New Release! (BTW V3.62)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.62)

Post by FlowerChild »

Ca fait mal. Happy happy new release. Why you no like release? Send money.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Aucun argent n'est, triste.

I owe you quite a bit sir.

Your constant endeavors shall be rewarded in time.

But alas; Temps est une pute.

[Yay Online Translators]

You f'n rock hard tasty abs for putting out such a huge bug-fix release.

Party on, my Lord.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

<dances>
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Ooh, the king of bugfix updates! Tres bien ^^

I hope you have/had a great night and next morning is not scary :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Thanks for the release FC ! First time I see you writing in French, I kinda hesitated on the words as I wasn't expecting them =p

And I would say your evening wasn't very prude, was it ?
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Thanks a lot for this one bro :)
The save/load fix is amazing !! :)

Though, one bad point, I had to disable the new option for that :
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed the way Gear Boxes power up and down so that powering down takes 1 tick (1/20th of a second) less time than powering up. In normal operation, this should make very little difference, but for the dirty bastards that were using exploits to create infinite power-loops, it means that these loops will slowly bleed off power until they are non-functional. However, I've provided an option in the mod config file to disable this setting as testing has revealed that it can break particularly complex existing builds. Please give it a try though and let me know what you think.
It was breaking almost every advanced timer and counter I had :/

Oh, and, remember :
FlowerChild wrote:Ca fait mal. Happy happy new release. Why you no like release? Send money.
That's precisely the behavior you feared, when you were wondering weither or not accept donnation.
Don't get into that. ;)
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Woohoo!

Looks like all my systems are still functional including all bellows, auto kiln, auto soul urn maker and my automated cart 'bring me my stuff' system. Maybe I should make another vid.

Thanks again FC and grats.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Thanks a lot for this one bro :)
The save/load fix is amazing !! :)
Good stuff :)
Battosay wrote: Though, one bad point, I had to disable the new option for that :

It was breaking almost every advanced timer and counter I had :/
Yeah, I was worried some people might be affected like that, which is why I delayed releasing this by a day and eventually settled on making it an option.

In the end, I decided that if I were to create the mechanical system from scratch, that's the way I'd like it to be, and it's the way I'd like new players to experience it, but there was just too much potential for damage to leave it always on.
Battosay wrote: That's precisely the behavior you feared, when you were wondering weither or not accept donnation.
Don't get into that. ;)
Don't worry about me man. That was just my drunken tongue-in-cheek humor :)

I actually did receive a few very nice donations last night.

Ok...I'm going back to bed and will likely say "ow" several times on the way...
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Thanks for the update man! You have no idea how grateful I am for the block update thing, I can't even keep track of how many times clocks have broken for me even pre-BTW because of that stupid bug. Also, hope you enjoyed your night out ;)
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

So just to verify, does everything seem to be working well with my changes to the block-update system?

I tested just about as thoroughly as is reasonable, but of course with a change that impacts so many aspects of the game, I was experiencing some trepidation at the possibility of everyone's games exploding in a gooey mess.

So far so good?
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

FlowerChild wrote:So just to verify, does everything seem to be working well with my changes to the block-update system?

I tested just about as thoroughly as is reasonable, but of course with a change that impacts so many aspects of the game, I was experiencing some trepidation at the possibility of everyone's games exploding in a gooey mess.

So far so good?
Works for me so far, but I did notice a bit of strangeness in the timing of my bellows system which was the first thing I tested, but after that everything was cool in any other block update tests I did. Can't confirm anything yet, but I'm studying my bellows right now to get more info.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtChuckle wrote: Works for me so far, but I did notice a bit of strangeness in the timing of my bellows system which was the first thing I tested, but after that everything was cool in any other block update tests I did. Can't confirm anything yet, but I'm studying my bellows right now to get more info.
That likely has more to do with the mechanical-power change than the block update one.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Yup, after adjusting my bellows timer to be one tick slower I've had no problems, with that or the block update fix. Thanks for the release, and congrats on 6000 posts :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Briali wrote:Yup, after adjusting my bellows timer to be one tick slower I've had no problems, with that or the block update fix. Thanks for the release, and congrats on 6000 posts :)
<dances>

:)

Yeah, generally the builds that run into trouble with the mech-power change are those that were really border-line with regards to timing, and where a single tick difference can throw them off. That's the main problem with Turntables that power other Turntables with this new system for example. Previously, they were right on the line with regards to having just enough time to rotate one notch, so the 1 tick difference suddenly makes them non-functional unless you adjust the timing.

In retrospect, I feel that I should have introduced some variance into the timing of the mechanical systems to begin with as that would result in them feeling much more organic, and precise timing could have been left to later tech-levels. I sincerely doubt that these kind of wood-based mechanisms could generate very precise timing, as we're not talking about machined parts with a steady power supply here.

Anyways, it's not something I'm likely to change now as that would severely mess up people's builds, more something that I'll keep in mind for future projects.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I think variance in timing can be compensated for with more turntables and some clever redstone. Something like an and gate could be used so that it only triggers if a certain number of turntables hit within a certain time. I think that would effectively average out the timing.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

johnt wrote:I think variance in timing can be compensated for with more turntables and some clever redstone. Something like an and gate could be used so that it only triggers if a certain number of turntables hit within a certain time. I think that would effectively average out the timing.
That said, now we have flawless redstone thanks to FC's bugfix, accurate and reliable timing can be done purely with redstone.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote:I think variance in timing can be compensated for with more turntables and some clever redstone. Something like an and gate could be used so that it only triggers if a certain number of turntables hit within a certain time. I think that would effectively average out the timing.
That might work. The point wouldn't be that there wouldn't be ways around it though. The point would be that it would give people one more thing to consider, an aspect that would fit the technology involved, and something to strive for in more advanced technology.

It would serve to differentiate the existing mech power from additional technology that may be included in the mod down the road, and from redstone.
Stormweaver wrote: That said, now we have flawless redstone thanks to FC's bugfix, accurate and reliable timing can be done purely with redstone.
Yup, exactly. That bug-fix also makes the Turntable less desirable as a feature. You may remember that the suggestion that finally "sold" me on the idea of the Turntable was to allow rotating of redstone torches to create accurate timers. Now that vanilla bug has been squashed, there' no real need to do that.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

first of all:
CONGRATULATIONS FOR BEING 100% (known) BUG FREE! :D
FlowerChild wrote: Anyways, it's not something I'm likely to change now as that would severely mess up people's builds, more something that I'll keep in mind for future projects.
or possibly with a huge change to the MC code, resulting in major rewrites happening for all mods, potentially leaving no choice but to break worlds... but what are the odds of such a major change happening soon? :P

(actually, come to think of it, slightly off topic, but how likely is is that the MC SSP/SMP merge will break worlds? (if it's likely, it could be your chance to add all of those features that you've thought of in hindsight, but couldn't add :P))
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I just finished redesigning my bellows system and aside from having to create a separate drive train, it wasnt' a huge deal. And actually, the act of taking it apart and putting it back together revealed a problem where a nearby machine was creating redstone interference that would have broken the machine had I turned it on, so it turned out to be a good thing. All and All I can't say that the minor broken-machine inducing bug-fix was really all that problematic.

I'm not really happy with redstone timers working again, honestly. I mean, I'm glad that the bug that caused them to stop working is gone, but I'm a little sad that they are easier to build, have a smaller footprint, and function better than a turntable clock.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Calcifire3691 wrote:(actually, come to think of it, slightly off topic, but how likely is is that the MC SSP/SMP merge will break worlds? (if it's likely, it could be your chance to add all of those features that you've thought of in hindsight, but couldn't add :P))
I'd say unlikely, as they just introduced a new save format and I doubt even Mojang is inept enough to put out an official version that breaks everyone's saves when they convert to the new local server format.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I don't see any world-breakage in Minecraft's future either. And seriously, if it did happen, it might cause me to lose interest in the game.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I don't see any world-breakage in Minecraft's future either. And seriously, if it did happen, it might cause me to lose interest in the game.
I would personally write a converter to drag your ass back into it :p
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Alright then so because of
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed the way Gear Boxes power up and down so that powering down takes 1 tick (1/20th of a second) less time than powering up. In normal operation, this should make very little difference, but for the dirty bastards that were using exploits to create infinite power-loops, it means that these loops will slowly bleed off power until they are non-functional. However, I've provided an option in the mod config file to disable this setting as testing has revealed that it can break particularly complex existing builds. Please give it a try though and let me know what you think.
This setup doesn't work anymore... I'll change it up but just pointing it out.
Basically what's happening is that the middle gearbox is being powered up and down and the bleeding isn't making it to the other bellows.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Deepsniper wrote: This setup doesn't work anymore... I'll change it up but just pointing it out.
Basically what's happening is that the middle gearbox is being powered up and down and the bleeding isn't making it to the other bellows.
Yup, I anticipated things like that. The easy solution is to just slow down your timer. With the other changes I made, Bellows and their associated Stoked fire are much more stable with slower timers now.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Yeah thanks :) I fixed that. I love the mod FC!!