb in VMC, there's no point in it.

However, in BTW, when I see a village, I usually kill off all but two or three villagers and lock them up for breeding purposes.
DocHussey wrote:More phallic worship, sheep style.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

The first few diamonds I find usually go into a diamond hoe to kick-start my hemp production. Before BTW it always was a sword first followed by a diamond pick. When playing vMC I wouldn't even consider wasting diamonds on anything else.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I play.

Seriously, vanilla MC is the kind of thing that would have kept my interest for 2, 3 weeks tops. I built my version of fallingwater on a forested hill, got enough diamonds, and all I had to look forward to was collecting more resources to build larger houses to house... nothing really. I put it way.

three months later, I hear 1.0 is out. So I check it out. It was OK, but I got bored in less than a week. Then I decide to see what mods can do for me. I lucked out in the I had heard of BTW from a friend, and it was the first one I checked out.

BTW completes minecraft for me. There's not only more stuff to do, but each thing I do leads to more things to do. I've actually got megaprojects that need doing. I've got something to do between "hunt for survival" and "build a megalopolis" and I've got reasons to actually build large structures. I haven't even touched half the features, because each little system can occupy weeks of my time. Without BTW, I get bored fast. With BTW, I keep coming back.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

What's a vanilla minecraft?
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:What's a vanilla minecraft?
It's like chocolate MC, but with another flavour instead.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I've got something to do between "hunt for survival" and "build a megalopolis" and I've got reasons to actually build large structures. I haven't even touched half the features, because each little system can occupy weeks of my time. Without BTW, I get bored fast. With BTW, I keep coming back.
This. So much this.
Before BTW, Minecraft was mostly mining stuff, then building useless structures. After an almost empty castle levitating above a lava lake, a below-sea railway system leading to nowhere, a rather useless redstone computer in my backyard and a mobtrap I built simply for the sake of having built one, vMC singleplayer was pretty dead to me, as all my efforts always seemed fruitless.
With BTW, I have reasons to expand my base, and rewards for engineering complex structures.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Playing Vanilla Minecraft is like eating ice cream. But instead of ice cream you just eat snow, without taste. In the last updates, the snow got more and more yellow.
But in Btw, it seems that there are more different ice cream flavours than you can try in some days. And each of it tastes well combined with an other flavour.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Nerdasaurus_Rex

TheAnarchitect wrote:I play.
-snip-
Its, its so true!
Another thing that changed for me is that I used to play the snapshots, now I just play BTW because it's updated more often. Also, the stuff added in BTW is cooler than the stuff being added by Mojang. Here's a conversation I can see between FC and Jeb:

FC: "This week I added water pumps and removed the nonsensical bucket dynamics. I also made weapons and armor that are forged from the souls of the damned in a super-heated crucible. Oh, and I added genetics to sheep..."
Jeb: '... I added pie."

Go BTW!
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

You know your done with vMC when you have giant obsidian and end stone shrine centered around the Dragon egg in your back yard
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

No. I couldn't even bother with the end in vanilla. It wasn't interesting enough.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
TSA

Post by TSA »

well i ''played'' vanilla minecraft for almost 6 months...

then i found out that there were no point into it besides building and mining... MINE BUILD should be the name.

I played on-line and the fever stroke again and I stayed till mid summer when i discovered BTW (about Beta 1.4/ 1.5)

I felt in love since the beginning and school started and the fever went away. BUT the sparkle inside me just did not wanted to die. And begun to play minecraft more deeply.

Oh well. I cant even play vanilla any more it just doesn't seem right. Everything in vanilla is point less.
You start with nothing and 5 minutes later you have a iron pickaxe, 10 minutes after that you have a diamond pickaxe.

After that you just plant a lot of wheat and go mining.

when you are almost dead just harvest the wheat and you are ready for minecraft.

I got to say that i loved the early minecraft days where it was scary and stuff.
Now the newcomers to minecraft plant a bed on the floor and don't even feel the fear of the first night!

Ah, good times...

How BTW change minecraft?
A lot!
To better of course. Still wondering how great a hardcore bed would be.

Its more interesting, more realistic and more entertaining. Beside the fact that allow us to think! To think in something like ''Why is a ghast floating outside my house?'' or ''How the F*** redstone works?''
LunaticToad
Nerdasaurus_Rex

TheAnarchitect wrote:No. I couldn't even bother with the end in vanilla. It wasn't interesting enough.
So very true... I think someone (preferably Notch, since he's the one that screwed it up) should do more with the end. There's absolutely 0 point in going there. It would have been cooler if he had kept the old skylands generator, instead of replacing it with 2 types of blocks and an assload of endermen. Besides, Minecraft doesn't need and end, it's a game based off of creativity. I think that having and end goal with an end story just ruins it. With BTW, there's an even better, harder to reach goal: an automated everything machine. With the end, you kill a pile of endermen, kill a pile of blazes, find a stronghold, and then boom, you're in the end. With the BTW goal, you need to be ingenious, know redstone, have huge piles of recources, and know how to use it all together.

Anyway, in short:
if ((End == boring) & (BTW == awesome))
{
givesHighFive(reader);
}

Oh, and on topic:
Spoiler
Show
Me if I can access the end: "meh"
Me when I make a windmill:
edit: fixed my code, you don't need to define a predefined object when calling one of it's methods. :P
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

TheAnarchitect wrote:No. I couldn't even bother with the end in vanilla. It wasn't interesting enough.
Same could be said about vanilla nether.