New Release! (BTW V3.60)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Thalarctia

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.60)

Post by Thalarctia »

Stormweaver wrote:This only occurs when a BD swallows another BD. You can empty anything else as normal.
Block Dispenser-ception? A BD in a BD, how far can you take it? :-p
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Just 1 deep: you can't have anything in the inventory of a block in another inventory.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Just 1 deep: you can't have anything in the inventory of a block in another inventory.
Way to burst their bubble...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

Well, it's true. I don't see why we should get people hyped up on something that won't work.
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

[quote="Husbag3]Way to burst their bubble...[/quote]

Oh come on, everyone knows that when playing with bubbles one person blows and everyone else pops them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Off-topic guys.
mr_spoonylegs

Post by mr_spoonylegs »

Wow fc, you are THE best
Im looking foward to more sleepless nights and more BTW
Bo-ya!!!
"My friends call me Spoonlegs"
And yes, I drew it myself.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

WHY HASN'T ANYONE TOLD ME D:

This is an exquisite update. I'm sorely tempted to call it one of the best ones so far.

I can finally climb ropes (again). Finally a cure for my crippled limbs!
Lively base, here I come, I hope the testificates won't mind if I wall them in and just keep the golems around.
Cauldron/Crucible typing = awesome. Honestly, that's the best part of this update.
Except perhaps for the bellows thing. This really puts that "more uses for leather" into perspective.
The mycelium upgrade is awesome. Did you know that you can shear the shrooms from a baby mooshroom to make it into a grown cow? Yes, I think you're getting it.
And the list just goes on and on :) There's something for everyone in this update.

THANK YOU!
Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

Thank you for the update Flowerchild. This update is making me want to play minecraft, and it makes me want to automate everything. I hope I can achieve this.
Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, Come marching home
Brave soldier boy, Comes marching home
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Yay, the cauldron tipping thing is awesome! I always disliked the fact that if a factory system had a cauldron or crucible in it, it would have to be the very last thing that occurred in the factory. Of course, this does remove some functionality of the Hopper and makes it essentially a filter. Also, while the cauldron is "tipped" can you put items into it? If you can put items in while it is, that doesn't make much sense, considering the side that lets stuff in is now on the bottom letting stuff out. Upon tippage it should act like a pulse of letting stuff out and then not let any items in until the mechanical power is turned off and then not let any items out again until mechanical power is applied again.
EDIT: 200 posts w00t.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

SgtChuckle wrote:Yay, the cauldron tipping thing is awesome! I always disliked the fact that if a factory system had a cauldron or crucible in it, it would have to be the very last thing that occurred in the factory. Of course, this does remove some functionality of the Hopper and makes it essentially a filter. Also, while the cauldron is "tipped" can you put items into it? If you can put items in while it is, that doesn't make much sense, considering the side that lets stuff in is now on the bottom letting stuff out. Upon tippage it should act like a pulse of letting stuff out and then not let any items in until the mechanical power is turned off and then not let any items out again until mechanical power is applied again.
Items don't enter the cauldron/crucible while it is tipped over. Sometimes it is a good idea to do some quick testing by yourself in creative mode or even your main world before criticizing features.

Also, here are some things the hopper can do that the c/c still can't:
  • Insert items into the inventories of other blocks
  • Output a redstone signal when full
  • Filter the items that come in
  • Drop items straight down so that they will land on the block directly below no matter the height
I think it's safe to trust that FC will not ruin his own mod, by deprecating older features or by messing with balance.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Tropa

Post by Tropa »

Awesome update!

tipping stewing pots and such? more automation! :)

renewable clay... god yes.
A Drop Of Water Can Cause A Tidalwave.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtChuckle wrote:Also, while the cauldron is "tipped" can you put items into it? If you can put items in while it is, that doesn't make much sense, considering the side that lets stuff in is now on the bottom letting stuff out. Upon tippage it should act like a pulse of letting stuff out and then not let any items in until the mechanical power is turned off and then not let any items out again until mechanical power is applied again.
Thanks for that long winded critique of the way the feature doesn't work, when you could have just checked it yourself.

Temp ban for your 200th. Congrats.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Here's a little fun with tipping Cauldrons:
Spoiler
Show
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

OMG you did a good job on that FC! and cool vid TheAnarchitect.

I haven't done any tipping cauldrons yet and I just assumed they'd fall out the bottom or something but CHEERS, it looks real good. Actual tipping, actual pouring onto square beside, inside levels decreasing and increasing. I don't know why I wouldn't have expected less than full awesome.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I wonder if this could be used for long distance item transport as it resets the despawn timer...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Here's a little fun with tipping Cauldrons:
Hehe...neat :)
Husbag3 wrote:I wonder if this could be used for long distance item transport as it resets the despawn timer...
Well, it would be a bit more efficient than a Hopper for that purpose as you only have to drop by one block when doing it instead of 2, plus you get the extra block of horizontal travel from the tipped Cauldron. On the other hand, it would be a bit more resource intensive as you'd need the iron or clay for the pot or crucible, plus the timing circuit to periodically tip it, which would likely mean a Turntable to avoid freezing on load.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I actually tested this as a means of collecting pottery from a kiln in the nether, as hoppers have this tendency to combust. This would get the pottery far enough away from the fire and then dump it in the hopper. But mostly it's pretty.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Rawny wrote: I haven't done any tipping cauldrons yet and I just assumed they'd fall out the bottom or something but CHEERS, it looks real good. Actual tipping, actual pouring onto square beside, inside levels decreasing and increasing. I don't know why I wouldn't have expected less than full awesome.
Indeed. Color me impressed. That's real craftsmanship there.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:which would likely mean a Turntable to avoid freezing on load.
Oh? Sorry for the off topic, but i thought they fixed that, didn't they? I would swear they did, none of my clocks has frozen on load since they said they did..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: Oh? Sorry for the off topic, but i thought they fixed that, didn't they? I would swear they did, none of my clocks has frozen on load since they said they did..
If they said they did, I never saw it. Do you have a reference? It would definitely qualify as news to me, and would likely have a lot of other implications for the mod.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:If they said they did, I never saw it. Do you have a reference? It would definitely qualify as news to me, and would likely have a lot of other implications for the mod.
I remember them saying it was fixed as well, but for the life of me can't find a reference to it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, the question of the day then is definitely "is it fixed"? I might take a dig in the code tomorrow, but if someone (or preferably multiple someones) can confirm before I do that, I'd be much obliged.

If it is fixed, I'd hope that it would mean that block-updates that are scheduled for a block are now saved, but I really don't have the impression that's the case. It would solve a shit-ton of save/load issues.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, the question of the day then is definitely "is it fixed"? I might take a dig in the code tomorrow, but if someone (or preferably multiple someones) can confirm before I do that, I'd be much obliged.

If it is fixed, I'd hope that it would mean that block-updates that are scheduled for a block are now saved, but I really don't have the impression that's the case. It would solve a shit-ton of save/load issues.
Well you caught me right next to my redstone chest so I can give this a quick test:
Results as follows: (don't know the code so I tried to err on the side of including more information than was necessary)

I can move this to bug reporting if that would be preferable.

EDIT: and only ten minutes after I post do I think to check the timestamps. I'll take the liberty of moving this to bug reporting where it won't interfere with discussion here, and see if anyone on the IRC or elsewhere can be wrangled into it.

EDIT the second: Have moved the results to the Bug testing forum. You will find results of additional testing from myself and a friend there as well.

Here's the link to the topic.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

The Phoenixian wrote:
EDIT the second: Have moved the results to the Bug testing forum. You will find results of additional testing from myself and a friend there as well.
[/url]
I doubt the bug report forum is appropriate, since it would be a vanilla bug in any case.
Your two repeater fast clock also falls under a different category imo. If the repeater would get stuck, it should be possible to remove a piece of redstone in between and the repeater would stay on. What seems to be the problem is that this clock is pulsing so rapidly, that both are set to on on load and therefore supply power to each other like they would with a too long starting pulse.

I can confirm that the bug definitely existed in 1.2.3, because it had to unjam several repeaters in my smooth stone generator (Chaechew style with buddy blocks).
But now on 1.2.5 I couldn't reproduce it a single time with over a dozen reloads ( both save/quit and load and running to chunk unloading distance and back).
I only encountered lava over flowing water without turning it to smooth stone once and a buddy block stuck on on, but the buddy block reset itself after a bit.