New Release! (BTW V4.0)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
foreman

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.0)

Post by foreman »

FC, you're just awesome... Thank-you for all your hard work.

I only wish I wasn't moving to a place that only has dial-up next month. *shudders*
****** Server Installation Instructions ******
-snip-
8) Receive heaps of praise from the players on your server for installing BTW, and laugh maniacally as you ban dissenters.
I got a good laugh off that in the read-me.
TheThievingMonkey

Post by TheThievingMonkey »

YES! Thanks a ton FlowerChild, you have been putting a lot of effort in the mod with all this releases, and this one in special must have been hell to get ready. I showed Better than Wolves to my friends a week ago, and we were waiting for this release to put it on our server. SMP is always awesome, but I missed too much the mod while playing.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

omg it is so awesome :D Damn thanks and i know that thats not enough. Ill donate when ill be able to :))) damn btw smp. EPIC!#$ I cant still believe it :D damn so awesome~!@
epicGHO5T

Post by epicGHO5T »

Hey FlowerChild!
I'm pretty new to the BTW community/BTW mod, but I know that this release is not only a big deal for you, but the tons of other people who play Better Than Wolves as well (including me! :D). Congrats, and thanks for all of the updates and one great mod!
Thanks again, and hope to see more of these awesome updates in the future! :D
Check out my channel!
www.youtube.com/epicGHO5T
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

SterlingRed wrote: Forge was actually updated to 1.3.2 two weeks ago. The major mods using it however, have yet to update.
When it only took FC one week to get to 1.3 support, it still counts.
Better is the enemy of Good
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

There aren't Enough words in enough languages to say thank you for this.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

Wow, you actually did it... I knew you would eventually, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. I'm guessing it came now because of the sp/lan merge making it easier?

Anyway, kudos to you for bringing Multiplayer to an awesome mod.

One question though, does it only require the serverside download? Or does each player have to have it installed?

I wonder how many of the people here will be setting up servers...
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Best (almost) Birthday Present ever. This is so awesome That I have nothing more to say. Just amazing.
And HOW!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Anbaric wrote:Wow, you actually did it... I knew you would eventually, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. I'm guessing it came now because of the sp/lan merge making it easier?

Anyway, kudos to you for bringing Multiplayer to an awesome mod.

One question though, does it only require the serverside download? Or does each player have to have it installed?

I wonder how many of the people here will be setting up servers...
Every client must also be modified
Goggles998

Post by Goggles998 »

I think I love you flowerchild!!!! :D
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

Hell yes! I was under the impression that you were taking abit of a break FC*, i have rarely been so happy I was wrong. Bravo, Bravo! Your self discipline puts monks to shame. Your effort is deeply appreciated man :)

EDIT: *In retrospect, I have no idea where I got that impression from, I definately dont mean it in an "'ah, i thought you were being lazy..." sense. Anyway, enough of that; good show man; I will be converting all the MC'ers I know forthwith.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

For me it would take all day to code one block or something like that. :D damn its so awesome :))) your epic coder. damn i want to be good like you xD
elustran

Post by elustran »

Awesome. All this is happening just in time, right as I'm getting back into MC. Thanks FlowerChild
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

This is amazing. Thanks so much for all your hard work, FC!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for all the praise guys. Seriously, I love waking up to this kind of stuff. It definitely makes all the work feel worthwhile :)
Ruinous wrote:Hell yes! I was under the impression that you were taking abit of a break FC*
Nah man, I just went a bit quiet as I did want this release to be a bit of a surprise. Also, I didn't want to count my unichickens before they hatched, as it was entirely possible that it wouldn't be practical to do a full SMP port before 1.4 was released.

As it was, I had to pull quite a bit of trickery to get it out considering there isn't a server version of Modloader yet (I had to write my own code for communicating properly with ML clients...I suppose I could have used MLMP, which is an entirely different thing from ML, but that would have required a separate client install, and I really hate doing that to people), and because MCP is still decompiling the client and server to separate code-bases and uses different deobfuscation names for many of the functions and variables, when it's really the same code.

Anyways, was a bit more of a pain that it probably should have been as a result, but in the end I decided it was worth it :)

For now, without ML or MLMP, the server is VERY incompatible with everything, even more so than is normally the case for me, as I had to write my own hooks into base-classes for stuff that ML usually handles. I fully expect this to start changing however, either when ML releases a server-side version (you'll notice that the current ML is still a prerelease), or when 1.4 comes out with the mod API.
Salmonella

Post by Salmonella »

Thanks to school, I missed this, so I hope my thanks on the fourth page still seems as sincere as one on the first page would.

FC, you are an amazing person. You have an amazing mod, and you update almost twice as fast as mostly any other mod I have ever seen, which is especially impressive giving the huge amount of content. And now you've gone and released an SMP version of the best tech mod in Minecraft history.
You are an Elder God that I would most certainly worship.
DocHussey wrote:More phallic worship, sheep style.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW guys, I made somewhat of an official statement with regards to SMP compatibility over on MCF just now. If you're interested, you can find it here:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... ry17669061
JesterxMailMan89

Post by JesterxMailMan89 »

It seems Ive missed the big release but regardless, thank you so much FC :) I really appreciate all the work you put into this mod so we can enjoy it. Thanks again :)
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

*opens thread while in skype conversation with some buddies*
*gets lots of funny comments due to clearly audible reaction*

Other than that, I'm at loss for words.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Congrats on being able to get BTW working for SMP, and thank you for sharing your hard work.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

What a day, I've been looking forward to this for so long. Thank you very much, thank you is about all I can say though, like others I'm having trouble forming words and coherent thoughts amidst my excitement about this monumental day.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Awesome job FlowerChild! Your mod has made Minecraft so much more fun and interesting for me, and being able to play SMP just makes it that much better. Thanks so much for all your hard work!
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

Oh my goodness! I did not expect this when I came onto the forums today! Thank you so much FC, you truly are a god/eldritch overlord among men! ^^ now to pester my friend to make his server BTW... :D
IGN: Matthew_OJ
Link

Post by Link »

Was I the only one expecting the gimp suit 2.0/Troll Release?

That one line about SMP. that made my month.
FlowerChild wrote: Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I LOVE YOU FC!!!!

My brain is still in shutdown and cant think of anything else to say.