New Release! (BTW V3.95)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Twololcats

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.95)

Post by Twololcats »

Woot! New release
Now, we discover what hardcore chickens is...
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

Oh my god man PLEASE have some rest! I'm afraid that you'll have a mental breakdown and start doing obsidian tools or something like that ._.

Thanks a lot for investing your precious time and brain cells to make minecraft worth playing :)
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Jesus man! You are kicking MAJOR ass lately. 4 updates in 4 days?! Including what I'm guessing was one of your most work-intensive updates? And then, instead of taking a long break you add unique and interesting new features. You're really shoving your victory in the update race in the face of all those crap forge mods with this kind of update cycle!

I think you've earned another beer or two. Thanks again, as always, for your hard work, talent, and dedication to the mod and its community.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Every time FC updates, I buy him a drink. Is that considered a drinking game?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Does Hardcore chickens only affect new chickens in the world? Because the chickens I had in my old egg farm are still pooping out eggs regularly...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:Does Hardcore chickens only affect new chickens in the world? Because the chickens I had in my old egg farm are still pooping out eggs regularly...
They shouldn't. Unless others are experiencing the same problem, I'd suspect your installation may be messed up. I'll take a brief look at the code to verify, but that really shouldn't be possible.

EDIT: No, from the code that really shouldn't be possible.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

I noticed it took a bit for Hardcore chickens to take effect, about 5-15 minutes. You just have to wait for the chickens to produce their last egg before it takes effect.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Cuchonchuir

Post by Cuchonchuir »

I had a feeling that there would eventually be another use for hemp and wheat seeds! I'm glad I kept chests and chests of them, lol.

Great job, as always. You are a dynamo.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Syruse wrote:I noticed it took a bit for Hardcore chickens to take effect, about 5-15 minutes. You just have to wait for the chickens to produce their last egg before it takes effect.
How very strange. I put a fail-safe into the code just now that will hopefully prevent that, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why that would happen to begin with.
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Thought I stop lurking and finally join the forum to congratulate you. Truly awesome job FC, I can't wait to see what other delights you've snuck, and will put in in the future!
Alphafox99

Post by Alphafox99 »

So, If I understand this correctly, Hardcore chickens makes you have to feed the chickens for eggs?

If I'm right.

LOVE IT.

Thanks FC
Battosay wrote:*nerd boner*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Alphafox99 wrote:So, If I understand this correctly, Hardcore chickens makes you have to feed the chickens for eggs?
Well, amongst other things. It's not a big secret, and I'm about to update the MCF OP with the relevant info, but here's the basics:

-Chicken "breeding" through feeding them wheat has been disabled, as that was just silly and messed up the unique breeding mechanics that were already in place for chickens before they were built into other mobs.

-Chickens now eat seeds (of pretty much all types, Hemp included), instead of wheat. Similarly, they follow you if you're holding seeds instead of wheat.

-As you pointed out, they only lay eggs if they've been fed.

-Eggs can not be cooked directly into hardboiled eggs anymore. Now, they need to be "cracked" by throwing them against a wall, in the same way as you hatch baby chickens. If a chicken isn't born, then a raw egg results instead.

-Raw eggs can be cooked in a Stewing Pot to obtain Poached Eggs (which directly replace any hardboiled eggs you may have already had in your save), or in a Furnace to create fried eggs (they're functionally equivalent, just with a different texture). They'll also have additional uses in the future.

So yeah, no more sitting a chicken on a pot to get infinite food, and I hope people agree that all the above makes chickens much more interesting and entertaining to farm overall, as well as providing the much requested use for seeds (Jeb said he'd change that awhile ago, but who knows if/when he'll ever get to it, and I've given up on waiting).
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I assume I'm not the only one that was bugged by random eggs lying around in my chicken pen. Added bonus!
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote:Does Hardcore chickens only affect new chickens in the world? Because the chickens I had in my old egg farm are still pooping out eggs regularly...
They shouldn't. Unless others are experiencing the same problem, I'd suspect your installation may be messed up. I'll take a brief look at the code to verify, but that really shouldn't be possible.

EDIT: No, from the code that really shouldn't be possible.
Just as a side note, I am very unsure of what went wrong in my installation, but a force update and a clean install of 3.95 corrected the problem.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:Just as a side note, I am very unsure of what went wrong in my installation, but a force update and a clean install of 3.95 corrected the problem.
Ah...cool. From my experience it just happens from time to time. No idea why...blame the gnomes :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Damn you gnomes! Why must you keep me from my tasty, tasty egg noms, now that I know how to make omelettes really well?!

Also, I realized during the livestream today that I'm going to have to completely redesign my little chicken farm. I will have to work hard to make it as adorable as it is currently. (Yes, I knew this was coming, but the realization just hit home.) That's on top of all the things I have to do otherwise in my LP world. And here I was concerned about running out of things to make episodes out of eventually. ;)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Yay new update, dammit now i have to actually plan a reliable chicken farm XD

Oh and Morvy my TP is up if you were gonna do an update video :D
Never say no to Panda.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Eggs can not be cooked directly into hardboiled eggs anymore. Now, they need to be "cracked" by throwing them against a wall, in the same way as you hatch baby chickens. If a chicken isn't born, then a raw egg results instead.
your kitchen must be an interesting place at breakfast :P

in other news, the poultry singularity device I mentioned when this was first being discussed in the suggestion subforum also seperates eggs from chickens. I love the irony, the device that made chickens too easy to farm now is being used as a component in my prototype chicken/egg launcher/splitter :P
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm away for a couple of days and I miss how many updates?

Just finished reading all relevant info.

Holy hell. I'm at a loss for words. What is really really clear to me are the following:

1) You are probably as white skinned as I :p

2) You really love mc and btw, and your creativity is so over the top, that even the humongous grunt work that was the update was made bearable by simply playing a bit along, and getting so many cool ideas that you can't wait yourself to be done with the update so you can get to the good stuff. Not even remotely able to contain some of those ideas even during the update is proof of how much btw means to you.

3) Btw has REALLY evolved to a new level. I have to say, btw feels so much more refined now than it did the past spring.

4)Btw has changed so much from when I started, that I almost feel like I should be starting over in a new world. Almost ;]

5)I'm really overwhelmed by the huge recent changes my beloved game has gone through due to 1.3 and new btw :p When this happens, I tend to say "I'll just go caving till I digest all these things" (End result being "you must construct additional chests." half tempted to try my hand on a storage add on.)

In all honesty, you are one of the most interesting persons I've never met. Props man, you really are something.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

my god FC you have done it once more :D
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Love'n it! Now I just may have to take over the Jolicraft BTW TP since to me Minecraft *is* BTW + Jolicraft. Just doesn't feel right any other way.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:Probably best to understand how something works before complaining about it.
Yup, you're right. I woke up to find a new update, and while I'm usually only excited when reading the new toys we'll have to play with, I was pissed to see that what I had built, recorded and almost entirely uploaded for the last two days was made useless. Now that the ass-pain is more bearable, I see that I shouldn't have spoke before calming down, and understanding the new system. Because it seems like a really fun one :)

But please, let us know before you do any change that will break existing builds. Like you just did for the Dog food thing. Or the hopper before. It's frustrating to be suddenly facing the fact that something that was working two minutes ago will not work anymore. When you're warned, you have time to prepare, and consider the alternatives :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:But please, let us know before you do any change that will break existing builds. Like you just did for the Dog food thing. Or the hopper before. It's frustrating to be suddenly facing the fact that something that was working two minutes ago will not work anymore. When you're warned, you have time to prepare, and consider the alternatives :)
Well, as you know I'm usually very conscientious about that. The thing is though, sometimes features occur to me at pretty much the same time I implement them, and I just know it's right. This usually happens when I've been thinking about a problem for awhile and suddenly have a "Eureka!" moment while working on something else.

Last night, that's exactly what happened with the Kibble/Dog Food. I was working on the chickens, adding in the various food types, when the idea occurred to me and I just went with it. Hence why the design is still being refined today with stuff like the name change and additional ingredients.

While I normally provide advanced warnings, in a case like that, it would have been a maximum of an hour or two that I knew about it before you guys did :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

This was added in the prior version, but since you mention refining it here, I just gotta praise the Hardcore Sheep mode.

Why can't Mojang do things like this? Fucking BRILLIANT!

Frankly, the only thing that's come from Mojang in a long time that I'm interested in is the Beacon stuff. They seem to finally have caught on to the idea of building useful things using multiple blocks instead of just 1 magic block that does a butt-load (dispenser anyone?)

Oh, and thank you for not making Sheep annoying like Bees in Forestry. God those things are annoying.
wolfe

Post by wolfe »

Congrats on the string of updates, man. Take some time off, though. Its cool that you're cranking out all this stuff, but just take a day or two off and relax.
I play videogames, program, animate, draw, write music and play waterpolo. That makes me one unusual bowl of salsa.