[Spoilers] Soulforged steel discoveries

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
HighMongrel

[Spoilers] Soulforged steel discoveries

Post by HighMongrel »

This is a spoiler topic for 3.7 soulforged steel armor discoveries. As implied their will definitely be spoilers so read at your own risk. Last chance to back out of this.

Anyways I've made 3 discoveries so far
Spoiler
Show
First, while wearing plate boots the sound of you walking is much louder.
Second, you can no longer swim in plate armor. That's right, if you wear any piece of plate armor you sink like a hunk of metal. You can jump a bit higher underwater though.
Third, Plate helmets with the respiration enchantment have their effect improved by a fairly significant degree. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but it seems to almost double.
That's all for now. Hopefully I can get 3.7 properly working on my main world soon.
BinoAl

Re: Soulforged steel discoveries

Post by BinoAl »

This... excites me. It almost seems like he's turning sfs into an old style diving suit :)
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Oh man. I would've never figured that out. Well, I've been saving my SFS armor suit on an armor stand, but its time to don it and check this out.

Also, the implications in multiplayer are pretty cool. Deep underwater base ? Yes please.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

HighMongrel wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Second, you can no longer swim in plate armor. That's right, if you wear any piece of plate armor you sink like a hunk of metal. You can jump a bit higher underwater though.
Spoiler
Show
Wow. Just.. uuugh. This totally breaks SFS armour for me. :/ Not only is there a huge amount of water around my base and I need to swim a lot, but with this change I can no longer navigate my own base, since there are a lot of places where I jump into a water block and swim up to the next level. It's an interesting mechanic but unfortunately extremely impractical,expecially for me.. Back to iron armour..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Have faith, Morn! We know this release is going to be one of several leading up to the "Anniversary Update", and when has he ever made big changes like this without good reason?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Spoiler
Show
OOOOH! Now THIS is interesting! I'm wondering how this functions with boats, or mod-added mountable entities like it...
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I don't feel like the spoilers are neccesary unless it's a mega big discovery :p
After all, this is a thread about discussing these spoilers, who would come in here, then complain about things being spoiled? :D
Elevatator

Re: [Spoilers] Soulforged steel discoveries

Post by Elevatator »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Wow. Just.. uuugh. This totally breaks SFS armour for me. :/ Not only is there a huge amount of water around my base and I need to swim a lot, but with this change I can no longer navigate my own base, since there are a lot of places where I jump into a water block and swim up to the next level. It's an interesting mechanic but unfortunately extremely impractical,expecially for me.. Back to iron armour..
Use boats.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

(Edit - removed off-topic post.)

First day back and already made a terrible rookie mistake, I apologize. Even though I saw the title of the thread was about SFS, I wrongly assumed it would be a good place to discuss spoilers about other features. I haven't progressed to SFS on my current world yet, so in reality I shouldn't be speculating about how to process Dragon Orbs.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Elevatator wrote: Use boats.
Come on, don't be captain obvious man. I obviously use boats, but that does not mean that I don't do a whole lot of swimming.

I just noticed that your name was Elevatator and not Elevator. Wow :P

On the other hand, the sfs helm makes for a very good diving helmet. The problem is, visibility is one of the three factors that make underwater ops a pain, and the helm cannot help with that.. Thank god I have a massive pumpkin farm :P
War..
War never changes.

johnt

Post by johnt »

Large biomes, giant oceans, building huge bases under the sea. Seems like it's custom made for it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think for topics like this, having "Spoilers" in the topic is just fine. No need to use actual spoilers within the posts too :)
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Maybe is my imagination but I think the hunger bar empties faster when you are wearing the soulforged steel armor.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Niyu wrote:Maybe is my imagination but I think the hunger bar empties faster when you are wearing the soulforged steel armor.
I thought so too. I sprinted a few laps through my subway tunnel with and without, but due to the idiosyncrasies of the hunger bar, I wasn't able to determine much. I always carry a few cows-worth of beef with me anyway.
RaustBlackDragon

Dr. Kylstein wrote:
Niyu wrote:Maybe is my imagination but I think the hunger bar empties faster when you are wearing the soulforged steel armor.
I thought so too. I sprinted a few laps through my subway tunnel with and without, but due to the idiosyncrasies of the hunger bar, I wasn't able to determine much. I always carry a few cows-worth of beef with me anyway.
idiosyncrasies? It generally follows a precise formula. When you say you couldn't determine much, what do you mean? What were the results?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

It's probably to do with the effect that when you fill your hunger bar, you can actually start draining stamina for a while before the hunger bar starts being affected.

If you wanna do a proper scientific test, I would recommend handcranking until your stamina is empty, then eat 1 cooked steak and see how far you can sprint. Then rinse and repeat with the SFS armour. Emptying the stamina bar should eliminate any "phantom stamina" there might be present.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Don't feel too bad morm, I actually found the two out after spawning in my base under the ocean. Needless to say I'm going to have to make another way out, especially since you'll drown if you try to swim out without the respiration enchantment (which is currently placed conveniently on my plate helmet)
RaustBlackDragon

HighMongrel wrote:Don't feel too bad morm, I actually found the two out after spawning in my base under the ocean. Needless to say I'm going to have to make another way out, especially since you'll drown if you try to swim out without the respiration enchantment (which is currently placed conveniently on my plate helmet)
What's all this talk about drowning? Can't you just take them off temporarily and put them in your extradimensional-weightless-hammerspace storage unit thingy?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Read what he posted again, without the armour (and the water breathing enchantment on it) he can't make it to the surface :P
War..
War never changes.

HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Well, hunger definitely seems to be draining faster. It might actually be problematic at this point. It also seems that until you're lite on fire, fire doesn't damage you.

Also, I managed to get out, though with only 2 hearts left and only because I had full hunger thus I was regenerating health.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Thalarctia wrote:It's probably to do with the effect that when you fill your hunger bar, you can actually start draining stamina for a while before the hunger bar starts being affected.

If you wanna do a proper scientific test, I would recommend handcranking until your stamina is empty, then eat 1 cooked steak and see how far you can sprint. Then rinse and repeat with the SFS armour. Emptying the stamina bar should eliminate any "phantom stamina" there might be present.
You're absolutely right.

One trial, starting from exactly 4 full hunger units (Edit: from one cooked steak), stopping when sprinting becomes impossible at 3 units:
Sprinted 337 blocks without armor.
Sprinted 204 with a full suit.
Last edited by Dr. Kylstein on Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

There is no phantom stamina, each food has a saturation value along with a hunger value.

Hunger value fills the visible hunger bar, saturation value fills the invisible saturation bar. Each action drains some stamina, which comes from saturation first, and when that bar is empty from the hunger bar (you can tell if your saturation is empty by the jittering of the hunger bar).

Meat has a very high saturation value, whereas watermelons have a very low on,which is why you get hungry much faster when eating melons.

That said, your test results are valid, as long as you ate exactly the same kind of food :]
War..
War never changes.

Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

Hmmm, I think what this actually means is navy seal style SMP anarchy infiltration. You'll never see them coming :)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:There is no phantom stamina, each food has a saturation value along with a hunger value.

Hunger value fills the visible hunger bar, saturation value fills the invisible saturation bar. Each action drains some stamina, which comes from saturation first, and when that bar is empty from the hunger bar (you can tell if your saturation is empty by the jittering of the hunger bar).

Meat has a very high saturation value, whereas watermelons have a very low on,which is why you get hungry much faster when eating melons.

That said, your test results are valid, as long as you ate exactly the same kind of food :]
Thanks a bunch for the explanation here! Although, I will retain that when stuff like this is not really shown on the GUI, it qualifies as "phantom" :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

The boot sounds now are making me constantly check behind me, it keeps sounding like I'm being followed...