New Release! (BTW V3.91)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.91)

Post by Battosay »

I'm gonna start thinking that you don't really read my PM bro ;)
That was in the last Suggestion one. Let me quote myself :p
Spoiler
Show
(...)
- Something I noticed in my auto-pottery setup (with clay reclycing) : clay balls tend to end up occupying every slots of the BD quickly, and when it's almost running out of clay, the BD is oftenly filled with stacks of 1, 2 or 3 clay balls. The BD can't place them, because it needs 4. The problem is that when it occurs, the BD, instead of eitheir skipping to the next slot, or taking some clay balls in the next slot to make it 4, does nothing. It won't place anything, and just wait for the next signal.
Which actually makes some sort of a "passive slot" for the BD, like I requested a while ago, except that this one can only be used once per BD, and is a pain in a pottery setup running for a long time : it slows it down a lot.

- Still about the BD and the "passive slot" thing, I'm not sure if we talked about bricks before. Since it's working sorta' the same way with hopper, why not say that the BD can't place Bricks ? I can't remember your say on this.

- Somehow related to al this, but I'm not sure it would be doable :
A passive crafting item. Something that can be place in the crafting grid, to occupy a slot, but wouldn't change anything to the recipe. This would allow to ultra easily mass-craft more advanced recipe using the shift-click.
Like let's say a rope.
You place 3 passive item vertically on the right, then you just have to shift-click the fiber to make the rope, much faster.
Though I'm effraid this one might be tricky to do, and if so, is not really worth it.

- A planter without flower, or a way to prevent flower from popping in planters.
They can be a huge pain to deal with in wheat farm, and it's already such a pain to begin with, it's too much :p
Maybe just allow them to grow in Soul sand planters ? Though it might feel weird.
Maybe a kind of crop growing in Soul sand planters ?
(...)
Lol, I had to quote a bigger part, as I just noticed that those 4 actually got in :p
Forget me saying you don't read my PM :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Lol, I had to quote a bigger part, as I just noticed that those 4 actually got in :p
Forget me saying you don't read my PM :p
Hehe...exactly. I definitely did read that and reacted to it :)

For some reason though, the passive crafting item fell through one of the many holes in my memory. Guess it was still lurking back there somewhere though.

So, belated "good idea!" on that one ;)
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Right. You know my position. Any release is a good release, though, I guess.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

Played 10 hours of BTW this week and wish I had time for more. I do not get tired of this mod, in part becuase of your relentless updating.

10 bucks for you.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Another awesome update while I am away. I can't wait til I am hope to check this all out in person.
The mold (or is it mould? I can't look back on a mobile) is gonna make my life so much easier. Thanks for the update man!!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Another awesome update while I am away. I can't wait til I am hope to check this all out in person.
The mold (or is it mould? I can't look back on a mobile) is gonna make my life so much easier. Thanks for the update man!!
Mould is a clay or sand template often used in forgework (And what we're using here). Mold is the fungus that grows in wet areas.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

If you're interested, I ran some custom filters to make the paintings look a bit better in lower resolution :)
Spoiler
Show
Though I notice now that I forgot to change the plank back to default ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Getting faster, aren't we ? ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Getting faster, aren't we ? ;)
Great job man! Heading over to MCF to pimp it :)
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

God I hate you FC (JK). Just took a look at canvases in Battosay's video and (as he stoped on the last "important" one) my head goes spinnning trying to think of what that picture in particular could mean.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

matty79321 wrote:God I hate you FC (JK). Just took a look at canvases in Battosay's video and (as he stoped on the last "important" one) my head goes spinnning trying to think of what that picture in particular could mean.
The answers you seek are somewhere on the forums :)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Ribky wrote:
matty79321 wrote:God I hate you FC (JK). Just took a look at canvases in Battosay's video and (as he stoped on the last "important" one) my head goes spinnning trying to think of what that picture in particular could mean.
The answers you seek are somewhere on the forums :)
Found it, thanks for letting me know that it existed. (found both on MCF and here)

Why FC, why must you make BTW so awesome with this new stuffs, all the speculation and suspense is killing me.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Fuck, and to think I just put the Isle of the Dead one and The Fool up on my wall to look cool. FC, you wily bastard. I have insomnia already, I don't need another reason staying up all night on my computer. Also, I LOVE the moulds. They give an incentive to make more anvils than just the few you need to sprinkle around your base at common crafting areas. I'm kinda thinking that with this release I might finally make my long-procrastinated goal of making a dedicated mega-crafting room with a large assortment of Anvils stocked with Moulds in the proper patterns to make pretty much any item in the game I might need, ever, and chests with required materials next to each one.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
LordGuppy

Post by LordGuppy »

What!? why must the bricks leave!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

LordGuppy wrote:What!? why must the bricks leave!
Well, I know why you must leave.
Shady

Post by Shady »

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but YAY, New Release! :)
FlowerChild wrote: Maybe the looting organ happens to fly right in his face as his battle-axe cleaves a villager in two, and causes him to scream "Eureka!".
teh_tetra

Post by teh_tetra »

Great update signifies everything that I love about BTW, FC is so amazing please keep it coming for a long time.
Foxy Boxes wrote:I don't often see, but when I do, it's what you did there.
Flowerchild wrote:never underestimate the value of a good cudgel
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

iThis update makes me so happy. So much so, that I've only just finished playing with it enough to write what I think about it. That being said, I don't know if i have the words.

Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!

Thanks, FC!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Eriottosan wrote: Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote: Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
That's sig-worthy.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

I was looking for a unique and awesome sig, thanks! I will test this release out in Battosay's world which I just downloaded. And look, it is done downloading as i finish this post!
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
Ultrajoe

Post by Ultrajoe »

Ejecting from random stacks destablizes such setups, causing them to fail with time, while it shouldn't have any impact on legitimate builds.
Hello Flowerchild, I've loved your mod for ages but haven't really had a need to sign up to the forum. Now, however, I do have one point to raise.

I just had a concern regarding the changes to bricks in hoppers. I'm not sure what exploits were being spawned from their use, but I've been using them to make sure my hoppers send a redstone signal whenever they receive any item. This was a core mechanism I used to distribute seeds (and only seeds) evenly in my automated wheat farm, and one undone by this change. I understand if the feature was allowing exploits, but it also enabled a key ability of the hoppers; the option to alter their storage capacity and thus trigger the signal that results from it. To be fair, what I'm describing might be the very exploit you are hoping to fix, but at least for my humble purposes I loved it dearly and used un-nefariously.

I'm not sure how much of a hooplah you give, but here's some more information all the same. I love the mod regardless. My point is just that this feature is core to a lot of mechanisms that I would imagine to be legitimate, and without the bricks' ability to clog slots they are rendered broken. I beg mercy for the humble clay brick, because otherwise it's back to piston rings and they are noisy and boorish.
Spoiler
Show
This is just a simple knock-up of the system, as the practical examples are buried deep in delicate and bothersome machinery.

In the simplest terms, when any of these hoppers (they are unpowered) receives a seed it has it's final slot filled (the rest being stuffed with bricks) and so sends a redstone signal. This signal unblocks their mechanical power and causes a row of block dispensers above them to retract their item. They flush their seed into the auto-farm below them, the signal goes off, and thus the block dispensers spit out their next item. In these dispensers is a series of coloured wools and a single moulding, which allows seeds to drop into the next hopper in the sequence. As such, seeds floating down a stream atop these wools are distributed one by one into the hoppers below. I have no idea how much sense that makes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Ultrajoe wrote:-snip-
Hey Ultra, welcome to the forum. I'm fairly sure this is the exploit that this change was addressing. FC mentioned a planned "splitter chute" which should help with dividing items better in the future. Until then there are other methods of accurately splitting up items (possibly addressed in a thread in tech support) that can serve this purpose, although they aren't nearly as compact.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I think you could replace the sand under redstone next to the hoppers with Detector Blocks and leave the hoppers powered to maintain the same functionality.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

@Ultrajoe
Welcome to the forums.

I must say I'm . I do not believe I have seen a feed splitter done in this manner before. Clever if --- as Niyu has mentioned --- roundabout. In happier times for it's it and it's kin I would have enjoyed seeing it in the "Show us your builds" thread.

Times being what they are however, I should inform you that this may not have been the best way to go about making this statement. Should you in the future find a missing/removed functionality in the mod I would recommend searching around the forums to see if others have been talking of creating/replacing it. (And, given the way the suggests forums is, once you have should probably also spend several days asking everything that can go wrong with it, how much it actually adds, and whether or not it can be replaced by existing functions.)

Regardless I will agree with you that ---necessary as it was to remove it--- this kind of functionality and the other functions provided by the bricks/hopper-signal combination will be sorely missed.
Mason11987 wrote:
Hey Ultra, welcome to the forum. I'm fairly sure this is the exploit that this change was addressing. FC mentioned a planned "splitter chute" which should help with dividing items better in the future. Until then there are other methods of accurately splitting up items (possibly addressed in a thread in tech support) that can serve this purpose, although they aren't nearly as compact.
Actually, I do not believe this is the case. The exploit FC mentioned involved using to make it easier to setup a system where a controlled item intake and output rate can create a totally arbitrary filter that does not rely on the properties of the filter slots. This on the other hand appears to simply be the use of a limited number of slots in tandem with the "redstone pulse on full" functionality to create a automatic feed splitter.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪