New Release! (BTW V4.01)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
nmarshall23

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.01)

Post by nmarshall23 »

Damn you, for the new moldings. Just lost two hours playing with them..

I can't imagine how much work when into the new connected Moulding code. Awesome work.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

nmarshall23 wrote:Damn you, for the new moldings. Just lost two hours playing with them..

I can't imagine how much work when into the new connected Moulding code. Awesome work.
Thank you! Yeah, it was a headache to be sure, but I think the end result is really cool :)

I just realized last night though that I really should have them auto-connect to corners as well, as there's still some situations where you can't get exactly the result you want (mainly "stair step" patterns going over multiple blocks).

Will be sure to add that functionality as well in a future release :)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I too am excited about the new sidings.

I'm beginning to wonder, however, how many headaches we could have saved (both in vanilla and BTW) if Minecraft had just been on a 1/2 meter block standard instead.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote: I'm beginning to wonder, however, how many headaches we could have saved (both in vanilla and BTW) if Minecraft had just been on a 1/2 meter block standard instead.
Performance man. You'd be multiplying the amount of data the game needs to store and process by 8. Not feasible.

It would also mean that all current 1m cubed blocks, which make sense in their current format (take a Mill Stone for example), would be broken down into 4 sub-blocks and wouldn't necessarily be aligned with a grid relative to each other. It would be a huge pain in the ass to code for, which is why multi-block "blocks" (like doors for example) are a rarity in MC.

So no, no headaches would really be saved, and a whole bunch of new ones would be generated.
Indras

Post by Indras »

FlowerChild wrote:Note that old wood blocks of these types (which can be identified by shortened names such as "Moulding" instead of "Oak Moulding") will not mix with the new ones in recipes, and will not stack with the new, but placing then removing the old blocks will correct this problem.
Will the old siding/moulding/corners be removed in a later release to free up the ID? I remember this happened before on pressure plates/boosters after Mojang added powered rails.

Excellent release! I'm very excited! Thank you for the Crucible, moulding, and vine trap changes, you spoil us with these little BTW tweaks!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Indras wrote:Will the old siding/moulding/corners be removed in a later release to free up the ID? I remember this happened before on pressure plates/boosters after Mojang added powered rails.
No, the old id's are still in use for the oak sidings and corners.

Don't ask. It's complicated and the above is why the wooden blocks were a huge pain in the ass (along with all of them being recognized in combination for the same recipes), while the stone brick ones were a breeze.

All those wood blocks basically reference the same items, but I won't get into a further explanation of it as it starts getting technical.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Prettify prettify prettify... This is by far the most addictive thing since crack cocaine. How attached should I get to 4.01....
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:but I won't get into a further explanation of it as it starts getting technical.
Please do :)
I love to read the technical explanations, it helps me get a better understanding of the game :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Please do :)
I love to read the technical explanations, it helps me get a better understanding of the game :)
Nah man, in this case it's just hacky nastiness, nothing that applies to the game in general.

In order to get the wood blocks to share recipes, they basically have to use the same item. Meanwhile though, MC is hardcoded to not render items that aren't actually blocks in 3D, so I couldn't just create an item to handle that. Instead, when the sub-blocks are dropped in item form, I switch them into being other blocks of the same general type (like all colors of moulding become Birch moulding when in item form), then override the rendering of the blocks in item form to make them look like the correct type. This was further complicated by siding and corners sharing the same block IDs.

That way I can basically just say "this recipe uses Birch Moulding", and all wood Moulding types will be useable in it.

It's the kind of thing that is just sometimes necessary when you're working on a mod as opposed to actually writing the game itself, unless you want to drastically alter how the underlying code works.

Anyways, like I said: very hacky, and very specific to this one particular problem, so really there's nothing of value to be learned from it other than that I'd prefer not to have to do that again as it was extremely time consuming and annoying ;)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

O.o Wow FC, and now I understand why you haven't bothered with making the multi colored sidings and such until you did. Props on the sheer amount of epicness it took to get it done.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Yay for new mouldings!
Spoiler
Show
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CycloneSP wrote:O.o Wow FC, and now I understand why you haven't bothered with making the multi colored sidings and such until you did.
No, that's not the reason. The reason was the 6 block IDs that needed to be used in order to do it. I really would have preferred to wait until the extended block IDs were made available by Mojang before implementing that feature, but in the end decided that things just felt too weird without them to wait that long.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Can I just add my thanks for the wood and stone brick siding, moulding, etc. and for the moulding connectivity. Tidying up my builds feels very satisfying and it allows for a couple of things I was designing that would not otherwise have been possible. With this and the corner stairs Mojang appears to be producing (assuming they will work in the way I want them too) my new floating town will be great.
tedium

Post by tedium »

hehe, you certainly just gave me a hardcore bone.

my only problem is that thanks to the new mouldings system, i'm going to have to re-evaluate my whole style of architecture... i can't wait! =D thanks FC!!
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

When i saw that you can use bonemeal on hemp i thought. Damn... this sux...
But when i saw that hardcore bone is also added i thought. Hehehe... He wouldnt be FC if he didnt do that :D
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Just noticed "-Changed Wool & Dirt slabs to handle light opacity in the same way as vanilla slabs." in game.

Hate the lighting issue with upside down slabs. Still, a small price to pay for the rest of the additions.
Spoiler
Show
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Sage

Post by Sage »

DxPanxD wrote:Just noticed "-Changed Wool & Dirt slabs to handle light opacity in the same way as vanilla slabs." in game.

Hate the lighting issue with upside down slabs. Still, a small price to pay for the rest of the additions.
Spoiler
Show
If you have space to put a torch (or every other light source) on top of the wool slab, they should light up.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

I'd hoped to avoid tweaking the shape of the default villager church too much, but I suppose they won't mind if it's a block or two taller.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.