Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheAnarchitect

Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve?

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Oh, today was a bad day in the nether.

I just finished my full suit of soulsteel plate armor, and decided that an adventure in the nether was just the thing to test it out. I had also just crafted my first bloodwood saplings and wanted to see how they worked. Long story short, I wind up with 1 HP, on fire, in a 1x1 hole 3 deep, with a pissed off zombie pigman. So I died. But the worst part is what happened next. The bottom of the hole was soulsand. The bloodwood sapling in my inventory planted itself. It grew. It destroyed all my other drops, including all my soulsteel equipment.

"And that was but one of the many occasions on which I met my death. An experience I don't hesitate, strongly, to recommend."

Help me feel better about my day by sharing your own Tales of Woe. How has a feature of BTW killed you horribly?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Twitch

Re: Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve

Post by Twitch »

My Steve met his death Towering Inferno style. I was just learning about Hibachi, and had all of my BTW tech tree crammed into (and around the outside) of my first windmill... Now I thought that two blocks above the highest hibatchi flame made of stone was good enough.. turns out it wasn't.

I attempted to put out the raging fire with a frantic ascent to the top, to place a bucket of water I always keep on me. Along the way I caught fire, and managed to make it to the top alive, but with only a fraction of health left to spare. Proud of myself, I aimed at the highest block to place the water source, thus dousing all of my flaming creations, when the block underneath me burned away, and sent me plummeting to my death in a fiery abyss of quickly dying dreams.

And that is one of the ways BTW has killed poor steve.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Once, when I was working on making steel, I had an open-air ugly-as-hell workshop, and I was just about to put my soul urns in the crucible.

Unfortunately, I was standing on a bellows when I did so, and it expanded. Which shifted my aim away from the crucible.

While I was holding a soul urn.

...Yeah.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Fortunately I haven't lost anything that significant. Man that's rough.

I was completing my chicken farm and while placing a couple of blocks, I fell into my water stream leading to my saws. Of course I'd made the sides of the channel two high and breaking it would have caused a ton of water to demolish some redstone controls and a monostable clock so I opted to test the fate of my future chickens. Hoppers picked up my inventory after my bloody death and all was right with the world.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

Accidentally powered the bellows while there is hellfire in my cauldron. This is three seperate tales of woe.
Thaery

Post by Thaery »

@Twitch.....that is a pretty epic death.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I do recall a second, recent, and particularly startling experience. My sound was off and I was busy converting my sfs factory to handle both soul dust and ground netherrack and automatically switch between the two. I was in the middle of my redstone mess trying to debug it and the world around me exploded! I turn around and I find myself face to face with a ghast shooting me through the windows...and wrecking havoc on my factory. A second explosion knocked out my shield around my kiln setting nearby gearboxes on fire and in my attempt to put them out, I caught on fire. I decided to take out the ghast and jumped off my sfs in order to hit it with my battleaxe... I did succeed in slaying the giant white beast but my victory was short lived as Steve narrowly missed the slightly damaging ground and plummeted into the depths of a cave exposed by a creeper crater... Flaming, battleaxe wielding Steve splattered on the cavern floor.

All this was caused by having accidentally run a redstone wire one floor above on a gearbox which was part of the wooden floor. This gearbox just so happened to be powering a chain that led to the soul filtering hopper.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

SterlingRed wrote:I do recall a second, recent, and particularly startling experience. My sound was off and I was busy converting my sfs factory to handle both soul dust and ground netherrack and automatically switch between the two. I was in the middle of my redstone mess trying to debug it and the world around me exploded! I turn around and I find myself face to face with a ghast shooting me through the windows...and wrecking havoc on my factory. A second explosion knocked out my shield around my kiln setting nearby gearboxes on fire and in my attempt to put them out, I caught on fire. I decided to take out the ghast and jumped off my sfs in order to hit it with my battleaxe... I did succeed in slaying the giant white beast but my victory was short lived as Steve narrowly missed the slightly damaging ground and plummeted into the depths of a cave exposed by a creeper crater... Flaming, battleaxe wielding Steve splattered on the cavern floor.

All this was caused by having accidentally run a redstone wire one floor above on a gearbox which was part of the wooden floor. This gearbox just so happened to be powering a chain that led to the soul filtering hopper.
This reminds me of Reign of Fire. I could so picture that happening. :D

I misdesigned a mob trap moat and had a couple of zombies hanging out at the water source blocks making a lot of racket. Annoyed, I built myself a quick stairway down and slew the beasties, but they knocked me off of my perch and into the flowing portion of the water. I promptly washed into wall o' saws and ended up greasy bits.

Zombies 1
Ulfengaard 0
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

My worst was before I really did too much with concentrated hellfire creation... I stoked the caldron... In my cramped house... Inches away...
*cries*
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Found a dungeon. Planted torches and then proceeded to mine some mossystone and start to set it up as a mossy stone farm.

I knocked through a 2x1 hole into a cavern in the process, knocking off one off my torches.

Apparently this was enough of a reduction in light for a zombie to instantly spawn right behind me and knock me through my hole, into the cavern and right into a lava pit.

I HATE lava. It's like a magnet to my steel armour.

Couldn't play that world for a while after that.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

I don't even know how many times I've fallen off a floating axle as I try to put my precious windmill on the end of it. It seems like no matter what, there is an angry mob at the bottom to finish off poor fall-weakened Steve.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Before I got automated, my Dung production room was just an 8x8 darkroom (with a piston door so as to not let light out through a door) with about 25 wolves crammed into it. I would run in with about a half stack of random food I had lying around and just spam the Q key while spinning in circles to distribute the food. However, at one point I didn't check the tooltip before throwing some raw meat at the wolves. Well... It was wolfchops. I was slaughtered.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
fearofshorts

Post by fearofshorts »

I once was trying to replace the gearbox connected to my windmill (on the side of a tall mountain's cliff) which had exploded after a bit of rain. Of course, a spider attacked me and I plummetted straight off the cliff.

So, after gathering up my scattered valuables, I climb back up through the centre of the mountain and approached the windmill again. A storm had just started up, but my killswitch to the windmill was active already anyway. I planned to replace the gearbox, then get back inside out of the cold, and go to sleep in my nice warm bed situated directly above my netherrack-grinding millstones.

Naturally scared of more spiders I kept my eyes peeled. Not a single mob was nearby, the spider must have despawned or wandered off. So I walked to the edge and placed the gearbox. Then, of all things, a bolt of lightning hit me. The bolt only did a few hearts of damage to me, but, as you'd expect after being hit by one of nature's most distructive powers, it did displace me a bit. Right off that same damn cliff.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

fearofshorts wrote:I once was trying to replace the gearbox connected to my windmill (on the side of a tall mountain's cliff) which had exploded after a bit of rain. Of course, a spider attacked me and I plummetted straight off the cliff.

So, after gathering up my scattered valuables, I climb back up through the centre of the mountain and approached the windmill again. A storm had just started up, but my killswitch to the windmill was active already anyway. I planned to replace the gearbox, then get back inside out of the cold, and go to sleep in my nice warm bed situated directly above my netherrack-grinding millstones.

Naturally scared of more spiders I kept my eyes peeled. Not a single mob was nearby, the spider must have despawned or wandered off. So I walked to the edge and placed the gearbox. Then, of all things, a bolt of lightning hit me. The bolt only did a few hearts of damage to me, but, as you'd expect after being hit by one of nature's most distructive powers, it did displace me a bit. Right off that same damn cliff.
Now this was worth a good laugh :D.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Well, my turn to tell my tale...

When I built my elevator, I knew it would some day be the death of me. It works with two light-beams running through the corners of the platform, one to handle the brake, one to toggle the direction. Triggering them requires half-moving into the beam, which also involves half-moving over a 1x1 hole that leads to a deeeeeeeep drop. Ofcourse, since there was no lava at the bottom, I knew that if I ever took the plunge, I'd just have to go down the stairs to pick up my stuff... or so I thought...

I was happily building a vaulted ceiling halfway up the mineshaft when I suddenly heard it activate. Figuring I had accidentally knocked a block past the brake-beam, I quickly triggered the direction beam to get it back up again. The moment it was close, I jumped onto the platform and rushed for the brake-beam to stop it at that floor... and then I overstepped.... several long seconds later I smashed into the floor of my elevator-shaft only to find the reason why it had suddenly started moving... there, right on top of the lens, right next to my broken and battered corpse were four legs... four green legs... and upon seeing my mangled remains the creeper decided to do the only thing it knew how to do... it blew up!

He wrecked my lens and blew up all of my stuff other than 51 torches, 31 stone and 31 dirt... the half-stack of lightblocks I was carrying? gone... the various enchanted soulforged steel tools I had? gone...

ah well, guess I need to get to work on some elevator doors >.>
risingphoenix

Post by risingphoenix »

Man, these are great, mine is a bit simpler, but still face palm worthy. I play in a jungle world with a 2 tier tree house on top of an island in a river, so to start with it is fairly high up. I haven't gotten to lenses yet, so I have an rs xnor(?) Latch at the top for toggling power, between trying to do the vertical stack of rs torches, placcing the platform, and setting up the power source on the roof I probbably fell to my death around 6 times, losing about a half stack of rs torches and a diamond pick.
IowaGuy wrote: Because if one is going to build a cow farm it should be a glorious automated symphony of cows doing the saw mill boogey.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I was working in my soul forge steel factory, creeper snuck in, blew me up, only 1 crucible survived, to have my hellfire dust fall into the crucible. I respawned in my bed.... next to the crucible, double boom FML... i cried, literally. girlfriend had to nake fried chicken to make my ass feel better. : (
Never say no to Panda.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

That's HILARIOUS!
mr_spoonylegs

Post by mr_spoonylegs »

I was making a mob trap.... with saws, and I don't know why but I ended up fighting a current of water, while fighting of zombies. to avoid the pending doom of the saw blades.

I felt like I was in a Indiana Jones film for something
"My friends call me Spoonlegs"
And yes, I drew it myself.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

Panda wrote:girlfriend had to nake [...] to make my ass feel better. : (
Felt bad for you until I slipped at that typo. Burst in laughter while thinking of the wrong way of cheering up.

That being said, I realize I haven't been dying recently... The only way I usually die is Steve deciding to jump from my current building project for no discernible reason whatsoever. The impact seems to be so big that my items are scattered all over the place, so sometimes I can't find half of my stuff... annoying but not tragic. Why can't I fail epicly?
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Panda

Post by Panda »

Jay42 wrote:
Panda wrote:girlfriend had to nake [...] to make my ass feel better. : (
Felt bad for you until I slipped at that typo. Burst in laughter while thinking of the wrong way of cheering up.

That being said, I realize I haven't been dying recently... The only way I usually die is Steve deciding to jump from my current building project for no discernible reason whatsoever. The impact seems to be so big that my items are scattered all over the place, so sometimes I can't find half of my stuff... annoying but not tragic. Why can't I fail epicly?
does that not make sense in english? i understand the nake part though.
Never say no to Panda.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Panda wrote:does that not make sense in english? i understand the nake part though.
No no, it makes perfect sense. Not sure what he found that funny though.
Panda

Post by Panda »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
Panda wrote:does that not make sense in english? i understand the nake part though.
No no, it makes perfect sense. Not sure what he found that funny though.
i think he was saying chicken makes my literal butt feel better...eww... : (
gross boy : )
Never say no to Panda.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Panda wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote: No no, it makes perfect sense. Not sure what he found that funny though.
i think he was saying chicken makes my literal butt feel better...eww... : (
gross boy : )

Probably tacked a 'd' onto the end of it. I did when I first read it.

As to a tale of woe, my biggest failure to date was when I was building a collapsible hallway. The plan was to have block dispensers spit out smooth stone, pistons and circuitry to close in a hallway that lead to my nether portal. I couldn't get the timing right though, and was doing a little trial and error when it went off, with me inside. Suffocated inside a hallway. Guess the soul urns I put in those wanted a bit of revenge.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

See, this is why I started this thread. The idea that soul-urn powered items attempt to kill you on occasion is awesome.