Coming from Technic

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
PatriotBob

Coming from Technic

Post by PatriotBob »

I've played the Technic Pack for quite some time now, host a server and have been browsing their forums and had to come over here to see who this "Dung Princess" person is, and why no one likes him or his mod. So I can, I've read your forums, I've installed your mod and played it. This way I can go back to the vastly superior mod pack that is Technic and tell them in intricate detail how bad everything is.

Holy
Zues'
Bum-hole.

This mod is amazing.

This is what Minecraft should have been. The polish and cohesiveness of this mod is fantastic. Everything fits. It's balanced. There's dark humor everywhere. There's focus on going to the Nether. Changes are made intelligently, design is thought-out and a large-scope direction is followed.

Flower Child, my hat is off to you good sir.

I will be looking to move my server from Tekkit to BTW.

The only thing I miss is the launcher, cause users be dumb.
(And RedPower cause the tubes/sorting is well coded and doesn't have as terrible power creep of IC2, EE, etc but hey, hoppers + screw pumps)

From another professional programmer,
Flower Child, well done.
Gormador

Re: Coming from Technic

Post by Gormador »

Ouch, that's generally not a good way to start down here... Because what's at stake is not the mods you used to use, but HOW you used to use them. Technic is a name that shouldn't be written on this forum as everything that it refers to is evil. The bad kind of evil mind you.

However you seem to be a perfectly reasonable person. Thus this question : why the hell did you had to use Technic as you seem to posses the knowledge to mod your jar on your own ? This is pure rhetoric of course : I don't want to start that debate again, it just bugs me every time...

Anyway, if your stay is confirmed let me wish you welcome to this forum. The path to redemption will be long and tortuous. *evil laugh*
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Hey Hey. Don't bash the guy too hard for his past mistakes. He's seen the error of his ways and is coming over from the dark side.

Welcome to the forums, and to the mod.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I think this is great... If all tekkit players actually took the time to see the mod before going all "hur durr btw sucks dung harharhar", I'm sure most of them would see what a horrible mess that thing is and leave it for something so much better.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

*woot* :D just curious, will you be popping back to the Technic forums to inform them you've gone native? I'd like to see how this pans out xD

@Gormador PatriotBob is perfectly capable of modding a jar... however the people on his server are not >_<
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Oh I'm not bashing. And if I sound like I am, then I'm sorry. Don't take my previous post too literally ;-) (except the Technic part, of course)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Yeah, I can mod a jar. (Or hell... compiled native exe if needed... :P)

It's more when you host a server, you can't really mod everyone's jar for them. Sure I could host a download for it, but the violates the Terms of Use. I'd rather not do that.

I under stand that the name "Technic" here is probably about as terrible as mentioning BTW in the Technic forums. But I thought I would risk it knowingly to emphasize the point.

And the reason I was hosted that mod pack is because previously I was running a Bukkit server with a custom mod set. Nightmare when it came time to upgrade. On the bright side, nothing works with BTW so there's only it and ModLoader to patch in. Again anything done publicly needs to be dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator.

I really hope vanilla's mod API will allow minecraft to support per-server minecraft installs and mod distribution/patching on server connect. That would make running a server a breeze. But heh, who am I kidding right... it won't happen.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...is the Technic crowd still beating that dead horse? Thanks for filling me in on the meaning behind "DP". That was popping up on BTW-related Youtube videos here and there, and the only thought that crossed my mind about it was "What? Did I fuck you in both ends?" ;)

Exceedingly poor choices of acronyms aside, that crowd wouldn't hate me so much if the mod wasn't good. They're still throwing a temper tantrum for me being the first guy to have gotten publicly pissed about it when they included BTW in the pack without my permission, whatever revisionist history they've put in place about it now.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words, and glad you're getting so much enjoyment out of the mod :)
Charzy

Post by Charzy »

Yeah, certain technic fans go absolutely batshit whenever a mod author asks for their mod removed. SirSengir gets an ungodly amount of hate, for example.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Charzy wrote:Yeah, certain technic fans go absolutely batshit whenever a mod author asks for their mod removed. SirSengir gets an ungodly amount of hate, for example.
Ah, the "Bees Of Wrath" incident. It was hilarious.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

jorgebonafe wrote:I think this is great... If all tekkit players actually took the time to see the mod before going all "hur durr btw sucks dung harharhar", I'm sure most of them would see what a horrible mess that thing is and leave it for something so much better.
I agree with you at first, but then I remember the level of stupidity I've seen in humans and I'm depressed to think that some might not.
Any new recruits possible are great though, we're glad to have you, Patriot Bob.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
devak

Post by devak »

PatriotBob wrote: This mod is amazing.

Yea, welcome to the Dark Side.

:D
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Glad you decided to try it out, instead of just hearing other complaints about it. Even more glad that you have decided to stick around and keep BTW. I always find it entertaining when someone from Technic/tekkit (and what the fuck is the difference?) come over to BTW and praise it for keeping balance.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Technic/tekkit (and what the fuck is the difference?)
As far as I know, Technic is the SSP modpack, and tekkit is the server modpack using bukkit.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

darahalian wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:Technic/tekkit (and what the fuck is the difference?)
As far as I know, Technic is the SSP modpack, and tekkit is the server modpack using bukkit.
Yep that's exactly it. Although when they move to 1.3 I don't think the distinction will be needed any longer.

I appreciate the welcome. And even an appearance from Flower Child, wow. I'd love to sit down and pick his brain for tidbits about the planned Ages of X, direction and how he see's the Mod going after the "official" API releases but... I'd rather him spend his time on actually making the mod, the satisfying my curiosity. Is there a collection of tasty tidbits hiding somewhere?

Back to watching my Nether Wart grow... why is this so slow 2 hours and only 2 of 40 reach full growth?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PatriotBob wrote:I appreciate the welcome. And even an appearance from Flower Child, wow. I'd love to sit down and pick his brain for tidbits about the planned Ages of X, direction and how he see's the Mod going after the "official" API releases but... I'd rather him spend his time on actually making the mod, the satisfying my curiosity. Is there a collection of tasty tidbits hiding somewhere?
Hmmm...I think if you search the forums for "soul anus" it'll still point you towards some of the info I've released as teasers about what's to come.

Other than that, just hang around, as I'm always putting out small hints here and there ;)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

FlowerChild wrote:
PatriotBob wrote:I appreciate the welcome. And even an appearance from Flower Child, wow. I'd love to sit down and pick his brain for tidbits about the planned Ages of X, direction and how he see's the Mod going after the "official" API releases but... I'd rather him spend his time on actually making the mod, the satisfying my curiosity. Is there a collection of tasty tidbits hiding somewhere?
Hmmm...I think if you search the forums for "soul anus" ...
Not sure if serious....

Meh... *searches*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PatriotBob wrote:Not sure if serious....

Meh... *searches*
Yup...indeed I am :)
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Go into the rabbit hole...

or soul anus whatever
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...is the Technic crowd still beating that dead horse? Thanks for filling me in on the meaning behind "DP". That was popping up on BTW-related Youtube videos here and there, and the only thought that crossed my mind about it was "What? Did I fuck you in both ends?" ;)

Exceedingly poor choices of acronyms aside, that crowd wouldn't hate me so much if the mod wasn't good. They're still throwing a temper tantrum for me being the first guy to have gotten publicly pissed about it when they included BTW in the pack without my permission, whatever revisionist history they've put in place about it now.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words, and glad you're getting so much enjoyment out of the mod :)
I've laughed at loud at these forums before, but THIS is priceless. Honestly, you DID fuck them in both ends, and hardly had to raise a finger to do it afaik.

Glad to have you, Patriot.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: Ah, the "Bees Of Wrath" incident. It was hilarious.
Hehe, good times.

Welcome to the forums man. For information tidbits, best thing you can do at the moment is just stick around; FC's on a bit of an update frenzy atm, with lots of goodness coming out of it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Having played some of the mods in the technic pack myself, I can fully understand how you would feel when you suddenly find yourself in btw land.

It's like eating a properly roasted mustard chicken, while being used to eating stuff like Kfc.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:properly roasted mustard chicken
New subtitle for the MCF thread! ;)
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I originally swapped back here off of forge because I found myself racing to the end of their tech trees then becoming bored with nothing to really do. Every time minecraft updated, I'd find myself deleting old worlds because of a glut of ores from various forge products.

BTW helped me rediscover what I'd originally liked about Minecraft, building aesthetically pleasing structures with purpose. I've never been a person who's big on automation, a point on which much of the community and flowerchild in particular differ, mainly because most automation mods take all the fun out of gathering materials for the next building project. I rather enjoy the feeling of coming across a patch of diamonds on my hunt through long stone tunnels. Instead of burning all that stone I find into recyclers, research, magical goop, or diamonds, I'm forced to use it to beautify my world with large complex structures. Although most resources inevitably become renewable, automating the collection of those resources becomes a challenge of engineering rather than merely amassing enough material.

BTW also follows a principle of design for which I'm a huge fan of, nearly every item added with BTW has at least one if not two uses. No more hunting for X copper, Y tin and Z rubber, or digging across half the map to find the right elemental crystal when you can make use of already existing materials and add functionality to what's already there. This ties in especially well to my last, but certainly not least, favorite feature of the mod.

BTW integrates a lot more nicely into the minecraft world than any other large mod I've used. I can attempt to keep my world surface looking natural with wooden and stone buildings, being able to get nearly every material necessary to climb through the tech tree without strip-mining through entire chunks.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
heyz

Post by heyz »

I just wanted to add instead of starting a new thread, I'm thoroughly impressed with this mod.

I was a technic player for a good long while, then they forgot to update it in like forever, so I went back to vanilla to play 1.3. Then I started installing mods that were updated, one at a time, just to see what each involved and offered. I played powercraft, thaumcraft and several others, starting a new world each time, as many mods don't play nice and have new items that need to be there on world generation. Each one I've played though fell kinda flat, they just don't hold up well on their own, or developers are taking time to go in a direction I really don't enjoy (I really don't want to program a computer inside of a computer)

Not so with BTW. So far, it feels like a complete experience with a very defined path. There's nothing that's gamebreaking or ridiculously easy (EE FTL), or nothing that I can't find a use for. And some of the challenges make things really hard, like hardcore buckets - wouldn't have thought that could be so hard or rewarding when it finally works. It feels less like a mod, and more like how the game should be. I also really enjoy the focus on above ground early objectives, craftable with wood and hemp, instead of delving deep to find 20+ diamonds in order to craft the basic mod recipes. The only things I miss deal with crafting automation and item transport, which I'm sure will get implemented soon in a completely original and seamless way.

Kudos FC.