[SPOILERS] 3.80 feature discovery thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

[SPOILERS] 3.80 feature discovery thread

Post by FlowerChild »

This thread is for the purpose of discussing aspects of 3.80 as people discover them.

IMPORTANT:

Please only post discoveries *made through legitimate play*. Posting discoveries made through cheating will result in a ban. If you absolutely must cheat, keep anything you find to yourself to preserve the enjoyment of others, and the community as a whole as it works together to figure things out.
Urian

Re: [SPOILERS] 3.80 feature discovery thread

Post by Urian »

In case someone wandered in here by mistake: THIS IS A SPOILER THREAD

Soo, the enchanter requires black candles (candles + ink) and can enchant tools if you provide both a tool and a scroll looking thing (arcane scroll I guess, haven't gotten that far yet).

Edit: Candles can also be colored other colors.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

-Candles can not be dyed inside the stewing pot, if anyone was wondering
-The Infernal Enchanter's 4 candles only lit up when you are close to it, much like the book in the Enchanting Table.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

blocks of soulforged steel in combination with water are making funny sounds, was that already there?
like a slurp
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Kezza wrote:blocks of soulforged steel in combination with water are making funny sounds, was that already there?
like a slurp
They thirst...

found in creative mode:
Spoiler
Show
as for the enchanter, it seems like xp doesn't cut it, will we need to actually funnel it dragon orbs? nope
(also, I have no idea how to make the scrolls...)
Last edited by Calcifire3691 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

I tried it with enchanting paper, but that would be too easy, i think. :D
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Guys, I think this is the "Feature discovery" thread, not "theories and thought about the new feature".
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Itamarcu wrote:Guys, I think this is the "Feature discovery" thread, not "theories and thought about the new feature".
This thread is for the purpose of discussing aspects of 3.80 as people discover them.
what is discovering the purpose of something if not also discovering what it isn't?
it would make more sense to show our working here (if only to prove we did it without decompiling) than in the spoiler free release thread

anyway, on topic:
creative mode used to find info:
Spoiler
Show
the enchanter won't accept dragon orbs, soul urns, or villagers standing on top of it
the problem is, I'm not sure if the "not accepting xp orbs" is intended or a botched install... (or a product of NEIing/creativemodeing the scroll to test, but since we don't know how to make scrolls...)
CraftGuide mod used to find info
Spoiler
Show
the thing is, craftguide doesn't seem to find the arcane scrolls, so that would imply that the way of producing them is something we've never used before... (which narrows it down to "anything in the game except the stuff we already know")
damn FC, your riddle/enigma/giantphallus is harder than ever...
Last edited by Calcifire3691 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

EDIT : Apparently i can read....

Still havent worked out how to make the arcane scrolls tho.
Last edited by Magick_Miner on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

Magick_Miner wrote:By the look of it you can no longer enchant Refined tools at the enchantment table.
Please read the changelog first before stating things like this.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Ultionis wrote:
Magick_Miner wrote:By the look of it you can no longer enchant Refined tools at the enchantment table.
Please read the changelog first before stating things like this.
Ahhh my bad, missed that both times i went over it.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Calcifire3691 wrote:the thing is, craftguide doesn't seem to find the arcane scrolls, so that would imply that the way of producing them is something we've never used before... (which narrows it down to "anything in the game except the stuff we already know")
I imagine it accepts the regular XP just fine, but it need the arcane scroll(-s), there are even slot for them. I have zero idea how to get those though.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

This is just a guess here, I haven't even installed the new version.

Maybe the arcane scroll is supposed to be a kind of blueprint which you would have to craft using a "low tier" tool enchanted with the enchantment you want for your refined tool.
As to were this might occur, I have no idea of. A soul urn might be involved in the process as it would act as a next-age access.

Edit : nope, there is already the soulforged steel requirement for the infernal enchanter, as shown on the MC thread's OP... Sorry about that !

Again, just throwing of an idea to you as I can't test it my self right now.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote:the thing is, craftguide doesn't seem to find the arcane scrolls, so that would imply that the way of producing them is something we've never used before... (which narrows it down to "anything in the game except the stuff we already know")
I imagine it accepts the regular XP just fine, but it need the arcane scroll(-s), there are even slot for them. I have zero idea how to get those though.
I checked in my creative testworld (I do most of my testing there, the risk of "oh maybe if I... *explosion that wipes out base*" from when I played IC2 has made me paranoid about testing features in a world that isn't expendable)
Spoiler
Show
creative has a scroll of protection but that doesn't do anything it just brings up the XP costs for the enchant and level. I also tried NEI, but no change.
Last edited by Calcifire3691 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Since the candles can be dyed in 16 different colors, they probably have (or will have) a use.
I don't think the only thing to do with them is the recipe, yet they aren't placeable.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Calcifire3691 wrote:-snipe-
You might want to remove that post... I believe this is the kind of cheating FlowerChild was speaking of.

Just test is through legitimate gameplay ! And an explosion is nothing you can't fix easily as FC isn't likely to make the crafting of arcane scroll blow up half of your world if made the wrong way... Or is he ? :p

Edit :
Itamarcu wrote:Since the candles can be dyed in 16 different colors, they probably have (or will have) a use.
I don't think the only thing to do with them is the recipe, yet they aren't placeable.
FlowerChild wrote:-Added Candles as a new item (2 Tallow + Hemp Fiber). These will have additional uses down the road once the extended block IDs are available in vanilla.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Gormador wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote:-snipe-
You might want to remove that post... I believe this is the kind of cheating FlowerChild was speaking of.

Just test is through legitimate gameplay ! And an explosion is nothing you can't fix easily as FC isn't likely to make the crafting of arcane scroll blow up half of your world if made the wrong way... Or is he ? :p
I thought that he was referring to decompiling the code like someone did for the nether sludge

anyway, even if it IS cheating it hasn't helped other than making me paranoid that I've borked my install...
I'll spoiler my stuff and say it's found via creative if it makes you feel better :P

edit: and yes, yes he is :P
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

As I'm in the middle of a coding binge and am incapable of playing minecraft until these binges of mine subside, I haven't been able to test this yet, sadly. However, I do have some educated guesses/suggestions:

Has anybody tried placing blocks around the infernal enchanter like bookshelves around a normal enchanter?

I seriously doubt that FC would pass up the opportunity for a multi-block system with this thing, so I'm guessing the thing might only operate when surrounded by certain blocks. Good candidates: Soulforged steel (eep!), companion cubes (even worse!), concentrated hellfire blocks, perhaps even vanilla enchantment tables (hilarious!)?

...Or perhaps at one of those places FC mentioned? Those 4 hotspots? Has anybody tried placing it directly at the spawn, the most likely and most easily pinpointable candidate for said hotspots? A lot of screenshots FC's made recently have involved very stronghold-looking areas, and he did talk about us "preparing", so maybe this has already been implemented?

Even if neither of those is the solution (I don't have a good track record guessing things perfectly like that ^_^;), I still think thinking outside the block is the right idea. I seriously suspect the location and surroundings of the block play some role.

...Has anybody tried putting blank scrolls in the infernal enchanter?

...Or placing the infernal enchanter in the nether?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Actually i made some discoveries with few NEI'd scrolls, but I'm not sure if it counts as cheating. Can I get "yes" or "no" from above whether I can share them?

The main problem still remains the fact that I haven't got a slightest idea how to get arcane scrolls. Trying to enchant paper, trying put paper and enchanted weapon in the infernal enchanter doesn't seem to work.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:As I'm in the middle of a coding binge and am incapable of playing minecraft until these binges of mine subside, I haven't been able to test this yet, sadly. However, I do have some educated guesses/suggestions:

Has anybody tried placing blocks around the infernal enchanter like bookshelves around a normal enchanter?

I seriously doubt that FC would pass up the opportunity for a multi-block system with this thing, so I'm guessing the thing might only operate when surrounded by certain blocks. Good candidates: Soulforged steel (eep!), companion cubes (even worse!), concentrated hellfire blocks, perhaps even vanilla enchantment tables (hilarious!)?

...Or perhaps at one of those places FC mentioned? Those 4 hotspots? Has anybody tried placing it directly at the spawn, the most likely and most easily pinpointable candidate for said hotspots? A lot of screenshots FC's made recently have involved very stronghold-looking areas, and he did talk about us "preparing", so maybe this has already been implemented?

Even if neither of those is the solution (I don't have a good track record guessing things perfectly like that ^_^;), I still think thinking outside the block is the right idea. I seriously suspect the location and surroundings of the block play some role.

in creative mode:
Spoiler
Show
I tried in the nether: nothing.
with water: nothing
with SFS blocks (with and without the smoke/redstine interaction): nope

I'll try at the world spawn now (and 0,0): nope and nope
I tried with blank paper: nada
I tried with paper in a vanilla enchanter: zip
although, I haven't tried with bookshelves yet
Last edited by Calcifire3691 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

I can't test it yet (work ><) but I'll be seriously dissapointed if scrolls aren't made with paper between two moulding and maybe a bit of glue on the sides :P
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

ok, this was discovered in creative mode using the protection scroll that is in the creative inventory, so if you consider creative to be cheating then cover your eyes and ears and don't open the spoiler.
Spoiler
Show
thanks raust, you were spot on with the bookcase idea, the table will only work when surrounded by bookcases.
however, now the real challenge begins: we need to figure out how to make the scrolls, after all, the table is useless without them (I plan to do these tests in my main world, it's a crafting puzzle after all)
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Guys, the scrolls aren't made using Anvil/crafting bench/inventory recipes.
RaustBlackDragon wrote: Has anybody tried placing blocks around the infernal enchanter like bookshelves around a normal enchanter?
Yes, it functions just like it. You have to put bookcases in the same shape as the enchanting table (so it's 30 bookcases).
Currently, it does nothing.
No. There is no thing as "Blank scroll" as far as we know. We don't know how to make them.
Did nothing.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

FC mentioned that we'd need a stronghold library, I'm not sure if he was just referring to a large amount of bookcases in general, or specifically a stronghold library. alas, the only stronghold I have easy (by which I mean "not a 15 minute swim") access to has no library :<
(maybe bookcases near the nexus generate scrolls when broken?)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Should I remember everyone that the bookcases thingy is quite an obvious one as FlowerChild himself posted a stronghold library screenshot a few days ago ?

Edit : ninja'd
@ Calcifire : don't forget that you can easily link different places of the overworld thanks to the nether... (vanilla behavior)