So I made a windmill..

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
RezDev

So I made a windmill..

Post by RezDev »

...and it was good.
Spoiler
Show
Of course this is nothing compared to what most of y'all make, I'm sure, but for me, the mechanical functionality added by this mod has given me a new view of Minecraft.

I had always been impressed by creative builds that featured windmills and waterwheels and lumber mills, but I was always dismayed by the fact that they weren't functional. Now I can make these things, and they will actually do something, and I can combine aesthetically pleasing constructions with functionality.

Excellent.

So I just wanted to register and say thanks to FC for making this mod, and I'm really looking forward to exploring the rest of the possibilities for construction and seeing wherever he takes it in the future.

For now, though, I need to clear some space for a stewing pot.

Peace out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: So I made a windmill..

Post by FlowerChild »

Glad you're enjoying it man :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Your compound is rockin'. You'll have to share more of it as you progress. I find that I focus more on large factory builds these days and I'm usually just powering through the tech-tree (IE windmills) so fast that my windmill become a temporary structure stuck on a column of cobble. Nice to see someone creating an aesthetic build around the beast.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Awesome build! It looks so peaceful :D
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I've made it a point to always try to settle on the edge of a desert in my BTW worlds, simply because windmills look so amazing that its a shame to limit them to the visual. Awesome looking compound, but unless you have a vast underground complex, you will need to expand a lot on it to fit in BTW stuff :D Will be awesome to see if you keep sharing.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:Glad you're enjoying it man :)
Yes, it's very cool--pretty much exactly as Minecraft should feel, in my opinion. It's the mechanical power--it just feels right for the game.

I'm still very new to the mod, so it will be fun working throughout the tech tree and seeing firsthand how to fit it all together.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Your compound is rockin'. You'll have to share more of it as you progress. I find that I focus more on large factory builds these days and I'm usually just powering through the tech-tree (IE windmills) so fast that my windmill become a temporary structure stuck on a column of cobble. Nice to see someone creating an aesthetic build around the beast.
diegokilla wrote:Awesome build! It looks so peaceful :D

Thank you. It's the aesthetic building that attracted me to Minecraft to begin with, but Creative mode really wasn't my style. Something about having a materiel cost is what makes the building fun for me.

I had heard about this mod before, but it wasn't until recently that someone started adding BTW support to my texture pack of choice (John Smith--I really dislike the vanilla textures). Once I discovered this, I had to check it out, and I'm glad I did.

In fact, this is my main (and only) world. The windmill was incorporated into an existing structure and so needed to maintain the design theme for the area.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Thalarctia wrote:I've made it a point to always try to settle on the edge of a desert in my BTW worlds, simply because windmills look so amazing that its a shame to limit them to the visual. Awesome looking compound, but unless you have a vast underground complex, you will need to expand a lot on it to fit in BTW stuff :D Will be awesome to see if you keep sharing.
Well, this is the only MC world I have, the one I started at the beginning. I'm fairly new to Minecraft, having bought it at version 1.1, I think.

It's a seed I found on the MC Forum--an ocean biome with a couple of small islands together with another just at the edge of render distance (on far). There is a massive cave system underneath, though, and I mean huge. Multiple ravines, tunnels like swiss cheese, and even a mineshaft. I haven't come close to exploring it all.

So, yeah, I have to redesign my basement a bit, but once I get elevators and platforms and whatnot, it should get interesting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RezDev wrote:In fact, this is my main (and only) world. The windmill was incorporated into an existing structure and so needed to maintain the design theme for the area.
I think you'll fit in just fine here man. I'm the same way in that I've been playing the same world since I started playing MC over a year ago. One of the things about the mod is that I've always designed it so that people could integrate it rather seamlessly into existing worlds, and so that the mod wouldn't break worlds either by introducing elements to world-gen or what have you.

Thank you for your trust in deciding to integrate it into your main like that.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Thank you soo much for being as ascetically picky as i am! <3
I'de say we're glad to have you.
Never say no to Panda.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Cool :)

Do be mindful where you place fire/lava since it looks rather flammable.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:I think you'll fit in just fine here man.
Thank you for that. I appreciate the welcome.
I'm the same way in that I've been playing the same world since I started playing MC over a year ago. One of the things about the mod is that I've always designed it so that people could integrate it rather seamlessly into existing worlds, and so that the mod wouldn't break worlds either by introducing elements to world-gen or what have you.

Thank you for your trust in deciding to integrate it into your main like that.
Yes, I have been reading the MC Forum thread a bit and hanging about around here as well (I've also listened to the interviews by Battosay on YouTube) and I remember you discussing this aspect of your design philosophy. I understand that there is some history to this mod (not that I get it completely, nor do I wish to reopen sensitive topics), but overall, it was listening to you discuss your concept of design and your approach to this mod that made me want to check it out. Since I am not a programmer and my only experience with games is as an end-user, it is very interesting hear about gameplay issues, design, balancing, etc. from someone with a lot of experience.

And like I said, this mod makes Minecraft feel more complete, so of course it would be natural to incorporate it into my world, and it will be interesting to see what can be done with the options it offers.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Panda wrote:Thank you soo much for being as ascetically picky as i am! <3
I'de say we're glad to have you.
Yoroshiku ne!
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Flesh_Engine wrote:Cool :)

Do be mindful where you place fire/lava since it looks rather flammable.
Well, the basement is mostly made of stone, so... :)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Looks great! I love the 'observation deck'.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her