Did diablo 3 suck?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Marasambala

Did diablo 3 suck?

Post by Marasambala »

I just didn't see much talk about it here once it was released. I think borderlands 2 is well on its way to having more interest. I usually wait until I hear some buzz about a new game before I look at getting it, but diablo seems like it was a dud.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Katalliaan

Re: Did diablo 3 suck?

Post by Katalliaan »

It could just be that nobody here was interested in D3. It has a lot of things I don't particularly care about - always-on DRM, requiring a constant internet connection to play (what if you're on a laptop and want to play on the road?), the ability to buy power through the RMT AH, and a $60 price point.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

I would guess that most of us are sandboxers. You're more likely to see us playing heavily modded Bethesda games (Obscurum especially; holy cow it's awesome), open-ended combat simulators (like ARMA), and just about anything with zombies. :D

I looked at D3, but the price tag was too hefty, especially when I can't play the game whenever I like.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
wolfe

Post by wolfe »

I wouldn't say that it sucked, but it wasn't exactly a game I could play for very long.
I play videogames, program, animate, draw, write music and play waterpolo. That makes me one unusual bowl of salsa.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

I was playing Diablo 2 nearly a decade now, loving till today, but yes for me D3 totally sucks.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
tedium

Post by tedium »

yes, yes it did. it's one of the most unbalanced games i've ever played, and the multiplayer was just plain stupid. the way it worked was like this... play by yourself and the game is fairly easy and rewarding until you reach the last difficulty at which point you must farm each act roughly 1000 times to get enough gear (or money to buy gear) to move to the next act. play with your friends and the game is exponentially harder, with no additional reward offered. and the multiplayer mechanics were near non-existant. the only thing you would change about your spec when playing multiplayer was if you were melee you would swap damage for survivability, and range would do the opposite. but to actually 'tank' and take the aggression is impossible. you can only block enemies from running to your ranged dps. but then, the game moves so fast that

so 4000 runs later, you finally get to the last act of the last difficulty level, and you join a game, and a ranged class is already clearing the entire level by himself using a glitch that has been well publicized for a month or two but for some reason blizzard have decided not to fix... and you finally pick up a best in slot legendary piece of gear, but for some reason it has a completely mismatched attribute and is actually inferior to the crappy yellow item you are already wearing. so you finally succumb to the reality that you could have made many thousands of dollars in real life if you had worked a job instead of played the game, and you spend some real money and get some awesome gear, near the very best possible in the game... and then you jump back in to play some more... and it's still ridiculously hard with no increased enjoyment. and the only thing left to achieve is making a set with magic find on it so you can play the game another 10,000 times and collect gear to sell to other people so you can at least pretend to have achieved something by playing diablo 3.

it did achieve on thing for blizzard tho... i got a game card and reactivated my WoW account. man, they've made that game so easy now, but it's still kinda fun :)
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Overall i enjoyed the short time i had with D3. I played on a friends account and managed to get through the majority of act II. The two things that i didn't like was one: the difficulty progression through the game was non existent. Act II was just as easy as act I and the was very disappointing to me. The other thing that just bugged the living cap out of me was that you can't farm bosses. Once you kill them they are dead. Unless there's some new trick to get them to come back but the old go back to town exit the game and come back didn't work for me. Again overall i enjoyed the game. Its still very much diablo at its heart there's just a few changes that i found that i didn't agree with at all.
simanick

Post by simanick »

Thalmane wrote:Overall i enjoyed the short time i had with D3. I played on a friends account and managed to get through the majority of act II. The two things that i didn't like was one: the difficulty progression through the game was non existent. Act II was just as easy as act I and the was very disappointing to me. The other thing that just bugged the living cap out of me was that you can't farm bosses. Once you kill them they are dead. Unless there's some new trick to get them to come back but the old go back to town exit the game and come back didn't work for me. Again overall i enjoyed the game. Its still very much diablo at its heart there's just a few changes that i found that i didn't agree with at all.
1) normal is stupid easy
2) change your quest to prior to killing the boss and you can again
3) while i dont think the game sucked it was nothing compared to d2 which in and of it self makes me extremely disappointed.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I've been a fan of the Diablo series since the original, and while D3 wasn't all it was hyped up to be (go figure...) I still enjoyed it. Haven't played for a while, though, since I always seem to return to Minecraft after every stint with another game...

I don't think it sucked, but it wasn't any huge improvement over the previous two games either...
Lots of planets have a north...!
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

There was some discussion concerning diablo 3 some time ago. We had two camps, the was that d3 will be boring because they ripped out character builds, the other was that the skills are more streamlined and the battle more fluid.

I agree with both sides, the battles are slightly more fun, but the game itself lost some appeal because building your own character for different functions is fun. Just look at dota and its clones, you can "build" your character in a myriad of ways and that's what's important in it.

They built it to be easy for the masses and they built it around the auction house. That's the problem. I remember in D2 we had people who were legends. Take that away, let everyone become as-strong-as-possible and you've got a lot of people with nothing to fight for.

There's essentially no replay value, because you can get it all in one go.

That's the reason why the game has got a big fat MEH from me.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

It was a solid game, but nothing that will go down in history. Spent about 60 hours on it on my monk, made it through act 1 inferno - Had some good fun, mainly in good coop public games, but the game just doesnt have the longevity that would make it great.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I wouldn't say it sucks, it's either meh, or a lesson in futility and hatred towards machines
it was fun, up to the point that my internet reallized that I was playing an always on drm game and decided to make my ping speed in the 10000's (no I'm not adding too many zeroes, ten thousands) eventually, it just became unplayable between the crashes and stupidly long second act (oh finally, I've found the first cave :D *crash* *reload* *is at the beginning of the area, and the cave locations are rerandomized* FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU) (also Be-fucking-lial, lag + wizard + fatass taking up the whole screen + bullshit instakill nearly unavoidable attack = sadface)

it's a good game if your internet isn't actively malevolent towards you.

I guess the main problems stem from the RMAH, if they didn't have that, there wouldn't be an always on DRM, so no network issues for playing single player. all of their balancing is done around the AH now as well "oh, these things are getting too much stuff from magic find, let's nerf the hell out of it, players still gearing be damned"
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Thank you all for full explanations. Even D2 didn't improve on D1 for me, so D3 is a big no as well.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

wolfe wrote:I wouldn't say that it sucked, but it wasn't exactly a game I could play for very long.
I second this feeling. Played it once through and had no desire to do it again but with only "tougher monsters" and do the grind-fest all over again. Yet again, i felt "I spent $60 on this and got 2 weeks enjoyment. I spent $15 on minecraft 2 years ago and I'm still playing it".
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing