Fun with Pumps/designs

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Donzaffi

Fun with Pumps/designs

Post by Donzaffi »

Spoiler
Show
I know i could have used planters, but I liked it this way, so it seems like an old aquaduct.
I have build a testifcate village and thought, maybe the village seems more realistic with a water supply.

I love the pump thanks FC to put it in.

What designs have you contructed ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
darahalian

Re: Fun with Pumps/designs

Post by darahalian »

I've come up with what I think is the most compact way to pump water up long vertical distances.

The pumps are arranged in this formation:
Spoiler
Show
Here are some pics of the completed thing:
Spoiler
Show
Image Image Image
This design is easily repeatable as high as you need it to go. As you can see, the mechanical power is simple to extend once you get it sorted out on the bottom.

I also made a cool looking fountain using pumps that is fed by a single source of water that is poured in from above: (i.e. it is totally practical with HCB)
Spoiler
Show
Image Image
Image Image
This is cool, since you can turn it on or off whenever you want by simply cutting/reopening the water flow from above, and since you can power the under ground waterwheel the pumps use with the water that is pouring in, you can have the mechanical power automatically turn off when there is no water to pump.

::Edited to rearrange pics::
Last edited by darahalian on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

Is it ok to post setups made in creative?
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

BrainNoMore wrote:Is it ok to post setups made in creative?
before I make something in my world, I do it in creative to see how it works best.
so Sure, post it

BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

Donzaffi wrote:
BrainNoMore wrote:Is it ok to post setups made in creative?
before I make something in my world, I do it in creative to see how it works best.
so Sure, post it
Yeah, I do the same... but I was unsure...

So this is my first time posting pics here so I hope i don't mess things up
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Nothing revolutionary, just simple and compact. Axles and gearboxes are kinda hard to make out, but since pump design is very simple it isn't hard to just follow. It fits in 7x5 casing. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to come up with this design, but since nobody posted it before me...

edit: yeah I screwed up pics the first time...
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Nice design. Looks similar to the one I posted in the "useful builds" thread yesterday, but I will say your pics may be a little better.
7x5 seems to be the smallest footprint for a stackable pump spiral, at least that I can think of.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

haphazardnuke wrote:Nice design. Looks similar to the one I posted in the "useful builds" thread yesterday, but I will say your pics may be a little better.
7x5 seems to be the smallest footprint for a stackable pump spiral, at least that I can think of.
Yeah i kinda skipped that... sorry... had a lot of things on my mind... but as I already said i was surprised nobody posted it before (now I realize i was wrong). I was checking useful builds occasionally, and once I saw this thread I just assumed anything pump related will be posted here without bothering/remembering to check useful builds one more time.
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

That's all right. It's not like I could copyright it or something ^_^ and besides, there are lots of historical incidents where two independent researchers came up with the same solution.

I like Darahalian's design too. very tidy powertrain. What are the dimensions, including gearboxes?
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

haphazardnuke wrote:That's all right. It's not like I could copyright it or something ^_^ and besides, there are lots of historical incidents where two independent researchers came up with the same solution.

I like Darahalian's design too. very tidy powertrain. What are the dimensions, including gearboxes?
Infinitesimal calculus

But to topic, has anyone yet build a mobtrap based on screw pumps ?

Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

BrainNoMore wrote:
Yeah, I do the same... but I was unsure...

So this is my first time posting pics here so I hope i don't mess things up
Yeah, I made this design in creative when I wast testing the pump after it's release, it's what I intend to use for my pump stack for my base. Made it exactly the same too, with glass :).
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

haphazardnuke wrote:I like Darahalian's design too. very tidy powertrain. What are the dimensions, including gearboxes?
6x4, ignoring extra gearboxes and stuff at the bottom.

The main center column, without any glass or extra gearboxes is 2x2, which turns into 4x4 when you add the glass to keep the water in, and after adding the gearboxes and axles going up opposite sides, one of those dimensions turns into 6.

You could also make the whole thing 6x6 by only having one line of gearboxes and axles going up each side, which might even make sorting out the mech power at the bottom simpler, or it might not. I don't know.

Also, you can extend the glass (or use a different block) to encase the whole central column in a 4x4 tower with gearboxes and axles running up the sides, which I think looks kind of cool:
Spoiler
Show
Image Image Image
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I personally prefer a pump design that I find looks far more reasonable, and which I believe also consumes less resources in terms of Gear Boxes and Axles than some of those above:
Spoiler
Show
It's less compact than some of the other designs, but I find the pros far outweigh the cons. Giving a two block spacing for the water at each level fits the spacing of Gear Boxes so you don't have to get into convoluted layouts for supplying mechanical power to the pumps. This design also allows for transporting the water horizontally at the same time as vertically, since you can space out the individual levels, which avoids having to pump the water higher than really needed to cover any horizontal distance required at the output end. You can also loop this design back on itself to minimize the horizontal space the overall assembly occupies if that's a concern.

I've used the same design in SMP, and I think it's what I'll stick to in the future.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

FlowerChild wrote:I personally prefer a pump design that I find looks far more reasonable, and which I believe also consumes less resources in terms of Gear Boxes and Axles than some of those above:
Spoiler
Show
It's less compact than some of the other designs, but I find the pros far outweigh the cons. Giving a two block spacing for the water at each level fits the spacing of Gear Boxes so you don't have to get into convoluted layouts for supplying mechanical power to the pumps. This design also allows for transporting the water horizontally at the same time as vertically, since you can space out the individual levels, which avoids having to pump the water higher than really needed to cover any horizontal distance required at the output end. You can also loop this design back on itself to minimize the horizontal space the overall assembly occupies if that's a concern.

I've used the same design in SMP, and I think it's what I'll stick to in the future.
Before I saw that pic in release topic I was trying to go with no spacing, then I just copied the design making it spiral :$
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BrainNoMore wrote:Before I saw that pic in release topic I was trying to go with no spacing, then I just copied the design making it spiral :$
Hehe...yeah, I realized after posting the above that your design was a variant on the same thing, just "looped back" like I mentioned above.

I'm finding practical pump design really comes down to the specifics of where your source is, and where you want the output to be. If you don't give yourself enough horizontal travel, you often wind up having to pump higher than really necessary to let the water flow back down to where you actually want it.

So, the above has just become my basic building block, that I then use to construct a solution to the specific problem at hand, by either adjusting the spacing at each level, or looping it around where necessary.

Anyways: that's a good thing IMO. If there was just one general purpose best way to pump water for all situations, then I may as well just have made a single block that pumps water to whatever height you want. If the system requires thinking on the fly and adapting to your situation though, that's optimal from a design standpoint.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

FlowerChild wrote:
BrainNoMore wrote:Anyways: that's a good thing IMO. If there was just one general purpose best way to pump water for all situations, then I may as well just have made a single block that pumps water to whatever height you want. If the system requires thinking on the fly and adapting to your situation though, that's optimal from a design standpoint.
I agree - I haven't played much of MC (read much of BTW) since the update because off all the stuff that was happening in my life... but man oh man do I have plans... I built my windmill on cliff overlooking the bay so I was looking for design which will not throw my windmill in shadow thus this "tower-esque pumping station" will fit perfectly... but i plan dams, desert watering channels, sewers, aqueducts (i know i know they work on different principle (sorry but my english is not good enough) but who gives a f...), it really adds a whole new experience to me :)

before i used to build only one windmill and/or watermill per base because it felt to easy and cheep to build one waterwheel for every structure, so I really like the hc water distribution system :)
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

Sorry for all the ellipsis: it's been a looong time I've been using any forum, and especially one on English.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BrainNoMore wrote:before i used to build only one windmill and/or watermill per base because it felt to easy and cheep to build one waterwheel for every structure, so I really like the hc water distribution system :)
Yup, I hear that. Now it's a real choice between running mechanical power from an existing source, or running water to create a new power source.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Or both. I like running Utilities (It's all those years playing simcity). Part of what I like about the pump is that moving water somewhere also means bringing mechanical power along too. I can set up one power/pumping station and then run an aqueduct to all my different buildings. It's perhaps less efficient than setting up local water/power. But it's also perhaps more fun.
Spoiler
Show
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Or both. I like running Utilities (It's all those years playing simcity). Part of what I like about the pump is that moving water somewhere also means bringing mechanical power along too. I can set up one power/pumping station and then run an aqueduct to all my different buildings. It's perhaps less efficient than setting up local water/power. But it's also perhaps more fun.
Spoiler
Show
Exactly what I have in mind :)
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Or both. I like running Utilities (It's all those years playing simcity). Part of what I like about the pump is that moving water somewhere also means bringing mechanical power along too. I can set up one power/pumping station and then run an aqueduct to all my different buildings. It's perhaps less efficient than setting up local water/power. But it's also perhaps more fun.
Spoiler
Show
Oh god, that's beautiful
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

bmanfoley wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Oh god, that's beautiful
Absolutely gorgeous.... I think I know how my next BTW world is getting water.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

So as my first build in my Survival mega-base I wanted to build a mob trap. I had all the materials prepped but remembered I was using HCB, so my first build would be a pump system for my entire base!

So I did the spiral build mentioned earlier here. I ended up accidentally breaking the stop block on top of the bottom pump while climbing up after getting more supplies and realized the thing worked as is, without any water control:
Spoiler
Show
I'm going to leave this as is to verify it'll sustain itself and if so I may just leave it like this, because it looks pretty cool.
DAGR99

Post by DAGR99 »

Here is a design I quickly cooked up. I was inspired by the Anarchitect's latest and modeled off of a Roman Aqueduct. I built this in creative, but it will be going into my survival ASAP.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Enjoy!

edit: Sorry for uploading the same picture twice.
Last edited by DAGR99 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

DAGR99, I beg of you larger pictures! Very much want to see how you put that together architecturally!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

morvelaira wrote:DAGR99, I beg of you larger pictures! Very much want to see how you put that together architecturally!
Those thumbnails are links, click on them.