Anyone else read World War Z?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
ServantOMallard

Anyone else read World War Z?

Post by ServantOMallard »

Picked this gem up on friday after my sister recommended it, haven't been able to put it down since. I swear the author must know something we all don't.

Anyway my only problem is, I'm almost done, so any other decent zombie novels I should chek out once I'm done?
I must respectfully decline your request with massive explosions
Donzaffi

Re: Anyone else read World War Z?

Post by Donzaffi »

It seems that I am getting old :(

But can you give me a small teaser about what is this book ?
Have read a plenty of books now and need somehting new, its like I am eating them. So can you give me author ans so on too ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Oral-Hi ... orld+war+z

It always amazes me how many people on the internet don't actually know how to use it ;)
ServantOMallard

I'll let you off Donzaffi, looking back it wasn't the most descriptive post :-P

It's basically a series of eyewitness accounts from different stages of a worldwide zombie outbreak. It really is a great read, highly recommended.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Oral-Hi ... orld+war+z

It always amazes me how many people on the internet don't actually know how to use it ;)
I don't like to read them because they are written with the motivation of selling, I prefer some short lines of someone who read it more that this.
ServantOMallard wrote:I'll let you off Donzaffi, looking back it wasn't the most descriptive post :-P

It's basically a series of eyewitness accounts from different stages of a worldwide zombie outbreak. It really is a great read, highly recommended.
thanks ;)
Are they written in different styles like in the cloud atlas ?
So that it sound more realistc or in the manner that it seems that they are all written by an author (do you know what I mean?)

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Donzaffi wrote: I don't like to read them because they are written with the motivation of selling, I prefer some short lines of someone who read it more that this.
You asked the author name man.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I fucking love World War Z. It's probably one of my favorite books ever. I'm pained immensely having it loaned out to a friend who seems determined not to read it.

And yes, Donzaffi, all the stories have a different voice, since it's a different speaker each time. There's a bit of consistency between them in terms of how they're written exactly, since it is the same journalist/reporter typing them up, but they all have very distinct feels to them.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Donzaffi wrote: I don't like to read them because they are written with the motivation of selling, I prefer some short lines of someone who read it more that this.
You asked the author name man.
ups you are right ^^ I don't having this in mind ^^

ServantOMallard

Finished it last night. Absolutely brilliant. Out of interest whose was your favourite storyline Miss_Kat?
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Ah I haven't read this for a few years, I do remember thoroughly enjoying it (I'm a sucker for zombies) Gotta find a new copy so I can read it again.

Semi-related:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7- ... ickly.html

Interesting read, but a bit sad as well.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

I got this back when it came out, I had the Zombie Survival Handbook (By the same author) and loved it. I recommend getting that as well. If you're looking for good zombie fiction, I really recommend the All-Flesh books. They are compilations of short stories by many different authors, and Amazon has them for quite cheap too.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

ServantOMallard wrote:Finished it last night. Absolutely brilliant. Out of interest whose was your favourite storyline Miss_Kat?
It would definitely have to be the one about the blind, old man. That one was amazing.

How 'bout you?
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Oh man. I read that a few years ago (1? 2? Not sure) while on a camping trip in a swamp. You know, lots of old, twisted trees, and Spanish moss everywhere. The campsite was a slave-trading ground a hundred and fifty years ago, and they used to hang people from the tree my tent was under. I'm dead serious here. That book scared the hell out of me. I spent the next six months sleeping facing the door to my room, so that if a zombie came through it I'd know that much sooner. You remember that in the Zombie Apocalypse thread, I knew exactly what I would do if it happened? That book is why. I'm kinda glad that I read it, because it was certainly interesting, but man. Make sure you're in a well-lit area when you do so. Also make sure you don't have a brother who likes playing pranks in the night.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Thanks to this thread, I have just sunk a few hours into the book. It is great so far.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
ServantOMallard

Miss_Kat wrote: It would definitely have to be the one about the blind, old man. That one was amazing.

How 'bout you?
Yeah, really hit a chord with me with that one. Although mine would have to be the chinese sub crew, just the attention to detail blew me away.
DocHussey wrote:I got this back when it came out, I had the Zombie Survival Handbook (By the same author) and loved it. I recommend getting that as well. If you're looking for good zombie fiction, I really recommend the All-Flesh books. They are compilations of short stories by many different authors, and Amazon has them for quite cheap too.
Thanks, I'll have a look. I've heard many good things about the Survival Handbook but yet to get my hands on a copy, may just have to change that!
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:-awesome stuff-
You are more of a man than I! As I mentioned, I think it's the attention to detail that's the scary thing about it. I know what you mean about the preparation thing, I've spent half the day wondering how easy it would be to barricade the front gate at work :-P
Itamarcu wrote:Thanks to this thread, I have just sunk a few hours into the book. It is great so far.
Glad I could be of use, enjoy!
ServantOMallard

DxPanxD wrote:Ah I haven't read this for a few years, I do remember thoroughly enjoying it (I'm a sucker for zombies) Gotta find a new copy so I can read it again.

Semi-related:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7- ... ickly.html

Interesting read, but a bit sad as well.
Gah, realism sucks...
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Halfway through. The blind Japanese really has a great story.

I love these forums. HPMOR, Project Zomboid, Planetary Annihilation, Castle Story, and now this.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

I kinda liked the mass migration story. It was just haunting when you realized what they did to survive. And how it was an entire community who took part in it.
ServantOMallard

Itamarcu wrote:Halfway through. The blind Japanese really has a great story.

I love these forums. HPMOR, Project Zomboid, Planetary Annihilation, Castle Story, and now this.
Yeah it's a really great story, the fact that he takes the time to bury each and every one.